You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralJeff76

Make AA guns more survivable

10 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
333 posts
11,970 battles

Either make AA guns more survivable or let the regenerate when repair party is used for something. 

This has been Ossiuum's monthly rage induced anti CV post :) 

[MELON]
Members
984 posts
2,894 battles

Isnt there an upgrade (or whatever its called) that improves aa and secondary survivability?

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
13 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Isnt there an upgrade (or whatever its called) that improves aa and secondary survivability?

This and ironically they don't die at the rate they really should as a strong AA ship that hasn't seen a lot of HE will have a ridiculous amount of AA left even when on deaths door. AA should degrade with health instead of the mounts being destroyed.

• Boring 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,214 posts
26,997 battles
33 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Yes.  I use it all the time when I did AA (Pre-CV Rebork) and Secondary Builds.  Worked pretty well to preserve the AA / Secondaries for a good while.

But the fully enclosed turrets, whether they're single purpose / surface combat only guns, or dual purpose guns like the USN 127mm/38's, those things can last a good while, especially with the upgrade to toughen them up further.

The only HE you got to really worry about are the RN BB HE shells, namely from the 419mm and 457mm RN guns.  The blast radius of those are astronomical.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
1 hour ago, Koogus said:

That, and about the only ships where AA loss is that big an issue, is the low tier ships that already have almost no AA which in and of itself is an issue already. Anything that has a number of AA guns has to have been massively hammered by HE to be stripped of a significant amount - like, enough they are likely getting a dreadnought amount. I have intentionally spammed HE at ships to try adn take AA out for the CV and seen it take out few or no guns. Even playing a CV hammering a ship my teammates hammered with HE - still take some insane losses vs some of the high DPS/Broken AA ships. 

• Cool 1

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,315 posts
6,840 battles
10 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

This and ironically they don't die at the rate they really should as a strong AA ship that hasn't seen a lot of HE will have a ridiculous amount of AA left even when on deaths door. AA should degrade with health instead of the mounts being destroyed.

Agree, ships still AA like crazy even one second before they explode!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,214 posts
26,997 battles
9 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

That, and about the only ships where AA loss is that big an issue, is the low tier ships that already have almost no AA which in and of itself is an issue already. Anything that has a number of AA guns has to have been massively hammered by HE to be stripped of a significant amount - like, enough they are likely getting a dreadnought amount. I have intentionally spammed HE at ships to try adn take AA out for the CV and seen it take out few or no guns. Even playing a CV hammering a ship my teammates hammered with HE - still take some insane losses vs some of the high DPS/Broken AA ships. 

I remember a Pre-CV Rework game I had with Alabama, I pushed up into a Schors and Atlanta players' trap.  They shelled the hell out of me with their HE shell spam and Fires setting me ablaze bow to stern, I had something like 3/4 HP to start and when I finally retreated to safety, I was down to about 1/3 and was starting the process of recovering my HP in Stealth.

But this was a CV game, albeit it was only a Tier VI Ryujo for the enemy team.  He played it better than most other CV drivers I encountered.  He knew the AA from Alabama could slaughter his planes, so he held off on attacking me until the two CLs were done shelling me.  When I sailed away from the cap, back into stealth, that's when I saw all the Ryujo squadrons come for me, all the TBs and DBs.

I smiled.

I ran an AA Build to include AAM1 upgrade to toughen up my AA & Secondary guns.  I lost some AA from all that, but I had plenty enough to start annihilating each and every plane that entered range.  All those planes got slaughtered, nothing got through.

The Ryujo player was confused.  This was towards the end of the game and asked in Open Match chat what he was supposed to do?  I was a critical target, the team needed the points from taking me down, he waited until I was worn down by the Schors and Atlanta spam to take out my AA like he read about in the forums:

"The moment an HE shell lands on some ship, half their AA is stripped away!"

I told him those statements are a lie, made by players that hated Carriers to make it seem worse than it really is.

The 2 CLs' spam did lower my AA but not by much.

1.  The 127mm/38 DP turrets were all 100% and functioning despite the ship losing tons of HP and fires all over the ship.

2.  The 40mm Bofors and 20mm Oerlikon AA guns did suffer losses but apparently still were good in wiping out the planes.

I remember another game where a Shokaku player tried to test my worn down Alabama and got the same treatment by my AA.  Still enough to rip the planes apart.

AAM1 is useful if you have a build emphasizing those specific modules.  I mean, if you're invested in an AA or Secondaries Build, why not improve those modules' survival?  The upgrade works, but then again, when one looks at all the Build Suggestions posted around here, it's quite clear AAM1 isn't used by people much.

Members
2,687 posts
4,393 battles
13 hours ago, Koogus said:

You mean take steps to ensure that your AA survives and that you can actually deal with planes?  Perish the thought.  These people don't want that.  They want the best AA and they want it to be immortal with no further investment from themselves.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
43 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I remember a Pre-CV Rework game I had with Alabama, I pushed up into a Schors and Atlanta players' trap.  They shelled the hell out of me with their HE shell spam and Fires setting me ablaze bow to stern, I had something like 3/4 HP to start and when I finally retreated to safety, I was down to about 1/3 and was starting the process of recovering my HP in Stealth.

But this was a CV game, albeit it was only a Tier VI Ryujo for the enemy team.  He played it better than most other CV drivers I encountered.  He knew the AA from Alabama could slaughter his planes, so he held off on attacking me until the two CLs were done shelling me.  When I sailed away from the cap, back into stealth, that's when I saw all the Ryujo squadrons come for me, all the TBs and DBs.

I smiled.

I ran an AA Build to include AAM1 upgrade to toughen up my AA & Secondary guns.  I lost some AA from all that, but I had plenty enough to start annihilating each and every plane that entered range.  All those planes got slaughtered, nothing got through.

The Ryujo player was confused.  This was towards the end of the game and asked in Open Match chat what he was supposed to do?  I was a critical target, the team needed the points from taking me down, he waited until I was worn down by the Schors and Atlanta spam to take out my AA like he read about in the forums:

"The moment an HE shell lands on some ship, half their AA is stripped away!"

I told him those statements are a lie, made by players that hated Carriers to make it seem worse than it really is.

The 2 CLs' spam did lower my AA but not by much.

1.  The 127mm/38 DP turrets were all 100% and functioning despite the ship losing tons of HP and fires all over the ship.

2.  The 40mm Bofors and 20mm Oerlikon AA guns did suffer losses but apparently still were good in wiping out the planes.

I remember another game where a Shokaku player tried to test my worn down Alabama and got the same treatment by my AA.  Still enough to rip the planes apart.

AAM1 is useful if you have a build emphasizing those specific modules.  I mean, if you're invested in an AA or Secondaries Build, why not improve those modules' survival?  The upgrade works, but then again, when one looks at all the Build Suggestions posted around here, it's quite clear AAM1 isn't used by people much.

In the RTS days an AA build, and that includes the upgrade modules, in the top tiers was a waste of skill points because you saw so few CV's. Even now you don't see them in every high tier match, about the only place you see them almost every match is tier 4 and even there you get no CV matches.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Lack of consistency of CV's was why, something Wargaming tried, and failed, to fix by not fixing AA right, again, and by not making correct nerfs like lowering damage of rockets, and instead nerfing the usability and comfort by changing the reticle widening the skill gap they wanted to remove, again. Even if the gameplay was actually exciting enough to hold players, the unholy grind that is still the same XP we needed to get from 4-6-8-10 other than the odd tiers extra modules, drastically unbalanced AA tier 6-10 see that isn't in their favour (tier 4  it's way too much in their favour) unless tier 8 is top tier, 6 is in a low AA match, and 10 is mostly vs lower tier or the team has a very specific make up, and them making them harder to use ad get reliable hits with - it's part of why a lot of the 2-3 CV complaint threads are players in tiers 3-5. Most CV players are hiding or trapped in tier 4. 

And other than maybe secondary protection it's likely not needed anymore - because of our TECHNICALLY unlimited planes they buffed the HP of AA mounts, so they are even harder to knock out.