Sign in to follow this  
Admiral_Thrawn_1

The Dangers of Misunderstanding WOWs Study

5 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Ok the next time you are tempted to say “Get good”, go read or watch some Warships guides, ect. Consider the possibility that you may want to be very specific in order to get desired results, or else the following misunderstandings can happen because of IRL and in game differences...

An IJN CA launches all it’s torpedoes that damages numerous ships in your team. When asked why the reply is” I was told I needed to study Warships combat in order to improve my gameplay. And I was just following IJN procedure or jettisoning torpedoes so the warheads don’t explode while under air attacks.”

A USN DD when asked why they were firing main guns wildly in various random directions, the answer: “I read the main guns are dual purpose for both surface and air targets, so I was trying to shooting down those enemy planes for you guys.”

CV attempts to travel with main fleet, insisting it’s the way they did it in real life. CVs sailed with the fleet. ( Davy Jones would you be so kind as to explain things to them about WOWs while the CV is down there with you)

Or the players that state they can’t enter a base zone because they see what appear to be warning buoys clearly marking a do not enter area for ships.Thats about as bad as a player complaint that you did not follow the Maritime rules of who has the right of way...( Perhaps for those players WG can Line those buoys along map perimeter and have while lines surrounding bases as players seem to have no problems sailing into the White lines )

• Funny 4
  • Confused 1

[GWG]
Members
7,226 posts
14,033 battles

I initially got caught up with the Aiming system on WOWS.  I couldn't hit the broad side of a broadside.

If I was sailing in a parallel line, at the same speed, I fired DIRECTLY at it.  Any football quarterback knows that the forward movement is added to where I'm aiming.

The shots fell behind...   What??  That's not right.  And If I was moving forward with the target stopped, I subtracted my movement....  That didn't work either.

Then it dawned on me...   ALL SHOTS SHALL BE CALCULATED AS IF I WAS COMPLETELY STOPPED.

You've got to be kidding me....   OK.  It's just a game.

In what guide is THAT morsel of wisdom found??

[SLFF]
[SLFF]
Members
713 posts
48,120 battles

Then there's "Crossing the T".  Some new players think that's a good thing because it worked in the real world.  It might work in WOWS if players actually formed nice lines like they did in the real world, but things usually look more like a Chinese fire drill (pardon my cultural microaggression).

[DVYJC]
Members
3,569 posts
8,240 battles
3 hours ago, LiskaBystrouska said:

Then there's "Crossing the T".  Some new players think that's a good thing because it worked in the real world.  It might work in WOWS if players actually formed nice lines like they did in the real world, but things usually look more like a Chinese fire drill (pardon my cultural microaggression).

Crossing the T. Valid tactic for navies of the mid-19th century and earlier, though...

[WPORT]
Members
6,683 posts
11,674 battles
4 hours ago, LiskaBystrouska said:

The WOWs equivalent of this is "focusing fire" from several friendly team ships onto a target opposing team ship.  The friendly ships don't need to be in a line for this to work.

Some of the tactics used in previous centuries might have more merit, if the maps in WOWs were large enough to accommodate such activity and didn't have "fixed borders" or "islands" to constrain the movements of player's ships.

The WOWs maps are more like a paintball game field.  Artificial obstacles used in paintball have become islands in WOWs.  "Room clearing tactics" have become what WOWs game play is.  The ignorance or revision of various real-life ship capabilities has also constrained game play to fit into WOWs artificial & virtual seas.

Sign in to follow this