You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
UltimateNewbie

Objectives as a Pumpkin

22 comments in this topic

[FML]
Members
4,079 posts
15,904 battles

Firstly, thanks again to Fem and her team for organising the Pumpkins event for Halloween, and for selecting me as Event Pumpkin 193. 

My objectives are:

1) a 100% win rate; and

2) a 0 per cent survival rate. 

I figure this will maximise the return to the community whilst ensuring my team is not gimped. Grateful for tips on how to achieve this, given how important ‘not dying’ is for winning. 

Also, during the non-specified waves, I plan on spending most of my time in low to mid tiers, as more likely to run into genuinely new players there. 100 gold for them is their first doubloons possibly going towards their first port slot, whereas top tier players tend to have more of everything. 

So, other pumpkins out there, what are your objectives for this event? How do you die yet still win??

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 3
  • Confused 1

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

Clearly, you just need me in a div with you. :P You'll die but also win. xD Because that's how you and I appear to roll most of the time. xD

• Funny 3

[GOB]
Members
2,361 posts

Yeah. I got the very first notice of this event about 7 minutes ago via a pop-up in the port.  Just to tell me it's full. 

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,263 posts
17,039 battles
20 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

500 gold

Just clarification - its 100 gold, not 500.

[DPG]
Supertester
702 posts
17,168 battles

Well said ultimate newbie - i am event pumpkin 85 - 1st objective for myself will always be to help ensure the team wins - and only after that is secured - get more aggressive and take chances, giving the community a chance to smash a pumpkin and earn the prizes.  I have never intentionally been an "easy kill" being the hunted in past events, bad luck sometimes sure, but never intentionally throw my ship away. That would just create hard feelings. 

Good hunting/ being hunted this weekend all ! 

Kar

For any who are unfamiliar with these events, i put a quick 3:30 video summary together

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles
41 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Oops, sorry! Fixed in my post. 

You have failed! Way to uphold the clan name there, my friend! :Smile_trollface:

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
1 hour ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Clearly, you just need me in a div with you. :P You'll die but also win. xD Because that's how you and I appear to roll most of the time. xD

Hmm ok where did you get your hands on a Kitakami and more importantly how would I get one? :Smile_trollface:

Lol would be  the easiest way to win a lot, but die every time would be to sail it right into the main group of enemy ships, unload all torpedo tubes, but face severe enemy fire as a result... Lol just think of how many “It’s just a Flesh wound awards you could get with that many torpedoes on CL.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles
15 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Hmm ok where did you get your hands on a Kitakami and more importantly how would I get one? :Smile_trollface:

Lol would be  the easiest way to win a lot, but die every time would be to sail it right into the main group of enemy ships, unload all torpedo tubes, but face severe enemy fire as a result... Lol just think of how many “It’s just a Flesh wound awards you could get with that many torpedoes on CL.

Lol, UN tends to die a lot when we div together, having wrecked most of the red team in the process, leaving me to hold the fort until we win, which we do about 95% of the time when we div together.

• Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
3,549 posts
8,098 battles

My goal is to play lots of ships I don't own, especially the ones I can't get, and to play low Tier whenever possible to give newbies cracks at some doubloons and event flags and also because otherwise since play at <Tier 5 is not rewarded in the main game, this is the only chance I have to play it and be rewarded for it.

-Pumpkin 236

[FML]
Members
4,079 posts
15,904 battles

So, now that I'm 20 battles in, I thought I would give a quick update (see stats in Spoiler). 

In short: I have failed both objectives: I have only managed to die in about 2/3 of my battles (despite my best efforts, including driving full broadside to an amagi and a bismark at 6-8km and they didnt delete me), and I havent won every battle (I lost three of my last four battles, was on a serious winning streak there for a while).  

Still, I'm having a lot of fun playing ships I dont have and enjoying handing out little bundles of joy out ot the community.  

Spoiler

1107870180_191102Pumpkin193-20battles.thumb.jpg.d9b0ccce04c7886915ca26cb0a53c983.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NDA]
Supertester, Beta Testers
1,066 posts
10,437 battles

As an event captain (Event Pumpkin 67) my only goal is to help my team to a victory, as it is suppose to be every event captain

If i get sunk which I will not go and try to do, then so be it as It happens on my regular account. I will for sure make you earn sinking what ever ship I sail during the event

Members
555 posts
8,430 battles
6 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

So, now that I'm 20 battles in, I thought I would give a quick update (see stats in Spoiler). 

In short: I have failed both objectives: I have only managed to die in about 2/3 of my battles (despite my best efforts, including driving full broadside to an amagi and a bismark at 6-8km and they didnt delete me), and I havent won every battle (I lost three of my last four battles, was on a serious winning streak there for a while).  

Still, I'm having a lot of fun playing ships I dont have and enjoying handing out little bundles of joy out ot the community.  

Hide contents

1107870180_191102Pumpkin193-20battles.thumb.jpg.d9b0ccce04c7886915ca26cb0a53c983.jpg

Had time for 12 games last night (2 toddlers cuts into play time lol) and only died 3 times. Got called out a couple times for surviving saying I should be easier to kill. I just reminded people we are a reward not a gift. 

Edited by Shenanigans_Abound
  • Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles

Just had a game this morning with 4 pumpkins on red. 

Great for me but needless to say the “fail MM” comments were strong from the red team. 

[FML]
Members
4,079 posts
15,904 battles
9 hours ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

Had time for 12 games last night (2 toddlers cuts into play time lol) and only died 3 times. Got called out a couple times for surviving saying I should be easier to kill. I just reminded people we are a reward not a gift. 

I still try to get myself killed when I am confident that my team has won. Problem is, there isn’t usually much time between working out we’ll win and the match ending, so it’s hard for the enemy to kill me...

28 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Great for me but needless to say the “fail MM” comments were strong from the red team. 

Rough. Most I’ve seen in a match was 3, 1 vs 2...

We lost...

[DVYJC]
Members
3,549 posts
8,098 battles
33 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

I've had several of these where matchmaking unfortunately has 2-5 pumpkins on one side and none on the other. They're not divisioned, either, so it's not deliberate on the player's part.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles
4 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I've had several of these where matchmaking unfortunately has 2-5 pumpkins on one side and none on the other. They're not divisioned, either, so it's not deliberate on the player's part.

Yeah I was in a match with (including me) a 5 to 1 pumpkin ratio across both teams, and worse still 4 of the 5 on my team (again, including me) spawned on the same side of the map. It was honestly kind of comical watching us trip over each other (up to and including an accidental torpedo TK) to push against the last remaining Bismarck on that side, as if to say "hey, you held out longer than anyone else over here, you earned a kill!". The Bismarck was the one that wound up dead.

[FML]
Members
4,079 posts
15,904 battles
On 11/2/2019 at 9:21 AM, UltimateNewbie said:

My objectives are:

1) a 100% win rate; and

2) a 0 per cent survival rate. 

Well, ultimately it was safe to say that I failed in my objective (see final stats below). 

In the end, I finished with a: 

• 75% win rate; and
  • 46% survival rate

The survival rate is functionally the same as my main account, and the winrrate is substantially higher.  From this, I assume the moral of the story is to go out into battle with the aim of getting killed, and you'll do better at the game! haha

More seriously, this was great fun.  I went out of my way to play a range of ships that I do not have in-game, including the Gascogne, Bayard, Nuevo de Julio, and Kamikaze.  All are actually capable ships - though I personally quite enjoyed the RIchelieu and French Cruisers that I understand not everyone likes.  The surprise was the Nuevo de Julio - I had no interest in this ship when it came out (or the Boise), but it is surprisingly tanky, a strong AA platform (so many double CV battles!) and great at lighting fires or nailing DDS for almost their full health.  And the heal is excellent; as such, I'm going to start recommending the Boise to new players looking for a T7 ship (previously, I thought it mediochre).  I am also considering buying the Bayard as I'm having such great fun (though Roma seems to be the bane of its existence).  

There were some annoying things - mainly players on my team just assuming that I would yolo at the start of the match causing them the loss.  However, I found myself carrying teams quite a lot (hence the WR) so its a bit annoying you get that negative reputation at the start.  The other thing was players complaining that I was on their team and not on the enemy team for them to shoot at - nothing I can do about that except note that MM hates you (along with everyone else).  

I only had one moron/clown on my team who went out of their way to try at TK me (you know who you are, Myoko), but they failed in a fit of pointlessness.  Still, fail move dude.  Sigh. 

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again to the event organisers, to all my fellow Pumpkins for devoting your weekends to madly playing a huge number of battles, and to all members of the community who took it in good spirits. 

Best,
UN. 

Spoiler

2093860037_191104Pumpkin193-71battles.thumb.jpg.5ff7468b52f7a5aaf4fa93519568c364.jpg

[DPG]
Supertester
702 posts
17,168 battles

I worked this weekend, and had clan battles, naval battles obligations (being clan leader, lead by example right?) 

Still managed 47 games. 

Super fun, a few winers, but nothing terrible, and pulling the victory usually fixes that! 

Best funny game, had 9!! Pumpkins... 

Ended up an enemy pumpkin vs myself. 

Being a polite Canadian I let him shoot first before sinking him ;) 

Had a heck of a weekend streak. Apparently, I should play sleep deprived more often

unknown.png

A big thanks and congratulations to Fem and crew for a well run event. 

Good Hunting, and hope to see you all in the next!