You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BoJohno

New DD nerf?

29 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,747 battles

Has there been a new nerf to DD's? I logged in today, and out of 4 matches, almost every round that hits does either engine or rudder damage. It's absurd. My first match, hit once, lost rudder. Repaired, 2 rounds came in and took out rudder AND engine. I was like " damn! I was unlucky that match". Same thing happened next 3 matches. I'm fairly certain a round hit my masthead light and blew out my rudder. Didn't matter which tier, didn't matter which captain skills. If I got hit anywhere, by anything, my rudder and/or engine was shot. Fairly irritating. Basically me and red DD spot each other at the same time. First shot, steering gone. Repair because I know torps are on the way. Next shot, rudder, engine or both shot. spin in slow circles till boom. 4 matches in a row. 

• Funny 1

Members
3,242 posts
591 battles

which DD???

German DDs are very susceptible to that...

and NO....

no nerf does that... good aim however...

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,265 posts
27,038 battles

It's almost as if there's a Tier 2 trait that specifically caters to this sort of thing where it becomes a non-issue.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
13,437 posts
12,888 battles

I suppose WG could tune up the bots to target your engines/rudders and make them more accurate, but it is more likely RNG is just giving you the finger.

And never trust what you see on your screen when it comes to shot placement.

Daniel Rusev had a recent video where it showed a torp hit before the torpedoes even got to the ship (they were going to hit).

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,747 battles
22 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

which DD???

Aigle, Gallant, T-61 and Gaede. 2of which admittedly are German. And If I took a broadside or a shot up the [edited], then yeah, aim by them and presenting the target by me would certainly be viable. But it doesn't seem to matter how I'm angled or where I'm hit. Weird. In any case I switched to cruisers since today is obviously not a good day for me in destroyers, so life is good again.

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,747 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's almost as if there's a Tier 2 trait that specifically caters to this sort of thing where it becomes a non-issue.

Your obvious sarcasm aside, you are correct. However every salvo seems a little excessive, especially when not presenting a stern aspect.

Members
1,380 posts

I am seeing some of the same thing but it is in the top three French DDs and I thought it was just their issue. 

Edited by Toxic_Potato

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,891 posts
24,781 battles
15 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

French destroyers have this problem.  EM1 and prev maint. Doesn't stop it from occurring. 

Members
3,242 posts
591 battles
15 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

Aigle, Gallant, T-61 and Gaede. 2of which admittedly are German. And If I took a broadside or a shot up the [edited], then yeah, aim by them and presenting the target by me would certainly be viable. But it doesn't seem to matter how I'm angled or where I'm hit. Weird. In any case I switched to cruisers since today is obviously not a good day for me in destroyers, so life is good again.

I am guessing this is all happening in COOP... 110 PVP battles and non of the DDs you said... so it will happen MORE in coop.. BOTS will ONLY SHOOT DDs once spotted and are pretty accurate if your WASD hacks are not good...

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,747 battles
10 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I am guessing this is all happening in COOP..

well this IS the PVE section of the forum...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,265 posts
27,038 battles
15 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

French destroyers have this problem.  EM1 and prev maint. Doesn't stop it from occurring. 

Last Stand.

Last Stand, my man.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,437 posts
12,888 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Last Stand.

Last Stand, my man.

I won't take a T2 DD out without LS.  Those are dubs I gladly pay for a 3 pt. captain.

[PVE]
Members
1,619 posts
44,695 battles
4 hours ago, BoJohno said:

Has there been a new nerf to DD's? I logged in today, and out of 4 matches, almost every round that hits does either engine or rudder damage. It's absurd. My first match, hit once, lost rudder. Repaired, 2 rounds came in and took out rudder AND engine. I was like " damn! I was unlucky that match". Same thing happened next 3 matches. I'm fairly certain a round hit my masthead light and blew out my rudder. Didn't matter which tier, didn't matter which captain skills. If I got hit anywhere, by anything, my rudder and/or engine was shot. Fairly irritating. Basically me and red DD spot each other at the same time. First shot, steering gone. Repair because I know torps are on the way. Next shot, rudder, engine or both shot. spin in slow circles till boom. 4 matches in a row. 

It has always been like this for DDs. Bots are the best at hitting them spots on DDs..

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,265 posts
27,038 battles
9 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I won't take a T2 DD out without LS.  Those are dubs I gladly pay for a 3 pt. captain.

It's such a crucial skill for DDs, and even some Cruiser players take it because of all the shells landing around the vicinity of their stern when they kite, possibly causing rudder / engine modules to bust.

Members
462 posts
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's such a crucial skill for DDs, and even some Cruiser players take it because of all the shells landing around the vicinity of their stern when they kite, possibly causing rudder / engine modules to bust.

Absolutely agree. LS goes into each and every one of my destroyer and cruiser builds.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,891 posts
24,781 battles
19 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Last Stand.

Last Stand, my man.

I run :

engine mod 1.

PM.

LS.

Engine still gets knocked out .

It's a lot worse if you run extended engine boost instead of EM1.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,265 posts
27,038 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I run :

engine mod 1.

PM.

LS.

Engine still gets knocked out .

It's a lot worse if you run extended engine boost instead of EM1.

Last Stand prevents that.

You CANNOT get your engines disabled and you dead in the water.

You CANNOT get your rudder jammed with you turning in circles.

The engines and rudder may still get damaged with speed and rudder being lowered, but it can't get knocked out with them being disabled.  With Last Stand, most of the time I don't even notice those 2 modules were damaged at all, I'm playing as if nothing happened.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,891 posts
24,781 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The engines and rudder may still get damaged with speed and rudder being lowered, but it can't get knocked out with them being disabled.  With Last Stand, most of the time I don't even notice those 2 modules were damaged at all, I'm playing as if nothing happened.

Being a French destroyer, your engine and rudder can and will be disabled....

YOU SHOULD READ WHAT LAST STAND CAPTAIN SKILL DOES...

It is not a 100% never happen like a det flag...

It reduces CHANCE and provides SOME control while they are damaged....

30kts v 50kts is a huge difference when you don't have smoke to hide in...

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,265 posts
27,038 battles
27 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Being a French destroyer, your engine and rudder can and will be disabled....

YOU SHOULD READ WHAT LAST STAND CAPTAIN SKILL DOES...

It is not a 100% never happen like a det flag...

It reduces CHANCE and provides SOME control while they are damaged....

30kts v 50kts is a huge difference when you don't have smoke to hide in...

Being a French Destroyer hasn't been a problem for me with Last Stand.  I've showed it off in front of AdmiralThunder :Smile_trollface: I know what the trait does and it trivializes the Engine, Rudder issues.  PVP *and* PVE.

The real issue for DDs and Cruisers is engine and rudder being disabled, i.e. not functioning, and your DCP is on cooldown.  LS trivializes it and it is no longer a real problem.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,747 battles

So my intention was not to debate the usefulness of various captain skills. The only thing I was putting forth was that DD's I had played for a while seemed particularly susceptible to engine/rudder strikes much more than they ever had been. By a lot....a whole lot

[A-D-F]
Members
1,332 posts
13,141 battles
21 hours ago, BoJohno said:

So my intention was not to debate the usefulness of various captain skills. The only thing I was putting forth was that DD's I had played for a while seemed particularly susceptible to engine/rudder strikes much more than they ever had been. By a lot....a whole lot

That, and the incidence of your torpedo tubes being damaged &/or outright destroyed increases almost exponentially as you approach a firing solution in PVE these days. Not saying that is somehow a deliberate thing on WG's part; because that would trigger:

SERIOUS_HERESY.jpg

[BEA5T]
Members
5,508 posts
26,180 battles
On 11/1/2019 at 12:21 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

LS doesn't seem to be as robust as of a few weeks ago......  Almost everyday, I find myself being hamstrung with skills that should remediate at least some of the damage.....  And yes, a lot of secondary damage "specific to what weapons you have selected......  A lot of damage at the exact and optimal firing angles.

Another interesting "twist" is that I've been paying a lot of attention to the aiming reticle these past two weeks or so.....  Has anyone notices reticle "chatter".......where the reticle moves on it's own making staying on target difficult?  And, the other reticle nuance is watching enemy ships in range start to turn when they "fall into the next to be shot" category......where they actually start to turn the second your reticle enters the firing arc at the optimal distances....???  The computer knows when you can or can not shoot and it is "reacting to your intent".....  Our host has messed with something to "degrade the value of COOP" to force COOP players into their gimmick events or Randoms.....  Like the mercy rule where the game ends the second you fire torpedoes to kill an untouched BB....  And no, this situation does not meet any of the game conclusion basics.....

shot-19_10_10_16_05.00-0612.thumb.jpg.d9f604bb303686d4051251f1c6b8d4d3.jpg

Oh yes, they have seriously messed with PVE.

Edited by Asym_KS

[TX]
Members
1,101 posts
21,806 battles

Bot always shoot center of ships and never miss ( tier 6 on) so engine broken is normal.

I use prev. man. But bb quite always damage something in my DD.

Regards

[CRMPI]
Members
262 posts
7,393 battles
On 11/3/2019 at 7:04 AM, Asym_KS said:

LS doesn't seem to be as robust as of a few weeks ago......  Almost everyday, I find myself being hamstrung with skills that should remediate at least some of the damage.....  And yes, a lot of secondary damage "specific to what weapons you have selected......  A lot of damage at the exact and optimal firing angles.

Another interesting "twist" is that I've been paying a lot of attention to the aiming reticle these past two weeks or so.....  Has anyone notices reticle "chatter".......where the reticle moves on it's own making staying on target difficult?  And, the other reticle nuance is watching enemy ships in range start to turn when they "fall into the next to be shot" category......where they actually start to turn the second your reticle enters the firing arc at the optimal distances....???  The computer knows when you can or can not shoot and it is "reacting to your intent".....  Our host has messed with something to "degrade the value of COOP" to force COOP players into their gimmick events or Randoms.....  Like the mercy rule where the game ends the second you fire torpedoes to kill an untouched BB....  And no, this situation does not meet any of the game conclusion basics.....

shot-19_10_10_16_05.00-0612.thumb.jpg.d9f604bb303686d4051251f1c6b8d4d3.jpg

Oh yes, they have seriously messed with PVE.

I have noticed that in recent updates.
The ships in co-op and in some of the Halloween events are now nose diving and turning to avoid shells in flight, just like the torp dodging. It's crazy bad when I'm playing Tier VII and VIII.
I mean DD and even larger ships like BBs are now doing this strange twisting dance move and or literally taking a nose dive they are stopping and accelerating so quickly to avoid shells.
It's forcing people to move to much closer than normal firing ranges to get hits. At least that's what is happening for me.

I've seen ships even accelerate to avoid hits on long shots.
Co-op games are suddenly taking much longer now and my average damage is way down.

I've been playing much less the last few weeks, since noticing these ridiculous things in game.
I'm also being citadeled all the damn time now, in my cruisers. I'm not yoloing, but these ultra long range shots from bot cruisers and BBs are hitting me in critical spots from 15 plus KM  now. I'm zigging and zagging to no avail.
I can't even bow tank or kite, because the shells from what are sometimes the exact same ship will pen with much higher rates than mine.
IE me in my helena vs a bot helena was a disaster the other night. I was bow tanking while the bot was showing a perfect side and my shells both HE and AP didn't do squat. I tried switching to AP and got tons of low roll or even zero damage pens and HE wouldn't burn it or pen either, even though I have IFHE.
The bot helena was on the other hand melting me with every salvo, while bow tanking straight at it and setting me on fire every other salvo.
The shots hit me the same I figured out, weather I go straight or zigzag. Doesn't matter which I do, go straight or dance around, the pen and huge damage are the same for me now.

I did a experiment a few weeks back with my Atlanta with a 3 point American captain, vs my 18 pointer in a few games, and there was no difference in play.
It was like the 18 pointer's skills weren't even working, or at least nerfed in ability.
I've tried two reinstalls to no avail.

Oh yes, I've noticed the reticle "chatter" too, usually right when you have a perfect bead on the red ship's citadel...
I thought it might be my system or install the last few weeks, I'm glad you brought it up.
It's not like server reticle, it's a quick violent side to side shaking.

Edited by Ericmopar
  • Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,727 posts
30,167 battles
On 11/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, Curly__san said:

That, and the incidence of your torpedo tubes being damaged &/or outright destroyed increases almost exponentially as you approach a firing solution in PVE these days. Not saying that is somehow a deliberate thing on WG's part; because that would trigger:

I'm guessing you're referring to the incredible frequency with which your tubes are either disabled or totally destroyed the picosecond before you dispatch your torps  to take out the CA/BB you're bearing down on.