Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Minekaze

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,703
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,780 posts
16,824 battles

I decided to start grinding the IJN line of DD's. The reason is to hopefully have the T9 Kitakaze for the next T9 regular ranked.

The USN line is the only tech tree DD line I've fully ground to T10. I have since learned the two play different. (yes late to the party)

A bit of a learning curve, playing the Minekaze as a pure torpedo boat. Curious about other peoples ideas and suggestions on how to play it against other DD's. Other than stealth torping DD's who sit in smoke. What are some good strategies against gunboat DD's? I've had more luck stealth torping battleships and cruisers occasionally.

Also when does the IJN line start leaning toward the gun boat DD's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,759
[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,654 battles
16 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Tier 8 Aki is the first real gunboat

Akatsuki at T7 would like a word with you on that matter.

 

OP, the best strat when dealing with gunbotes is to not be alone, and don't push caps early. Use your better, usually, detection to keep them lit so they get run off, and use your torps to help with that, as well. IJN DDs are quite good at torping other DD's.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
527
Members
596 posts
10,788 battles
5 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

A bit of a learning curve, playing the Minekaze as a pure torpedo boat. Curious about other peoples ideas and suggestions on how to play it against other DD's. Other than stealth torping DD's who sit in smoke. What are some good strategies against gunboat DD's? I've had more luck stealth torping battleships and cruisers occasionally.

Also when does the IJN line start leaning toward the gun boat DD's?

It starts just after Shiratsuyu, with Akizuki.

You can deal with enemy DDs, IJN 127mm guns are no joke and cannot count the number of times I won gun duels with full torpedo Asashio just because people doesn't realise that they eat 4k every time I shoot them. Now, that said don't get into fight that you are not sure to win, at the start of the game play very wide, stay on your edge of the cap but if it's contested for too long, push at 1/4 speed, you detection will do the job for you. Try to avoid getting spotted and preserve as much health as you can until mid/late game when you can be very agressive, ambush BBs, punish straight liners and finish off the enemy DDs while capping. 

One wonderful little trick for DD fights on IJN DDs: Kite like mad, you have 2 turrets back so just kite and turn to show the front gun when they are about 1.5s to reload to maximize your DPM and minimize the damage you take. It works wonders, you can easily kill half health Harugumos because they go very confident, miss most of their shoots and you melt them away every salvo.

As for the gunboats, don't cap, go extremely wide on the enemy and get the flanks. Take AFT to get 15.1km range and start to melt away whatever is in your range, if they shoot back and you have poor dodging skills, just smoke and keep the farming going. As simple as it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,219
[RLGN]
Members
14,817 posts
26,335 battles
55 minutes ago, XurMP said:

As for the gunboats, don't cap, go extremely wide on the enemy and get the flanks. Take AFT to get 15.1km range and start to melt away whatever is in your range, if they shoot back and you have poor dodging skills, just smoke and keep the farming going. As simple as it gets.

If you say so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
527
Members
596 posts
10,788 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If you say so...

How you play Harugumo? Kita can cap with 5.9 but on Haru I won't want to be in 12km of a BB to get dev striked by BB AP 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,219
[RLGN]
Members
14,817 posts
26,335 battles
19 minutes ago, XurMP said:

How you play Harugumo? Kita can cap with 5.9 but on Haru I won't want to be in 12km of a BB to get dev striked by BB AP 

No longer play it. It isn’t worth the effort. Neither is Kitakaze. I’d sooner play Akizuki in tier ten games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,703
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,780 posts
16,824 battles
7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

No longer play it. It isn’t worth the effort. Neither is Kitakaze. I’d sooner play Akizuki in tier ten games.

Was the Kitakaze nerfed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,219
[RLGN]
Members
14,817 posts
26,335 battles
8 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Was the Kitakaze nerfed?

No, I just consider it to be a useless, unmaneuverable pig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,703
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,780 posts
16,824 battles
6 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

No, I just consider it to be a useless, unmaneuverable pig.

Interesting. I don't have it but always see four DD's in T9 regular ranked ruling the caps. Z49, Jutland, Kitakaze, and Black.

I don't have any German DD's. I have piddled with lower tier British DD premiums. Black is behind a steel wall. Started grinding the IJN line. Thought about grinding to the Kitakaze and free XP'ing the Jutland. Tired of being bullied out of the caps in the Fletcher and the Benham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,219
[RLGN]
Members
14,817 posts
26,335 battles
4 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Interesting. I don't have it but always see four DD's in T9 regular ranked ruling the caps. Z49, Jutland, Kitakaze, and Black.

I don't have any German DD's. I have piddled with lower tier British DD premiums. Black is behind a steel wall. Started grinding the IJN line. Thought about grinding to the Kitakaze and free XP'ing the Jutland. Tired of being bullied out of the caps in the Fletcher and the Benham. 

Hooray for power creep, and worthless teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,654
[-K-]
Members
8,489 posts
14,853 battles
42 minutes ago, XurMP said:

You can deal with enemy DDs, IJN 127mm guns are no joke and cannot count the number of times I won gun duels with full torpedo Asashio just because people doesn't realise that they eat 4k every time I shoot them.

Great point here.  Although they lack the fast reload of other nation's DDs, Japanese DD guns are typically overlooked and underestimated with regards to their potency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,703
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,780 posts
16,824 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hooray for power creep, and worthless teams.

The Gearing is the most power crept USN ship in the game just my opinion. I am getting to where I only play it in clan battle settings. Random and Ranked it feels a lot more solo'ish. If I want to play top tier DD's in Random it is the Fletcher and Benham because they have a tighter turning circle.  Gearing is like the steering has taken a torpedo into the rudder and it is slow as smoke on a cold day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×