Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Italian cruiser Tech tree

50 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles

From the performance of the Italian T5 cruisers I have I see no reason, except for a special event or mission, to play these ships or to take the time climb the tech tree. While the British cruiser line is bad at least you have the Fiji to look forward too. Hopefully WG will rework these ships to something more competitive.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,942 battles
3 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

k not sure telling us this helps...

Not really sure it hurts either.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

Not really sure it hurts either.

theres a feedback section though

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
902 posts
10,627 battles
15 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

From the performance of the Italian T5 cruisers I have I see no reason, except for a special event or mission, to play these ships or to take the time climb the tech tree. While the British cruiser line is bad at least you have the Fiji to look forward too. Hopefully WG will rework these ships to something more competitive.

Well, the Brit cruiser line is actually pretty solid as far as I’m concerned. Have everything from Leander to Mino. Use them in competitive modes often.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

There is a secret to having a high damage count in Italian cruisers. You just focus on other Italian cruisers.

shot-19_11.01_17_27.21-0721.thumb.jpg.5a012720cd123e05a3eb5d5131a203ce.jpg

• Funny 2

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

I've played the tier 5 it was really nice. I plan on keeping it since I sold all my other tier 5s except Kongo, really is enjoyable plus SAP is brutal on DD's. Meh Brit CL line is really only notable for Leander, Fiji and Mino. Rest are either meh or trash. Fiji is pretty meh compared to Abruzzi or Boise so...

Looking forward to full tech tree release so I can FXP to the tier 10 asap. 15 203s... :cap_fainting:

Edited by Stand_Alone97

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles
43 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

k not sure telling us this helps...

I'm not the only one with the opinion the T5 Italian cruisers fall a little short, even for T5 standards. Stating this in the forum may get WG to act, it may not. Some will disagree and I have no problem with that either.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
Just now, kgh52 said:

I'm not the only one with the opinion the T5 Italian cruisers fall a little short, even for T5 standards. Stating this in the forum may get WG to act, it may not. Some will disagree and I have no problem with that either.

then use the feedback section.

for the record i agree. But this part of the forum is not looked to for feedback.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,186 posts
12,016 battles

They are already working on possibly changing the richochet angle of SAP so it'll bounce off less, though they have been unclear if it is all ships 2-9 or tech tree only. Cause Genova is just.... bad. It needs the better SAP but even then still needs work beyond that. Unless it was given same tier matchmaking, even against some 6's is a stretch.

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Im actually enjoying the T8 Italian cruiser. So the line is not complete garabage.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
38 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

They are already working on possibly changing the richochet angle of SAP so it'll bounce off less, though they have been unclear if it is all ships 2-9 or tech tree only. Cause Genova is just.... bad. It needs the better SAP but even then still needs work beyond that. Unless it was given same tier matchmaking, even against some 6's is a stretch.

even including that, it often meats armor plates that can defeat it. any armored casemate on BBs for example. RU BBs are a literal passive hard counter.

A passive hard counter....think about that for a moment. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,107 posts
5,636 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

1) The Tier V Italian cruiser is very much weaker than the Tier VI and Tier VII Italian cruiser.

2) The British Tier V cruiser is very much weaker than the Tier VI and Tier VII British cruiser.

Now, I never have to play the Tier V Italian cruiser again unless they do a line split and add Italian CLs from VI through X so I don't have as many matches in it as I do in the Tier V British cruiser, but....I think the Tier V Italian cruiser is markedly superior to the Tier V British cruiser.

I don't plan on playing the Tier VI Italian cruiser much, but the Tier VII is entirely playable.  Getting a 20% buff to its ricochet angles will be nice.

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles
3 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

even including that, it often meats armor plates that can defeat it. any armored casemate on BBs for example. RU BBs are a literal passive hard counter.

I have found it extremely difficult to get any pens on the Russian BB Izmail or Sniop. Mainly Izmail. The way the BBs superstructure is laid out it makes it almost impossible to get pens with SAP even completely broadside. 

Members
855 posts
6,152 battles

Amalfi's early returns show she is tearing it up. I haven't played the lower tiers yet but Amalfi is actually kinda strong when played right. 10k salvos against thinned skin cruisers are no joke. I didn't like the ship at first but she has proven quite capable.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I have found it extremely difficult to get any pens on the Russian BB Izmail or Sniop. Mainly Izmail. The way the BBs superstructure is laid out it makes it almost impossible to get pens with SAP even completely broadside. 

Because you cant pen the caseamate, you have nothing but a sliver of superstructure.

SAP still has pen like HE. on the 203s you get 54mm. 

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
2 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

This is something I have noticed as well. If sap could cause flooding when hitting waterline this could be a really interesting effect, Against a battleship, you can really only do this in two places. Personally I think this could be a very interesting concept worth testing.

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
2 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Amalfi's early returns show she is tearing it up. I haven't played the lower tiers yet but Amalfi is actually kinda strong when played right. 10k salvos against thinned skin cruisers are no joke. I didn't like the ship at first but she has proven quite capable.

10k burst are awesome, but when your enemy is getting 2 salvos to your one and gets a fire out of 1 of them doesn't that also equal the same?

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
Just now, The_Chiv said:

This is something I have noticed as well. If sap could cause flooding when hitting waterline this could be a really interesting effect, Against a battleship, you can really only do this in two places. Personally I think this could be a very interesting concept worth testing.

It's something that people have suggested since CBT. I believe this was the case in CAT, and they decided it was not healthy.

The way i see it theres a few cases to be made

• Increase the pen, currently with the autobounce angles they have; 1/2 caliber may turn these rather flimsy shells into something that could really harm CLs, and still get consistent damage from BBs.
  •  Allow fires on penetrations.
  • nerf high tier RU BB plating back to 50mm where it belongs.

Members
855 posts
6,152 battles
3 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

10k burst are awesome, but when your enemy is getting 2 salvos to your one and gets a fire out of 1 of them doesn't that also equal the same?

Not in my experience. She can be kinda tanky and she doesn't get cit'd a ton. 

She is currently #2 in both dmg and WR for tier 8 cruisers.  

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
4 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

no because fires can be stacked, and can force people to damage control. or in the case of RU BBs, go through their consumable DC. HE also cant be angled against.

you cant have an ammunition type require more skill, and offer less rewards.

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
2 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

It's something that people have suggested since CBT. I believe this was the case in CAT, and they decided it was not healthy.

The way i see it theres a few cases to be made

• Increase the pen, currently with the autobounce angles they have; 1/2 caliber may turn these rather flimsy shells into something that could really harm CLs, and still get consistent damage from BBs.
  •  Allow fires on penetrations.
  • nerf high tier RU BB plating back to 50mm where it belongs.

Actually it was looked into during alpha, however since that time things have changed. Flooding is no longer you will die effect it once was before the rework. Fact is that if you limit this effect to a line of squishy low ROF cruisers it actually kinda balances out. Allowing fires on pens I think is a mistake personally.

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
4 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

no because fires can be stacked, and can force people to damage control. or in the case of RU BBs, go through their consumable DC. HE also cant be angled against.

you cant have an ammunition type require more skill, and offer less rewards.

Ehhhhhh... I think you just proved my point in this.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
Just now, The_Chiv said:

Actually it was looked into during alpha, however since that time things have changed. Flooding is no longer you will die effect it once was before the rework. Fact is that if you limit this effect to a line of squishy low ROF cruisers it actually kinda balances out. Allowing fires on pens I think is a mistake personally.

Certainly the situation has changed. 

I'm not a fan of adding more fire spam, i think it's a bit of a let down. But i do think it would balance things more. at the same time flood vs fire... its a nearly negligible thing to debate. 

Sign in to follow this