You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sarah_Lafayette

Help me interpret my DATA! :D

12 comments in this topic

[-REK-]
Members
7 posts
3,918 battles

So I recently looked at my clan's member list to see how my numbers had changed. What I found was that I was #3 in E/B 4 in D/B mid-tier in F/B and NEARLY LAST(6th from it) in winrate. obviously 35 people isn't a good data set, but in general using your outside knowledge, what are these numbers telling you? my E/B is on par with people who have 10-15% better win rates. So it seems that I'm making an impact, just not a game-winning one. Is it because I play mostly BB? Am I making poor decisions on the more macro level?  Help me out here. :)  - Sarah 
P.S. let me know if there is any additional data I should include. 
image.thumb.png.67dc4abd7113c0476e1c315b91143de1.png

SO.. I've discovered the WOWS stats website. It seems my win-rate plummeted after 8.15-8.20 which was around the MM changes. fair enough I guess. average damage and experience have both slowly climbed.
My last 21 days solo look relatively solid aside from I should never play DD apparently. How do I use these numbers to get better. (than average)

Edited by Sarah_Lafayette
additional info

[WORX]
Members
14,880 posts
21,273 battles

At 44%WR you're one percentage point off in joining the %90 percentile of all the NA server population (everyone is inbetween %45-%55 WR). 

Considering how much games you have, its avg.

Apparently you like to spend time with the French BBs.

I would recommend to diversify but if you love them then why change... :Smile_smile:

Not to mention, you like High tier game play...

Edited by Navalpride33

[-REK-]
Members
7 posts
3,918 battles
19 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

At 44%WR you're one percentage point off in joining the %90 percentile of all the NA server population (everyone is inbetween %45-%55 WR). 

Considering how much games you have, its avg.

Apparently you like to spend time with the French BBs.

I would recommend to diversify but if you love them then why change... :Smile_smile:

Not to mention, you like High tier game play...

I think I do obviously love them, those French Battleships :fish_aqua:. I'm recently playing the Lenin and grinding up through RU BB as well. 

Navalpride33, can you elaborate on what you mean by high tier gameplay? is there something specific about it that skews data or playstyles or..? I'm relatively new to the game and I don't know what you mean by this. :fish_book:

Edited by Sarah_Lafayette

[WORX]
Members
14,880 posts
21,273 battles
4 minutes ago, Sarah_Lafayette said:

Navalpride33, can you elaborate on what you mean by high tier gameplay?

What I mean by high tier play is the presence of the following (seen from tiers 8- 10)

• AP spam
  • HE spam
  • Fire being the dominate DMG dealer
    • Or AP depending on the fleet make up of the match
  • Flooding or torps is a non threat issue.
  • Radar
  • Hydro
  • CVs

Tiers 5 to 7, you have a different playing meta... The Devs this year, made sure the contrast between the two areas was really noticeable.

You have, more higher tier game play, then probably anyone else who has, the same number of battle as you.

I

[-REK-]
Members
7 posts
3,918 battles

14 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

You have, more higher tier game play, then probably anyone else who has, the same number of battle as you.

Acknowledging all of these things. you cited it as a reason for my win-rate initially. What determines win-rate at high tiers?  skill/experience, playstyle, ship selection, luck, rng? 
You seem like you really know your stuff, can you speak to any common traits seen in players at high tiers who pull numbers averaging out in +1.5z and up area? 
(I honestly thought people playing 5-7 just REALLY loved certain premiums or hadn't made it to 10 yet. thinking of 5-7 as an entire intentional Meta and way of life is a new Idea to me.)

Thank you for all your help so far :) . 

[WORX]
Members
14,880 posts
21,273 battles
1 minute ago, Sarah_Lafayette said:

Acknowledging all of these things. you cited it as a reason for my win-rate initially. What determines win-rate at high tiers?  skill/experience, playstyle, ship selection, luck, rng? 
You seem like you really know your stuff, can you speak to any common traits seen in players at high tiers who pull numbers averaging out in +1.5z and up area? 
(I honestly thought people playing 5-7 just REALLY loved certain premiums or hadn't made it to 10 yet. thinking of 5-7 as an entire intentional Meta and way of life is a new Idea to me.)

Thank you for all your help so far :) . 

I am not that smart in the game, if you need help in high tier games. I highly recommend @Lord_Zath YT channel.

What determines a WR ? Randoms battles and IMO Newtons law of gravity, what comes up must come down. If you want to better it I recommend

• Division up with players who know their ship role

Also, some ships are over capable/OP to where if you know the class, then you can inflate your abilities and/or WR.

Remember %90 of the WOWS server population is around %45-%55 percent...

My recommendation is play the tier/ships you love to play... As long as its fun for you the that all it matters.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,442 posts
27,565 battles

Yeah send me some replays!  lordzathna@gmail.com

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,834 posts
4,790 battles
6 hours ago, Sarah_Lafayette said:

Just a quick observation: at 30% your main battery hit rate is low.  Mid-tier French BBs have that shotgun characteristic, but with the higher tier guns you should be over 40% threatening 50%.  (Torp hit rate is a bit low, but torps are a crapshoot on the best of days.)  Get your hit rate up and your lethality, XP, and WR should follow.

Also, pay attention to shell type selection.  Are you using HE and AP at the right times?  Do you know what the right times are?

Rx:  Training room and Lord_Zath.

Good luck. :Smile_honoring:

[-REK-]
Members
7 posts
3,918 battles

9 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Just a quick observation: at 30% your main battery hit rate is low.  Mid-tier French BBs have that shotgun characteristic, but with the higher tier guns you should be over 40% threatening 50%.  (Torp hit rate is a bit low, but torps are a crapshoot on the best of days.)  Get your hit rate up and your lethality, XP, and WR should follow.

Thank you for pointing that out! I had never noticed that. I think my hit rate is probably threatening 50%.   What I end up doing though is shooting blind if I don't other targets and I'm going to stay detected anyway. shooting at smoke, 15km+ DDs, complete blind shots in the direction I think I'm being detected from. (and over the bow of sassy clanmates XD). Certainly a terrible habit for my stats, but I think it explains it. I don't ever shoot at something I can't see (unless it's a DD I'm charging in smoke) in place of visible and viable targets, but I do shoot blind very frequently. When I aim to hit a ship, I get rounds on target or scattered around everywhere but target at long ranges ~ viva le france ~ my Mogador has 45% hit rate and I still, although much more rarely, blind fire smoke in it.      -- If you come back and tell me that it only tracks shot fired onto tracked opponents, then I'm just bad or too far away and need to get good. :D 

As for HE AND AP. I'm learning, I've got the basics but I'm learning what I can and can't pen at what angles/ships/ranges.  I've only been playing a few months and so far it's been the biggest learning curve is knowing exactly what will and won't work.

5 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

Yeah send me some replays!  lordzathna@gmail.com

Absolutely! I've been watching more of you're videos to get a better idea of what to send. :D 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,834 posts
4,790 battles

There's such a thing as fire discipline.  It becomes increasingly important as the lethality of the enemy's weapons increases.  And no, the stats don't lie.

Yes, huge learning curve.  Stay interested in improving and you will.

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,442 posts
27,565 battles
10 hours ago, Sarah_Lafayette said:

Absolutely! I've been watching more of you're videos to get a better idea of what to send. :D 

No need for that - send me whatever you like! I've had training room games, co-op, scenario, randoms, ranked, clan battles, etc.  I've had games where the player dies in 4 minutes.  It really doesn't matter!  I usually find the most helpful games are "normal" games.  No need to be selective :)

[FML]
Members
4,318 posts
16,490 battles
On 10/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, Sarah_Lafayette said:

general using your outside knowledge, what are these numbers telling you?

Hi, welcome to WoWS :)

There are a few things that your stats suggest to me.  

Firstly, you've rushed up the tiers really quickly.  Whilst I understand the temptation, the high tier (T8+) meta is different to mid tiers (T5-7), which is different again to low tiers (T1-4).  I suggest you spend more time in mid tier battles, where you will face players of mixed skills, experience, equipment, captain skill points, and the games will involve more chaos and mistakes are not punished as severely.  In high tier battles, it can be a bit campy because the ships are so strong, if you make a mistake other players are good and experienced enough to punish you sternly for it, making it difficult to recover.  As you get more experience in mid tiers, particularly with regard to hitting targets at max range every time, hitting fast moving destroyers at mid range every time, working out where enemy cruisers will be and 1 shotting them in your battleship, anticipating where torps will come from before you can see them, and other type of 'soft skills', then you will be much more effective in the high tier meta where pretty much all players around you can do those things.  

Secondly,  your survival rate is extremely low at 15%.  Now, to some extent this is based on your win rate - losing teams tend to get killed outright more than winning teams, so as you win more your survival rate will go up.  However, 40% of the time battles in WoWS are decided in the last few minutes - if you're dead, you cant change the outcome of the battle to turn a loss into a win.  The key to this game is controlled aggression - its about taking the right amount of risk to get the right amount of reward.  Camping at the back loses battles, and rushing in at the start loses battles - you want to be near the action the whole time, but have an escape plan ready to go at short notice to keep yourself alive.  All the while, you should be looking to damage high priority targets (destroyers, and low HP ships of any type).  There is no point doing 10k damage to a battleship when you could do 4k damage to a destroyer and kill him - late battle, destroyers are extremely dangerous because they are stealthy and can kill any ship with a well placed torpedo salvo.  

Finally, I suggest the below resources to help you win - in particular, LWM's guide to controlling your win rate which you should focus on doing whilst playing mid-tiers more (as I suggested above). 

Good luck!!