Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

I'll be honest: I hate your events.

26 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

I'll be downvoted, but I feel the need to vent. I despise these "sink the ship" events for a number of reasons:

1) The "slaying" team always goes out of its way to kill the flagged player, often costing them objectives and/or cohesion.

2) I've noticed that a lot of the "target" players seem to put themselves in positions to die early (perhaps so they can requeue?), costing their team a unit.

3) The events overwhelmingly favor fast-firing, long range ships (cruisers) over slow-firing or short-range ships (battleships, destroyers and carriers). Moreover, the determination of "who killed who" is ludicrous - too often, I see someone do 80 percent or more of the damage to a pumpkin (or whatever the flavor of the month may be) with a salvo of torpedoes, or a 3-citadel shot, or whatever, only to have someone else snipe the kill. That's really pathetic, considering that is places so many classes at such a distinct disadvantage when it comes to potentially "winning."

So, yeah, bomb me with boring emojis and call me a spoil-sport, but this garbage needs to be retooled. 

• Cool 21
  • Boring 4

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,215 battles
46 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I despise these "sink the ship" events for a number of reasons:

If you don't like it then don't play the tiers that the pumpkins are scheduled in. Like right now it is 5 and 7 so play 8, 9 or 10.

If that isn't good enough then complain in a support ticket. 

• Boring 4

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
40 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I'll be downvoted, but I feel the need to vent. I despise these "sink the ship" events for a number of reasons:

1) The "slaying" team always goes out of its way to kill the flagged player, often costing them objectives and/or cohesion.

2) I've noticed that a lot of the "target" players seem to put themselves in positions to die early (perhaps so they can requeue?), costing their team a unit.

3) The events overwhelmingly favor fast-firing, long range ships (cruisers) over slow-firing or short-range ships (battleships, destroyers and carriers). Moreover, the determination of "who killed who" is ludicrous - too often, I see someone do 80 percent or more of the damage to a pumpkin (or whatever the flavor of the month may be) with a salvo of torpedoes, or a 3-citadel shot, or whatever, only to have someone else snipe the kill. That's really pathetic, considering that is places so many classes at such a distinct disadvantage when it comes to potentially "winning."

So, yeah, bomb me with boring emojis and call me a spoil-sport, but this garbage needs to be retooled. 

Yeah at least some of these events featured players yoloing like Kamikazes to get X number of battles done as quickly as possible so they can get their rewards, then back to their normal accounts to play. However last couple events the Event players played more intelligently for the most part which is nice because that is how us Corgi Captains played events, playing well, helping our teams, and making sure if we got sunk the enemy had worked hard to earn it.

And if an event player is smart and devious they will take out ships intended for obliterating those fast firing CLs. Which means you need a BB to quickly take them down, or else a good torpedo boat DD if you can manage to land torpedo hits on the event player.

My prediction for those hunting event players will be fast DDs, fast CAs, fast BBs, and yes CVs. The CVs will likely hover out of AA range like a vulture waiting to swoop in when the event player is near dead (Which Honestly would be no surprise). But an event can actually bring out a bit of good play as a BB player will likely want to use a German BB like Scharnhorst and actually move up and attack close range where they can hit the event player with All weapons.

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

Having played through 4 of these and been a target in 2, I can say that VERY few of the event folks yolo to try and die as fast as possible.  Are they super careful, trying to win at all costs?  Some are, some aren't.  If you see one get obliterated right off the bat...guess what, they probably made a mistake and got punished.  Not one person here can say that hasn't happened to them.

Its funny, cause people make 2 contradictory comments about this event every single time it is run:  1. That the event people die and penalize their team, and 2. that the slaying team YOLOS to try for the kill, penalizing their team.  Not sure how both teams can be punished.

Most, not all , but most of the event folks try and win as much as they can,. while also making sure they die.  That sounds really easy, but its not as easy as it sounds.

With the event sas they are, there will always be outliers who do things differently, but it really doesn't have that much of an impact on the game as you think it does.  Nobody is chasing an event guy across the map for 100 doubloons.  An extra 5 mins in game isn't really going to affect the average event players average game count that much.

Have some respect for them for running events.  If its not for you, fine, I get it.  You can't please all the people all the time.  Most likely, you'll see a couple event people in a gaming sessions, and they will likely make little difference to the game.  Deal with it.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
8 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Have some respect for them for running events.  If its not for you, fine, I get it.  You can't please all the people all the time.

I didn't dump on any individual or single anyone out. But I do think the mechanics need tuning.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,310 posts
23,743 battles
27 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

If you don't like it then don't play the tiers that the pumpkins are scheduled in. Like right now it is 5 and 7 so play 8, 9 or 10.

If that isn't good enough then complain in a support ticket. 

Since when did you get assigned arbiter of who and where someone can talk about the game? How about we use the tool Wargaming made available to talk about the game called the Forum? Customers providing feedback to Wargaming is an essential part of game development. If you are triggered by negative feedback given by players, maybe you should find something else to do with your free time.

BTW to the OP, if an event isn't fun, just ignore it. I found this is the best way to avoid the aggravation. It can be tough at first because you feel like you are missing out but once you are over that hump, you lose that anxiety and you find better things to do with your free time in the game. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

Look I'll be honest, I'm going to be one of those captains tomorrow (missed today because I slept in, oops), and if I die early it's not going to be because I *intentionally* did anything different than normal. It's going to be because I really just suck and get tunnelvisioned in on a strategy without thinking things through.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,651 posts
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

To be honest, the same is true of the pve and Twilight modes.  Certain ship types have major advantages over everything else.   In these cases, DD's and CL's with torps.

I see #3 happening ALL the time.  Granted getting the kill isn't as important (unless there's a get 25 kill mission going on...), but that never stopped anyone.   I can't count the number of totally wasted salvos in slow reload ships,  when the target  explodes while your salvo is still in flight.

It's kinda sad when it takes a green team full of bots/ terrible players  or a major fail on the part of most of the team for a BB or CA to have a really good game.   Otherwise the red team is dead before you can accumulate much damage.  (and that's without counting RNG/ dispersion fails)

[SALVO]
Members
25,508 posts
27,483 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I agree that the "sheriff" events stink, because the "sheriffs" are encouraged to get themselves killed, though probably not stupidly.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,643 battles

A: pumpkins come from high and low skill players. Setting yourself up to fail is just being the latter, more often than not.

B: We're forbidden from suicide rushing or the like, so get a replay and send it in if you think this is an issue. If we get too many warnings (typically 2) we get removed from this and future events in the same vein.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
46 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

A: pumpkins come from high and low skill players. Setting yourself up to fail is just being the latter, more often than not.

B: We're forbidden from suicide rushing or the like, so get a replay and send it in if you think this is an issue. If we get too many warnings (typically 2) we get removed from this and future events in the same vein.

I have a replay of it, but I'm not going to rat someone out. It's just not how I handle things. 

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
3 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I have to ardently disagree with you. 

I think the events (eg, corgi/pirate/pumpkin) are excellent.  They help bring the community together, they provide an opportunity for active players to give back to others, they're a bit of lighthearted fun and provide a different kind of challenge for the pumpkin drivers - how to get a 100% WR with a 0% survival rate. 

I think the problems you have outlined - ie, players being dumb - are overstated. 

• Given how dumb players are generally, I am not confident that you see them even more dumb during these events, noting they are held on weekends. 
  • The pumpkins i've seen in battle have always tried to balance winning with giving up their ship; and i rarely (never) seen them just yolo. 
  • Finally, just as in normal randoms, it is quite possible to 1 shot enemy ships with BB guns or torpedos - so ships other than cruisers still have a fighting chance...

My suggestion: dont be such a spoil-sport. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,105 posts
12,308 battles
4 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I despise these "sink the ship" events for a number of reasons:

You know nothing about despising.  Regrind few branches back to T10, then you won’t mind some silly event, I tell ya.

• Funny 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,172 posts
16,404 battles
4 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

#12 would like to have a word with you. "a picture worth 1000 words"

Spoiler

fbHQYzj.jpg

s9COh6p.jpg

Q0ORYs5.jpg

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
580 posts
7,400 battles
34 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

#12 would like to have a word with you. "a picture worth 1000 words"

Reveal hidden contents

fbHQYzj.jpg

s9COh6p.jpg

Q0ORYs5.jpg

See! You did kamikaze! Lol. 

• Funny 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

You know nothing about despising.  Regrind few branches back to T10, then you won’t mind some silly event, I tell ya.

Thus far, I haven't been given sufficient reason to. Neither Colbert nor Ohio are really tempting enough morsels to endure such torture.

But you have my sympathy.

Beta Testers
3,748 posts
14,457 battles

From what I have seen so far, is idiots on our team shooting the pumkin that is on ours as well and stripping them of valuable HP, when they say TK is not counted.

By the time our pumkin tirpitz got to fight he was half health already, but he did well and killed 2 people before going down, but they could of done a lot more had those idiots shooting him, hadn't.

I don't think they should announce at the start of the match, and leave it people who watch the team list to determine who is and is not a pumkin, then you might see less people getting blinded by winning something from them instead of loosing a game due to stupidity.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,172 posts
16,404 battles
2 hours ago, MinkeWhale said:

See! You did kamikaze! Lol. 

i do many ships

Spoiler

vK3gmqx.jpg

vaUyLKW.jpg

The idea is to give back to the community, and enjoying the game at the same time.

Not too many appreciated the effort we put out ........ but it their loooooossssssttttt! 

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
6,770 posts
16,216 battles

Player A:  I hate these events!  The Pumpkin players yolo and die, and it costs their team.  Or, one team goes stupid to sink a Pumpkin.  Every game sucks during these weekends!

Player B:  I hate these events!  I NEVER see a Pumpkin during ANY games all weekend!

:Smile_unsure:

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,259 posts
12,363 battles
9 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I feel the need to vent.

My stats as a maurader was just shy of 50% but my survival rate was near 0.  I would play strategic enough to influence the battle, but aggressive enough to give rewards.  a few of my clan mates who are pumpkins this round have posted their "high damage" "top of the leader board" games in our discord. 

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Supertester
705 posts
17,243 battles

Battlecruiser_NewZealand,  your frustrations with these events is not my experience at all. The pumpkin captain volunteers in their Discord discussion talk at length of putting up an honest fight and trying to help the team win first, then, only  when that is secured to become more aggressive and give the enemy team a better chance to sink us. 

Obviously, there will be some pumpkin captains who do there own thing, but I offer that is no different than random battles ! 

As to not seeing Pumpkin ships?! You must be the most unlucky individual(that is my luck with crates), sorry about that. I have at least 8 clan mates who sunk pumpkins last night. 3 of them sunk more than 1, 1 even sunk 2 in the same battle ! 

Watch the schedule in the article, play the tiers in the time slots for your best chance to come across the pumpkin captain ships. 

I consider myself a fairly average player, attached is my last night efforts for my team. also, a screen shot of one match team roster - count the pumpkins. 9!!

Most games I played last night had more than 1 pumpkin, and that even included the free for all tier time. I would prefer to not survive as much in this event, but in many of the battles, my survival was why the team won. 2 of the ships that ended me last night were DD's  -

1 battle even ended with only 2 pumpkins fighting each other. (pumpkins can't shoot at each other until such time there is no other option to win a battle... first time i faced this situation! (and he shot first - I'm a polite Canadian ;)  ) 

Hope you have better luck today

Good Hunting!

image.thumb.png.dbdf7209baa8e88206ed6531ae3fc8a9.png

2019.11.01-17.55.png

The schedule is in the original article, but i also have it in this quick 3:30 video of this event I put together Thursday

Edited by Karandar

Sign in to follow this