You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mpwardawg

Alt Accounts - why?

82 comments in this topic

[TRU]
Members
695 posts
20,113 battles

Hello all.  What is the reason(s) for making a 2nd account?  Resetting stats?  Grind again?  Clan change?  Get around a ban?

Somewhat related, what is with the "Renamed user 2625155" names?  

I am truly wondering if I am missing out on some other reason to make another account.  

Thanks and fair seas.:cap_rambo:

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles

Pretty much combinations of all of the above. 

Renamed users are people with names who were reported and switched by an admin of some sort. 

You’re not missing anything. 

• Cool 1

[TRU]
Members
695 posts
20,113 battles
2 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Renamed users are people with names who were reported and switched by an admin of some sort. 

Thanks - thought folks were gaining somenother benefit from it.  For those that are banned and create another account, I could foresee that becoming a game within itself. 

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Sure lots of people have different reasons. I know a lot of people just want a fresh start to make their stats look better. I myself have one for clan management since WG limits a clan tag to 50.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,998 posts
12,695 battles
11 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Hello all.  What is the reason(s) for making a 2nd account?  Resetting stats?  Grind again?  Clan change?  Get around a ban?

I am truly wondering if I am missing out on some other reason to make another account.  

4 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

These

For some, they are so far in the hole on WR, they would like to reroll to show better stats. Some because they want stats that reflect how much better they have gotten since they dug themselves into a stat hole when they were new. And some for ego reasons. 

Some do it to grind again. There are some that have NA and EU or other server accounts for regrinding or for a different meta. Some have ground all the lines and restarted because they like the journey and the Research Bureau was not yet available.

Not sure about a clan change as you can leave a clan and join another. If you want to be in two clans, then you would need two accounts.

I'm sure some are for getting around a ban, but WG may have ways of checking IP to see if it is the same person. That would not be fool proof, as we have 3 people in our household using computers, so I doubt WG relies only on that.

That said, there are some that evidently have a troll account and a main account, as they don't want their trolling to tarnish their main account reputation.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
6,597 posts
11,605 battles

One option I've considered making a second account for would so that a visiting guest could use my "guest" account as we play in a division together for cooperative game play.  Haven't done it yet, but if I ever set-up several computers to use for gaming parties, then the notion gains appeal.

• Cool 2

[TRU]
Members
695 posts
20,113 battles
4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

One option I've considered making a second account for would so that a visiting guest could use my "guest" account as we play in a division together for cooperative game play.  Haven't done it yet, but if I ever set-up several computers to use for gaming parties, then the notion gains appeal.

That just made me think of the recruiter's bonus deal lol.   

Also the mention of the troll account seems likely for some.  

[PVE]
Members
19,998 posts
12,695 battles
15 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

That's a good idea.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
6,597 posts
11,605 battles
4 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

That's a good idea.

Thank you.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,937 battles
1 hour ago, mpwardawg said:

Additional port slots is a reason I've seen given.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,785 posts
16,929 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Might could use Lexington Museum accounts.. 

lol j/k

That is a nobel idea though.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,873 posts
26,412 battles

I’ve thought about doing it as a matter of curiosity, to see if my stats actually would even be any better, or if I’m just as average as I think I am.

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,141 battles
2 hours ago, mpwardawg said:

Get around a ban?

That would be one for certain. If they had put money into the account that was banned they lost all of it and what they spent it on. Whether a spender or a free player if they continue the behavior that got them banned they will get banned again. 

I suppose one could have as many accounts as one wants but one can only play one at a time. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Members
1,262 posts
7,967 battles

Another question, maybe an even better question, is why not make an alt account? Seems there are far more reasons for making alt accounts than for not making them.

Now as to whether or not you should spend money on an alt account, that's another set of questions/answers entirely. 

[WOLF3]
Members
28,168 posts
24,510 battles

Some are Rerollers.  They want to make their stats look better with a new account, using their lessons they've learned, and tuck away the original account they got schooled in the game with.

• Confused 1

[KIA-C]
Members
3,551 posts
15,600 battles

I thought about rerolling my account so I can see how well I became at the game...And then I remember my account has quite a lot of ship and premium no longer obtainable... So I went screw rerolling

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
10 hours ago, mpwardawg said:

Most of the players I know that use Alt accounts do so to have their original account be the account they learn with so it has the worse stats on while the new Alt account has the good stats that benefit from the experiences learned in the original account.

Or like what I have done with Wargaming accounts they may use separate account for each type of WG game with separate emails and passwords for better security just in case one of the accounts was ever hacked, good way to ensure good damage control for online gaming if you tend to be a little cautious about things. I also did it so my Tanks would have player name better suited to tanks and my Warships player name is better suited for Warships. 

And finally some players will try multiple accounts to try and get around bans, but like many other online gaming companies Wargaming can initiate a trace of the user to figure out that single user is creating several alts and perma ban the IP address. Personally I much prefer simply playing by the rules.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
9 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I thought about rerolling my account so I can see how well I became at the game...And then I remember my account has quite a lot of ship and premium no longer obtainable... So I went screw rerolling

Yeah plus it takes so much time in WOWs to get through battles that creating a reroll account is far less favorable in addition to your reasons. Now in WOT Blitz a fair number of players have reroll accounts since the battles only take a max of 7 minutes so getting back up through tank lines is easier.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,277 posts
10,382 battles
12 hours ago, mpwardawg said:

Hello all.  What is the reason(s) for making a 2nd account?

So I can play without being recognized / focus fired every match.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

So I can play without being recognized / focus fired every match.

If only every game had a way to be anonymous that was as easy as changing your Steam nickname.

I actually got noticed in a match the other day, it was surreal usually I'm the one doing the calling out and squeeing that senpai noticed me.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WG-CC]
12,277 posts
10,382 battles
2 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

If only every game had a way to be anonymous that was as easy as changing your Steam nickname.

I actually got noticed in a match the other day, it was surreal usually I'm the one doing the calling out and squeeing that senpai noticed me.

It was pretty surreal when it first began happening with some regularity back in the Fall of 2016.  This was just after the NA vs EU CC crossover event.  I went from being recognized only rarely by other forum-goers to being picked out in nearly every match played.  Being focus-fired came soon after.  It was one thing to have someone I knew on the enemy team shooting at me (that's fair, I do the same!) to it not being unusual to have Priority Target tick over to 6+ regularly whenever I'm spotted.

[O_O]
Members
6,761 posts
16,165 battles

I'm sure playing test ships also makes you a high priority target.  Everyone wants to sink the new shiny thing that no one has, yet.

[WPORT]
Members
6,597 posts
11,605 battles
54 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It was pretty surreal when it first began happening with some regularity back in the Fall of 2016.  This was just after the NA vs EU CC crossover event.  I went from being recognized only rarely by other forum-goers to being picked out in nearly every match played.  Being focus-fired came soon after.  It was one thing to have someone I knew on the enemy team shooting at me (that's fair, I do the same!) to it not being unusual to have Priority Target tick over to 6+ regularly whenever I'm spotted.

:-D

Reminds me of this line from the television show, "Fame", though.  :-)

"... Well Fame costs.  And right here is where you start paying, in sweat."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtgmnhRQir4

[ARGSY]
Members
21,604 posts
15,660 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

YOU'RE the one who started the Throne of Skulls post. :Smile_teethhappy:

The other thing about some of the more prominent, long-standing YouTubers (including yourself) is that they are dangerous opponents that the enemy team rightly wants dead early.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
12,277 posts
10,382 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

YOU'RE the one who started the Throne of Skulls post. 

I wanted others to share in my pain!  :3

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2