You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USSCurtis

WOWS Anniversary Gift exe Download?

28 comments in this topic

Members
198 posts
9,696 battles

I received an email that looked like it was from wargaming.net, notifying of my 4th year anniversary playing WOWS, that gave me a link to an exe download that would be me all sorts of good stuff.

It all looks legit, but just wanted to make sure because I've never knowingly received and exe file download from Wargaming from an email, why don't they just notify me in port? 

So does this sound legitimate? Did anyone else get this by email? 

• Confused 1

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,470 posts
24,788 battles

Usually you just receive your gift without needing to do anything, especially download something.

When my 4 year gift came I had a pop up in port and received my emblem and camos just like anything else.

This sounds really fishy to me.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,418 posts
4,198 battles

The fourth year reward is a thing, but the download sounds wrong. WG usual MO is to send an email either telling you to log in to receive the reward, or giving you a link that sends you to a WG page to claim rewards in game. I can't think of why you would have to download something. Especially an exe file. The only exe file you would need is for the game itself, and I don't think WG would send that via email. Unless one of the mods here tells you otherwise, I wouldn't click it. You probably should contact support, at least to make them aware of the email. If it's spam, it's very clever.

14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Tagging moderators and WG staff. @FemennenIy @turbo07

Might be a while before they respond, it is the weekend.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,082 posts
36 minutes ago, USSCurtis said:

I received an email that looked like it was from wargaming.net, notifying of my 4th year anniversary playing WOWS, that gave me a link to an exe download that would be me all sorts of good stuff.

It all looks legit, but just wanted to make sure because I've never knowingly received and exe file download from Wargaming from an email, why don't they just notify me in port? 

Phishing ... delete it.  

[YORHA]
Members
5,137 posts
10,310 battles

Never EVER download or click on an exe file you get via email.  Even if you think it is from someone you know and trust.

Never EVER.

Delete the email and then delete it out of your trash.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
4,207 posts
12,346 battles

For things like this, they tell you to log into the game to claim your reward/prize.

DO NOT OPEN the .exe file...

Also, Fem is busy running the Pumpkin event and is currently streaming on Twitch.

[VOP]
Members
553 posts
9,937 battles
1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

Never EVER download or click on an exe file you get via email.  Even if you think it is from someone you know and trust.

Never EVER.

Delete the email and then delete it out of your trash.

^Pretty much this.

Also always confirm in person what people had sent to you...you never know who got hacked.

Never confirm by email ever. 

To go along with what everyone else has said WG does these types of things in the game not through downloading anything. Occasionally you have to do the Opt in for stuff but that is through your game login.

Nuke it.

[PVE]
Members
6,928 posts
22,666 battles
3 hours ago, USSCurtis said:

Nuke it from space...it's the only way to be sure.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
3 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Never had an .exe file sent to my by WG.  I'd consider it malware if it were me.  

I had one sent to me by WG tech support and it was malware -- a bitcoin miner rootkit that took me half a day to track down and get off my system. I'd contacted WG tech support telling them to look at their code because the CVs were causing crashes early in the rework and one of their techs wanted me to install a "diagnostic" .exe file that was at a Mediafire link. That third-party link should have raised red flags but I went ahead and ran the program... and got infected with malware.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,830 posts
4,733 battles
4 hours ago, USSCurtis said:

555134296_ConditionRed.gif.dc0aa6a06de6531b031f2d123b99f023.gif

[HEROS]
Members
2,026 posts
18,381 battles

an attached exe.. If you opened it.. run your anti malware, and virus scan etc.. and hope you catch it...no legit game company is going to email you a file... ever.. NOT EVER

They have site, they have file servers etc etc.. they send you a link and it'll be pretty obvious its them.  And that's assuming you don't get what ever it is through the ingame client interface of the launcher.

Members
198 posts
9,696 battles
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Do you own a Smolensk?

Burn the email with it.

I notified of my anniversary recently.  No email.

I wish I owned a Smolensk, or a bigensk, for that matter.

Before I deleted the email, I was dumb enough to unsubscribe. The unsubscribe link took me to my usual na.wargaming.net account page. Guess I won't be getting any nifty camos.