You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BoJohno

Are T5 and lower BB's just trolls?

41 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,711 battles

So I've been grinding the various lines and regardless of which country a BB T5 or lower is only good for testing the limits of your patience. So slow the battle is over before you hit top speed, which is the equivalent of  poorly paddled canoe. Dispersion so bad you have a legitimate chance to actually shoot yourself. Reload speed so slow you can go for a piss, have a smoke, and watch a movie before you have the opportunity to maybe shoot yourself again. Grinding mid tier BB's is like grinding your teeth with a hand rasp.

• Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,119 posts
14,728 battles

The US standards and many other of the low tier BB's are very slow so you have to pick the correct place to go too at the beginning.

[RLGN]
Members
14,878 posts
26,412 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The US standards and many other of the low tier BB's are very slow so you have to pick the correct place to go too at the beginning.

Pretty much.

9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Iron Duke's not bad either.

Ninja’d.

44 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Kongo

ARP flavored, but Kongo is my most played Tier 5 battleship.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,309 posts

Hmmm, well maybe, don't play battleships? The game would be better off without a herd of them in every match.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,635 battles

GC and VU say hi with their hilariously good gunnery.

Meanwhile, Nikolai technically exists, too. Can't get her, but she exists.

That said, don't play low tier BBs if you want to hit something.

• Cool 1

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
30 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

GC and VU say hi with their hilariously good gunnery.

Meanwhile, Nikolai technically exists, too. Can't get her, but she exists.

That said, don't play low tier BBs if you want to hit something.

What if i want to hit torps and islands? Can i low tier bb then? :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,635 battles
1 minute ago, Xanshin said:

That's what Mikasa is for.

No matter where you aim, maybe you'll hit that island!

Members
4,546 posts

Really low tier BBs are good at getting you to learn how to plan your moves far in advance.  Its not like a DD or CA, or, I went the wrong way better turn around.

Many times when the game is loading I look at the map and map out my path.

As for speed, never understood the speed thing.  In a random match, in a US BB at t4 start at half speed for the first minute and still have a very good game.  Now a coop game, that's full speed straight ahead or you will get nothing.  Don't try to halfway across the map to join your buddy, you'll only miss out on getting into the action.  In random things take a bit longer to engage so you'll want to go slower to see how things shape up and give yourself time to react.

• Cool 1

[WOLFH]
Members
345 posts
20,700 battles
15 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Kongo

15 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Konig.

Also see: Peter the Great.

I'd love to mention the Myogi, but this is about Battleships and in my heart Myogi will always be the best Tier 4 Super Cruiser :cap_like:

Edited by Grantwhy

[ARGSY]
Members
21,611 posts
15,660 battles
1 hour ago, Grantwhy said:

I'd love to mention the Myogi, but this is about Battleships and in my heart Myogi will always be the best Tier 4 Super Cruiser :cap_like:

She is a true battlecruiser at Tier 4, and I loved her. Mind you, I played her after she'd had a WHOOOOOLE heap of buffs over the years, so I did not have to suffer the version which I hear sucked syphilitic chihuahua gonads, but I had fun in her. Ground her out twice, too, for the RTS Hosho (just before she became 4000 XP more expensive and shifted over to the DD line) and the Kongo. 

[A-O]
Members
1,024 posts
10,462 battles
16 hours ago, Xanshin said:

Large islands are relatively easy to hit, smaller islands require advanced training.

Shooting Torps requires a 19pt captain with a full manual secondary setup. You then have to CTRL click the nose of the torpedo you want to shoot. However, you have to be careful not to pick the lead torpedo as the other torpedoes in the salvo will see this and then spread like a herd of scared cows.

• Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
10,561 posts
9,825 battles

OP, the short answer is yes.  T5 BBs will do something that makes you want to bang your head against something.  That is what mid tier ships do.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,377 battles

Better than T5 cruisers at least :Smile_hiding:

[PVE]
Members
563 posts
10,581 battles
20 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

Hmmm, well maybe, don't play battleships? The game would be better off without a herd of them in every match.

I'm working on my T4/T5 DDs, please don't discourage people from playing BBs ;)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,290 posts
12,974 battles
21 hours ago, BoJohno said:

So I've been grinding the various lines and regardless of which country a BB T5 or lower is only good for testing the limits of your patience. So slow the battle is over before you hit top speed, which is the equivalent of  poorly paddled canoe. Dispersion so bad you have a legitimate chance to actually shoot yourself. Reload speed so slow you can go for a piss, have a smoke, and watch a movie before you have the opportunity to maybe shoot yourself again. Grinding mid tier BB's is like grinding your teeth with a hand rasp.

Love my Kongo's so much I still have 5 of them.

The guns are reasonably accurate (if you know that the max range isn't the effective range), the armor good enough for the job (Angling is a good thing), and she's one of the fastest battleships at tier.

She is effectively tier-less, in that she doesn't really care about being in tier 7 games. She also has good AA for tier 5 and has been know to moonlight as a cruiser.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

Members
2,300 posts
5,512 battles

OP: Since you know that they are slow and their shots are like a 12 gauge with buckshot at long range, you have just answered what to do with them:

First, hold that "W" key down BEFORE the battle starts to get as much jump as possible.

Second, try and pick your route BEFORE the battle starts, and do as little turning as possible. That will ensure you will run at top speed as much as possible.

Thirdly, since many of them have horrendous shot spread, GET AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the enemy to compensate. You have good armor. USE IT! Many tier 5 BBs excel at being "brawlers"...as in close combat. Use that to your advantage.

Fourth, pick and choose what tier 5 BBs to use. Kongo, as has been mentioned, is excellent. The Iron Duke is a real flamethrower. It is REAL good at starting fires. 

A well-trained Captain also goes a long way at making BB play more enjoyable at low tiers. A 10 skill Captain helps a lot.

Edited by Deputy276

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
4 hours ago, freggo said:

Large islands are relatively easy to hit, smaller islands require advanced training.

Shooting Torps requires a 19pt captain with a full manual secondary setup. You then have to CTRL click the nose of the torpedo you want to shoot. However, you have to be careful not to pick the lead torpedo as the other torpedoes in the salvo will see this and then spread like a herd of scared cows.

Sounds complicated. I think I'm better off hitting the torps with my hull at those tiers. I like my odds better. :fish_boom:

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,176 posts
24,541 battles

25kt or so BBs for mid tiers in PVE are where it's at.  Anything slower will see the battle end by the time they get close to the cap.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,643 posts
9 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

She is a true battlecruiser at Tier 4, and I loved her. Mind you, I played her after she'd had a WHOOOOOLE heap of buffs over the years, so I did not have to suffer the version which I hear sucked syphilitic chihuahua gonads, but I had fun in her. Ground her out twice, too, for the RTS Hosho (just before she became 4000 XP more expensive and shifted over to the DD line) and the Kongo. 

Thank you for that perfectly accurate description of Myogi.   I played it long before any buffs, and that's exactly what it was...

I, personally have had a lot of luck with many of the low tier BB's.  Yes, they're slow- but so what?  This is Co-op- the bots come to you!   South Carolina and I have a long prosperous relationship, as do Wyoming, New York; and Courbet.  Bretagne is fun, too.   Nassau has ridiculously inaccurate guns- but fiendish secondaries.  Kaiser was a blast, too, once I got the hang of that weird gun arrangement.

So, yes, South Carolina IS a troll boat.  It trolls cruisers all day long( I don't have much trouble hitting with those guns),  it also trolls DD's- that forest of 3" pop guns starts a lot of fires, and SC has better agility than any other BB I can think of.   Even BB's can be trolled.  That agility means you can blast em with your rear guns- then hide you citadel quickly.   Then blast em with your forward guns;  rinse repeat.  Get into brawling range, and those secondaries rain fire on them.   Come back to this one once you've made your way further up the tree, and really gotten the hang of BB play.  It's a whole different ship!

[DBRIS]
Members
678 posts
11,849 battles
7 hours ago, pikohan said:

I don't know about that. I totally neglected the RU cruiser line and just started working on them. T2,3,4 are an absolute riot to play. I even ventured in to randoms with them. They are a blast! Of course the AA is pretty non-existent, but it doesn't seem to matter very much. Just keep spinning and shooting as guns come to bear.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,176 posts
24,541 battles
16 hours ago, pikohan said:

Those poor Emeralds and Omahas.  Hell, Kirov is rocking that 50mm Citadel Armor Belt.  Emerald has a better Armor Belt than her!  And Omaha with her paper thin bow armor gets Overmatched and easily Citadeled by even 152mm AP through the bow.  Konigsberg has good guns, but the protection of the ship, yikes!  Furutaka's the only decently protected one this tier and even then she has to be careful.  Her gun range is very short for a Cruiser, and if she's engaged in a Tier VI-VII match, she's dangerously close to some BBs that have no problems hitting her at her max range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[COOP2]
Members
319 posts
8,755 battles
On 11/3/2019 at 9:07 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:
On 11/3/2019 at 7:10 AM, Grantwhy said:

She is a true battlecruiser at Tier 4, and I loved her.

Very good ship if you work to her strengths and get used to the gun placement. Pikohan and I can sing her praises all day if you give us half a chance :cap_horn:

23 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

She is effectively tier-less, in that she doesn't really care about being in tier 7 games. She also has good AA for tier 5 and has been know to moonlight as a cruiser. 

When facing lots of tier 7s, revert Kongo back to sailing her like a battlecruiser, use your speed to get into position, pick on cruisers, use your speed to open the range, stay angled, and not brawl battleships. Be an opportunist (same with Myogi) and keep a keen eye out for anything going broadside. Kongo's speed and good guns do make her tierless, if you adjust properly and adapt to what you are facing.

22 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

A well-trained Captain also goes a long way at making BB play more enjoyable at low tiers. A 10 skill Captain helps a lot.

CO-op especially the first 4 pt skill I would choose is fire prevention. Concealment is not really much of a factor in bot battles as most of the time the bots just charge forward.