pallas_2

Thunderer - First Impressions

11 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
101 posts
7,621 battles

I’d held off getting the Thunderer, but yesterday pulled the trigger after a few to many recent T10 BB games where RNG didn’t smile on me. Only 4 games of experience but I like it so far, the guns are very accurate. Actually, this is closer to what I wanted the RN BB like, great accuracy and hard hitting, but a little fragile (see Battle of Jutland).

We’ll see how it plays longer term, but 3 dev strikes in 4 games has been a blast (pun intended). Yesterday I was sailing with Shimikaze in tow and broadside Georgia came around an island. A four gun salvo for 30,000 damage and we continued to push without delay. The Shima Captain was sending incredulous chat messages at how the Georgia was obliterated. In the next game a Zao disappeared at 17km when six shells hit with 3 citadels. Anyway, in 4 games I’m averaging 128k of damage and still don’t have the low velocity guns quite figured out.

The biggest downside is the ability to eat pens. Not too big an issue at long ranges, but I took a few big hits. Will need to work on angling and being a bit less aggressive than in a GK or Republique.

[LOIN]
Supertester
717 posts

If you have the Conqueror the play I assume is similar just no special repairing abilities. 

I was thinking about getting the Thunderor, thanks for the review.

[RKLES]
Members
11,291 posts
12,715 battles
27 minutes ago, pallas_2 said:

I’d held off getting the Thunderer, but yesterday pulled the trigger after a few to many recent T10 BB games where RNG didn’t smile on me. Only 4 games of experience but I like it so far, the guns are very accurate. Actually, this is closer to what I wanted the RN BB like, great accuracy and hard hitting, but a little fragile (see Battle of Jutland).

We’ll see how it plays longer term, but 3 dev strikes in 4 games has been a blast (pun intended). Yesterday I was sailing with Shimikaze in tow and broadside Georgia came around an island. A four gun salvo for 30,000 damage and we continued to push without delay. The Shima Captain was sending incredulous chat messages at how the Georgia was obliterated. In the next game a Zao disappeared at 17km when six shells hit with 3 citadels. Anyway, in 4 games I’m averaging 128k of damage and still don’t have the low velocity guns quite figured out.

The biggest downside is the ability to eat pens. Not too big an issue at long ranges, but I took a few big hits. Will need to work on angling and being a bit less aggressive than in a GK or Republique.

Republique is not exactly something to use as aggressively as GK since Republique is really easy to citadel when you know where to hit it, and can rather reliably citadeled using the weak spot. 

[WOLFG]
Members
101 posts
7,621 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Republique is not exactly something to use as aggressively as GK since Republique is really easy to citadel when you know where to hit it, and can rather reliably citadeled using the weak spot. 

Fair point ... on the continuum of aggressiveness the GK is at one end and the Thunderer is likely the other. That being said, the accuracy is such that reaching out 20+ km to reliably do damage is possible.

Members
9,048 posts
10,235 battles

My first impressions of Thunderer while testing in co-op are thus: OMGLOL THIS THINGS IS BORKED ALL TO HECK. Your armor? PFT, Thunderer laffs at u. Your angling? PFT Thunderer laffs at u. Your bow and or stern? PFT Thunderer laffs at u. Your HE resistance? PFT Thunderer laffs at u. Trying to find Thunderer? PFT Thunderer laffs at u.

Basically, if you can't catch her broadside, she will laugh at you, and you will go back to port.

tl;dr: I love Thunderer. :3

Edited by TheKrimzonDemon
  • Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
101 posts
7,621 battles
1 hour ago, Starfleet1701 said:

If you have the Conqueror the play I assume is similar just no special repairing abilities. 

I was thinking about getting the Thunderor, thanks for the review.

Seems to handle a bit more like the Conqueror with the legendary module, but you don’t have to give up the concealment module.

[WOLFG]
Members
101 posts
7,621 battles

Day 2 update - less good as I had two games where the DD screen ran away (which is really annoying after they asked for support). Without help, the Thunderer is really, really susceptible to smoked up HE spams where there is spotting.

On the plus, it really does print dev strikes on cruisers. Never have I had so many multi-citadel volleys. The downside of this accuracy is that you are unlikely to get the lucky hit on active maneuvering targets - your shells are too accurate.

[PIMPS]
[PIMPS]
Members
10 posts
8,885 battles

I have this boat for a little bit now. ive come realize this is my boat of choice for clan battles IMO. its a burner/sniper/and up close the AP DESTROYS ALL CA's and BATTLESHIPS in any type desirable angle. Video Below I deleted a Yamato close. The Point is that Im having a lot of fun with this boat. GREAT SHIP!!!!

• Cool 1

Members
163 posts
6,014 battles
On 11/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, Eddiechopp said:

I have this boat for a little bit now. ive come realize this is my boat of choice for clan battles IMO. its a burner/sniper/and up close the AP DESTROYS ALL CA's and BATTLESHIPS in any type desirable angle. Video Below I deleted a Yamato close. The Point is that Im having a lot of fun with this boat. GREAT SHIP!!!!

Mother of God......Wow.

Members
2,421 posts
4,126 battles

I just got my Thunderer as well. She is a flat-out murderbote. You guys even forgot the craziest part. MBM3 = 22.29-second reload. That's nearly Scharnhorst fast.

Most favorite battleship ever. She will be my number one Puerto Rico hunter, heh heh...

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.