You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DefundedUser_1036628598

Octodroid AP broken

18 comments in this topic

Banned
259 posts
5,487 battles

I think the Twilight Battles are a great mode, what with all the truce and betrayal options etc.

Game theory at its best.

However, my impression is that the Octodroid AP is not working as intended.

I get hardly any damage even on broadsiding BBs. These are supposed to be 305mm guns. Rusty Nightfall 203mm volleys in similar situations routinely yield in excess of 20K 15K damage - with the Octodroid, you have to be glad if it's 5K.

WG recently did something similar on the Azuma and possibly Yoshino whose AP shells just got assigned the wrong caliber when these ships were launched. Something siomilar must have happened here.

Edited by FixCVs
correction

Banned
259 posts
5,487 battles
31 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

It's Alaska's 305mm guns. they wont punch BB belts.

OK but what you normally do is aim slightly above the belt and get loads of damage.

Octo AP also gets very few citadels on the cruisers.

I didn't play a lot of Alaska but something is amiss here.

Edited by FixCVs

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
Just now, FixCVs said:

OK but whyt you normally do is aim slightly above the belt and get loads of damage.

Octo AP also gets very few citadels on the cruisers.

I didn't play a lot of Alaska but something is amiss here.

you still need the shells to arm. so if theyre giving flat broadside, thats not thick enough. you need 50mm of effective armor to arm the shells. otherwise you get like 5k damage in overpens.

[BS]
Members
1,988 posts
11,127 battles
50 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

what>?

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
1 minute ago, HorrorRoach said:

what>?

• Funny 4
  • Boring 1

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

I think the issue is they are Alaska's guns but with much higher velocity. This combined with the general close range nature of the mode means you get lots of overpens. On the other hand their fire chance is insane and it's easy to rack up lots of damage that way.

[BS]
Members
1,988 posts
11,127 battles
4 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

THEN WHY CAN THE HENRI, THE NEXT SHIP AFTER ALASKA, GET CITADELS ON THE BB'S WITH 240MM AP? ALASKA IS ACTING AS A FREE XP SINK FOR THIS MODE, THEY HAVE YOU BY THE BALLS. SPECIAL SIGNALS DONT' BOOST EARNED XP LIKE ORDINARY. So you basically have to suffer through the Alaska for 20-30 games if you don't want to waste signals or free xp.

Edited by HorrorRoach

[BS]
Members
1,988 posts
11,127 battles

By the way, Fossil is worth free xping to... you'll earn back the free xp with the rewards you get by gathering more filth. It's so fast, and packs a wallop when needed. I also started getting more kills as soon as i switched to her. More kills=more consumables...

Edited by HorrorRoach

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

The Alaska is pretty great in this mode though, just not it's AP. It's HE has brit BB levels of fire chance. About the only time you don't get fires on a salvo is if they already have 4.

[BS]
Members
1,988 posts
11,127 battles
17 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

The Alaska is pretty great in this mode though, just not it's AP. It's HE has brit BB levels of fire chance. About the only time you don't get fires on a salvo is if they already have 4.

I think Fossil takes the cake because of the quick loading torps, you can manuver so fast to shoot both sides as you're approaching someone... they're reloaded in 9s!

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,440 posts
4,198 battles
3 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

Dude, the DM's 203mm guns can punch BB belts at close range. The AK can do it no problem. You need a flat broadside, and pretty close range. But they will easily citadel USN, IJN, and RU BBs under the right conditions. Of course if you're close enough to do that, the BB is just going blap you on the next reload, but that's another problem.

OP, don't know on your problem. AK AP should rip up upper belts and outright delete cruisers. Someone said it is higher velocity, which would cause more overpens. Also, who knows how the armor modeling works on the event ships, it may not be the same as the tech tree variants.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Dude, the DM's 203mm guns can punch BB belts at close range. The AK can do it no problem. You need a flat broadside, and pretty close range. But they will easily citadel USN, IJN, and RU BBs under the right conditions. Of course if you're close enough to do that, the BB is just going blap you on the next reload, but that's another problem.

OP, don't know on your problem. AK AP should rip up upper belts and outright delete cruisers. Someone said it is higher velocity, which would cause more overpens. Also, who knows how the armor modeling works on the event ships, it may not be the same as the tech tree variants.

As someone whose played a couple games in the DM, you can only cit battleships outrageously close. Alaska is somewhat better.

I don't actually know the exact ranges the AP fails on the RU BBs because i havnt spent enough time shooting at them. 

For the Yamato, the DM can start citadeling with good aim at 6km. Alaska can start going through the foreward bulkhead at 13 km, but cant pen the belt until around 10km or so.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
56 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This is why I visit these boards so much.

VzqyngF.gif

just for comparison, stalingrads 305s can punch through yammys belt at 20km, basically her max range.

Banned
259 posts
5,487 battles

Yeah well I don't really know what I was  trying to prove but since you can't use event ships for training battles - more's the pity - here's at least an Alaska against the regular versions of the event ships (using my EU account.)

https://replayswows.com/replay/69065#stats

Maybe it actually does have to do with the increased velocity of Octodroid shells (1,000 m/s) versus Alaska shells (762 m/s.) But  while that should give more overpens on lighter armour, shouldn't that also mean you have an even easier time penetrating heavy BB armour? I can't remember getting a single citadel on a Scorpioid etc with an Octodroid, and the number of cits on other cruisers is in the single digits.

Edited by FixCVs