Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cheeezzy

Ranger Smokestacks

6 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

164
[AFK]
Members
422 posts
5,129 battles

So I was playing the Ranger when I noticed the stacks remain in vertical position during combat. And I must ask, is there a way to maybe implement a feature where the stacks move down at the start of battle? Same thing for other carriers with the wires off to the side that are normally vertical. Nothing major, just a bit silly to think the planes will break the wings on landing :Smile_veryhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,107
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,724 posts
13,410 battles

There's a few CV's with rotating stacks, Hosho, and Ranger for certain, Langley had them in RL, but they didn't work, so she didn't operate with them down.

The folding antennas were pretty standard on every CV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
164
[AFK]
Members
422 posts
5,129 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

It's historical for USS Ranger afaik.

Really? I thought I read somewhere that the stacks bent horizontally during normal flight operations

36 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

There's a few CV's with rotating stacks, Hosho, and Ranger for certain, Langley had them in RL, but they didn't work, so she didn't operate with them down.

The folding antennas were pretty standard on every CV.

Wasn't Hosho's as in game a retrofit where they had her stacks downwards since the original were, as you said, disfunctional? Didn't know about the Langley tho, that's interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,584
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
4 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

Really? I thought I read somewhere that the stacks bent horizontally during normal flight operations

No you're right, the devs just chose to go with the raised position on the model for what was likely simplicity.  If they were to animate the stacks rotating downward it would likely only be for landing operations, since that's all it was really necessary for, and not a lot of people would notice it. They probably figured it wasn't worth the effort or that big of a deal.

Considering all the other stuff the game has going on I'm inclined to agree, but it would still be a nice touch to add if Ranger ever gets an updated model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,107
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,724 posts
13,410 battles
1 hour ago, Cheeezzy said:

Really? I thought I read somewhere that the stacks bent horizontally during normal flight operations

Wasn't Hosho's as in game a retrofit where they had her stacks downwards since the original were, as you said, disfunctional? Didn't know about the Langley tho, that's interesting.

None of the rotating funnels worked well in the down position. Probably didn't stick out far enough to pull enough of a draft on them to keep fumes from building up in the boiler rooms, and they didn't stick out far enough to keep the flight deck clear of exhaust gasses in any case. Also doesn't help that there's usually 2 90 degree bends at the base of the funnel so that the funnel can rotate to lay flat.

Hosho as she is in game looks like she's almost in her final configuration, With the island cut off, the extended and widened flight deck, but still with her 140mm guns. The wider flight deck blocks the funnels from going vertical, and the Japanese may have altered her uptakes to make the now fixed upward inclined funnels work better.

Langley's funnels design wise are a little better, in that they're longer so you can pull a better draft on them and they'd be further away from the flight deck. Problem is, Langley is slow as molasses and barely counts as a moving object.

1 hour ago, Landsraad said:

No you're right, the devs just chose to go with the raised position on the model for what was likely simplicity.  If they were to animate the stacks rotating downward it would likely only be for landing operations, since that's all it was really necessary for, and not a lot of people would notice it. They probably figured it wasn't worth the effort or that big of a deal.

Considering all the other stuff the game has going on I'm inclined to agree, but it would still be a nice touch to add if Ranger ever gets an updated model.

They really wouldn't have to animate them, just have two models, one for in port, and one for in game, which I'm surprised WG doesn't do anyway for performance reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×