You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

Shuri Castle destroyed by fire - 31/10/2019

14 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Members
9,175 posts

Not only Japan but world heritage sites are NOT having a good year... First the Notre Dame in Paris, then KyoAni, and now we've lost Shurijo to a fire...
japan-okinawa-castle-fire.jpgthis-aerial-picture-shows-the-smoulderin

Some of you Call of Duty players might remember the castle from World at War, during the real one, it was shelled by Mississippi for three days. The castle itself is a reconstruction, for obvious reasons, and only the stone walls and other similar components are officially World Heritage designation by the UN.
6 of the buildings were lost, but nobody was caught in the fire. It's a loss, but Okinawa will rebuild!

• Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,873 posts
29,591 battles

When I was in Japan, one of the tour guides mentioned that a few of the temples we visited had burned and been rebuilt several times because of fire, generally related to lightning strikes.

Is that what happened here?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,297 posts
22,581 battles

Oh no ... This is genuinely saddening to me :(

[SOUP]
Members
9,175 posts
16 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

When I was in Japan, one of the tour guides mentioned that a few of the temples we visited had burned and been rebuilt several times because of fire, generally related to lightning strikes.

Weather in Naha is only cloudy, so I don't think so. We'll know more soon

0 posts

horrid news. It looks far worse than the Notre Dame fire, is there anything left of the structure?

Members
12,624 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Oh no ... This is genuinely saddening to me :(

I agree, the world is losing far too many beautiful historical sites and treasures. :Smile_sad:

I certainly hope world authorities look into if these events to see if they are truly accidental or are covertly arson considering this is at least the second major site in the world badly damaged or destroyed within the same year. They caught at least one guy that was about to commit arson to Cathedral in New York.

Good News is enough of Notre Dame survived, the artifacts were saved, and plenty of finding is being provided to restore Notre Dame. Which actually was needing major restoration work anyway so in a twist of fate that fire may have saved it ironically.

This Japanese structure has the benefit of Japanese being meticulous enough as a culture that they hopefully can rebuild it. Just hopefully any old artifacts were able to be saved just Iike they were at Notre Dame.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,297 posts
22,581 battles
3 hours ago, LoveBote said:

horrid news. It looks far worse than the Notre Dame fire, is there anything left of the structure?

Probably not much, since Japanese castles trend tot be wooden structures and that fire looks all-encompassing.

[WPORT]
Members
11,726 posts
16,062 battles

Sad news.  
I hope they can continue the 'tradition' of re-building the Castle.

For now, we mourn, and investigate.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,200 posts
6,272 battles
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure about the lightning strikes, but it is true that the structure has been rebuilt multiple times in the past.

Shuri Castle was also heavily damaged during the Second World War as well because the Japanese had an installation located on its grounds, so the US attacked it with various armaments...like rounds from the battleship USS Mississippi during the Battle of Okinawa.

37f066651b5f17fe0a8809f8f96cbecd.jpg

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,200 posts
6,272 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I agree, the world is losing far too many beautiful historical sites and treasures. :Smile_sad:

I certainly hope world authorities look into if these events to see if they are truly accidental or are covertly arson considering this is at least the second major site in the world badly damaged or destroyed within the same year. They caught at least one guy that was about to commit arson to Cathedral in New York.

Good News is enough of Notre Dame survived, the artifacts were saved, and plenty of finding is being provided to restore Notre Dame. Which actually was needing major restoration work anyway so in a twist of fate that fire may have saved it ironically.

This Japanese structure has the benefit of Japanese being meticulous enough as a culture that they hopefully can rebuild it. Just hopefully any old artifacts were able to be saved just Iike they were at Notre Dame.

I'm sure it will be rebuilt.

After all, Shuri Castle was destroyed multiple times in the past.  Most notably, the castle was decimated during the Second World War by various US armaments, which included rounds from the battleship USS Mississippi during the Battle of Okinawa.

52842245.okadvance.jpg

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,296 posts
27,061 battles

I visited that place when I was stationed at MCAS Futenma, Okinawa 1996-1997.  Shame.  My roommate had a SOFA driver's license and drove around the island showing all kinds of places.  All kinds of places, including Shuri Castle.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[REVY]
Members
8,503 posts
6,118 battles

These old wooden world heritage sites should seriously consider some powerful fire suppression systems.