You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EasyEight

Why did they nerf the baby CVs??

24 comments in this topic

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
195 posts
8,789 battles

The most balanced gameplay with CVs is T4 -- Langley, Hermes and Hosho. They must be played as team support ships, as they are not powerful enough to sink most ships alone. Their planes are relatively vulnerable (shot to death quickly by T5 ships, etc.), fairly slow and only launch one attack at a time that cannot deliver a strong blow -- usually up to about 2K per successful attack. With AA fire, you may only get two attacks in. But, because the planes were nimble it was fun to turn quickly and line up another attack.

But now even the baby CVs have been nerfed.

1. People complained about Hermes' agile planes, so the turning radius was nerfed. Add that to its relatively long arming time for torps, low damage for bombs and rockets, this CV is  no longer competitive or that much fun to play.

2. Langley has always been an OK baby CV, but its planes are slow and attack times relatively long -- less than Hermes, longer than Hosho. It's planes had larger turn radius than Hermes, but now is about the same.

3. Hosho was the "best" baby CV, but just got nerfed. The torps are now much slower and take longer to arm, so you can no longer easily lay a torp into a maneuvering ship. Rockets already had a "meh" dispersal pattern but at lest the bombs could possibly get a Cit hit if the stars lined up.

All baby CVs now also have a longer cool-down between attacks, so it's not possible to do repeat attacks through formations of ships as before.

Why?? What was the point of this???

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
11,614 posts

In a T3-T4 match there are many ships with hardly any AA which is why these CVs are too powerful in relation to the AA they face. The Hosho in particular is a problem as the buff with 2 torps per attack really allows it to stomp on other ships.

Members
2,209 posts
6,979 battles

Long story short, they nerfed the baby CVs to keep them from clubbing the baby seals down at lower tiers with little to no aa protection. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,621 posts
5,143 battles

Because baby CVs were played by adult players to statpad/farm creating a pretty bad environment.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
1,688 posts
17,468 battles
37 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

In a T3-T4 match there are many ships with hardly any AA which is why these CVs are too powerful in relation to the AA they face. The Hosho in particular is a problem as the buff with 2 torps per attack really allows it to stomp on other ships.

Could have something to do with the current state that BBs and other ships with little to no AA are absolute fodder for T4 CV's. It takes a  real tater to miss them with torpedoes. Tier III and most IV BBs are  painfully slow and attempts to WASD are pretty futile. 

Thus, we have almost all lower tier games with 2 CVs as folks have found the easy button. Dreadnought would have never faced a CV, at least not without heavily augmented AA. 

And nope, wrong, I mainly play DDs and cruisers. 

Edited by Pugilistic
grammar

[A-I-M]
Members
1,688 posts
17,468 battles
38 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Long story short, they nerfed the baby CVs to keep them from clubbing the baby seals down at lower tiers with little to no aa protection. 

Its still basically clubbing. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,357 posts

Perhaps the best way to rid WOWS of stat padders -- is to restrict < T5 statistics from being considered in WR and other totals.

Instead of nerfing the ships, nerf the stat padders.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,400 posts
11,503 battles

Hosho getting two torps is a nerf? What?

[WOLF7]
Members
12,236 posts

Seal clubber complains about not being able to club seals as easily as before...film at 11.:Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
11,614 posts
43 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Hosho getting two torps is a nerf? What?

OP is referring to the recent nerf that reduced torp speed on the hosho etc.

[WORX]
Members
5,792 posts
15,746 battles
2 hours ago, EasyEight said:

The most balanced gameplay with CVs is T4 -- Langley, Hermes and Hosho. They must be played as team support ships, as they are not powerful enough to sink most ships alone. Their planes are relatively vulnerable (shot to death quickly by T5 ships, etc.), fairly slow and only launch one attack at a time that cannot deliver a strong blow -- usually up to about 2K per successful attack. With AA fire, you may only get two attacks in. But, because the planes were nimble it was fun to turn quickly and line up another attack.

But now even the baby CVs have been nerfed.

1. People complained about Hermes' agile planes, so the turning radius was nerfed. Add that to its relatively long arming time for torps, low damage for bombs and rockets, this CV is  no longer competitive or that much fun to play.

2. Langley has always been an OK baby CV, but its planes are slow and attack times relatively long -- less than Hermes, longer than Hosho. It's planes had larger turn radius than Hermes, but now is about the same.

3. Hosho was the "best" baby CV, but just got nerfed. The torps are now much slower and take longer to arm, so you can no longer easily lay a torp into a maneuvering ship. Rockets already had a "meh" dispersal pattern but at lest the bombs could possibly get a Cit hit if the stars lined up.

All baby CVs now also have a longer cool-down between attacks, so it's not possible to do repeat attacks through formations of ships as before.

Why?? What was the point of this???

Blame Ichase, He is 2 for 2 in advocating CV/torp nerfs...

WG haven't learned their lesson yet... Their "decision making" process is currently based on hearsay...  

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
195 posts
8,789 battles
7 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Perhaps the best way to rid WOWS of stat padders -- is to restrict < T5 statistics from being considered in WR and other totals.

Instead of nerfing the ships, nerf the stat padders.

That would make a lot more sense. Just like adding a "no CVs" filter for the Never CV crowd to click, puts 'em in a queue where the first choice is into a game with no CVs.

I don't even get the "stat padding" thing -- why bother? Either it's fun to play the game or not. I've gotten all the way up the line to CV Midway, but given the pay-wall effect of premium ships and much more expensive repairs, I enjoy playing T4-6 most of the time. I also have a ton of fun taking some T2-T3 ships out for a spin sometimes, like that crazy little T2 German DD the V-25, it's like playing a zippy little armed water bug that can skitter around with torps. Anyways -- CVs can be balanced and fun. As someone who enjoyed taking Baby CVs out every now and again, it's disappointing to see them get nerfed into boring, un-fun to play slow moving targets.

Oh -- and regarding "clubbing" -- just see what happens to you when you're sailing around all excited to be in you T9 Iowa BB and you run into a T10 Kremlin. Yer toast, clubbed to death, no contest. I've never been able to do that in a Baby CV, even against a T3 ship. You don't seal club a T3 St Louis with your Hermes CV. You might annoy it, harass it, ding it up a bit but rarely will you sink it. You tend to add damage to a damaged ship, hope to set a fire and help wear it out -- and you might be the one to put down a damaged St. Louis -- but seal club one?? Unless the player decides sailing in a straight line is how they'll play, it ain't gonna happen.

Edited by EasyEight

[KOHAI]
Members
1,668 posts
4,282 battles

"baby CVs" are a wall to playing the queens at tier 8 and ten. That's all. Personally, they can't really get much stronger without being irritating to tier 3 ships, fighting strong-ish planes in a ship with 7 AA is no fun.

[STW-N]
Members
112 posts
13,225 battles

Last night I played 2 CV games. I put Torp Acceleration on my Hosho. The average now is 3vs3 CVs for me at least. Last 4 low tier games this was the usual and it's what I've seen on Twitch.

One game I got about 125k damage and around 23 torp hits. I am personally not very good with timing drops and I missed at least 3 or 4 good drops in the beginning. Despite 4 kills 125k damage I lost that game.

The very next game had about 4 or 5 non CVs, 2 CVs...Late Night MM and I won by advocating my team stay with me and the friendly Langley to provide AA Cover. It worked! Only 50kish damage but there wasn't really enough targets to do damage to. The only friendly left was a Cruiser that used our AA. Most games that are good and go the mile CVs are the only ships left alive and they fight it out or rely on the points acquired by their team. So they don't win but they can damage if it's all they do and the enemy is 'straight lining' enough to let them. I feel confidant that 150k is possible and 100k average if damage is all you want. 

I tried playing a Nassau about a week back and it was about the most boring experience I'd ever had. 3 or 4 drops from a Hosho and I was destroyed. The only counter to CVs are great DDs that can slip through the lines and destroy the CVs. Or Poor CV Players who don't know how to play the game. I think that CVs own the lower tiers a bit too much. They're never de-planed and I feel confidant in doing over 100k in a decent game. What other class can do this? I also am adept at dropping torps on DDs which I usually use to pull a win. 

Aside playing DDs low tier play is not entertaining for anyone but maybe a good DD who can cope. 

[POP]
Members
507 posts
5,947 battles

They had to nerf the low tier CV's to offset the skill gap between the average person playing low tier CV's and low tier surface ships.  Why the skill gap you ask?  Well the average guy playing low tier surface ships is grinding his/her way through a line to get to other ships.  They are either new to that ship or the game entirely.   Transversely the average player in a low tier CV is there because t6, t8 and t10 face brutal uptiering, AA and players who know how to neuter a CV by stacking AA while using sectors/def AA etc.  Not to mention the salt thrown at CV players in uper tiers by players who think they know what a CV should be doing but in reality have no clue is in abundance.   Even when you do get that rare noob CV captain, due to the every other tier layout of the CV tech tree that noob spends twice as much time in the same ship so they subsequently learn it much better than the comparable surface ship captain. 

In my opinion it has nothing to do with actual gameplay balance.  One of my favorite T4 ships has nearly zero AA and is a BB.  Yes 3 CV'S can focus and eventually kill me but it takes them the entire match to do it.  At those tiers it's not about AA, it's about finding your wasd keys.  Learning this makes your AA much more effective at higher tiers as well. 

Members
69 posts
53 battles

What??? Those CV's are monsters......

If you're unable to stay 70K and above, you're working them wrong..... or was working them wrong.

[POP]
Members
507 posts
5,947 battles
35 minutes ago, SirMoric said:

What??? Those CV's are monsters......

If you're unable to stay 70K and above, you're working them wrong..... or was working them wrong.

70k is not OP.  I can do that in my Ishizuchi. 

Members
69 posts
53 battles
On 11/25/2019 at 9:27 PM, HallaSnackbar said:

70k is not OP.  I can do that in my Ishizuchi. 

I was just about to argue against you, cause the average damage by that ship is 33k damage..... then saw that 28k was the average for the Hosho.... though that's for the entire period during the rework...

Though I'd argue it's easier to get good games out of a CV than a BB, and more consistently....

But I guess I'd go back and play my Ishi a bit more, just to feel the comparison vs. the CV.

• Cool 1

[GOBI]
Members
522 posts
1,593 battles
On 10/27/2019 at 3:40 PM, dad003 said:

Because cry baby were crying

With almost 10k battles, what are you doing playing t4 CV's? Seal clubbing/stat padding?

• Cool 1

[DENY]
Members
834 posts
9,847 battles
6 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

With almost 10k battles, what are you doing playing t4 CV's? Seal clubbing/stat padding?

Been mostly playing t10 that were the real potato are these days