Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Y_Nagato

Smolensk OP, please Nerf!

12 comments in this topic

[PISD]
Members
651 posts
4,336 battles

Joke.

More a technical question: those quad turret, were they ever designed and if yes, were they effective? I know that some similar gun layout exist with smaller caliber thanks to auto loader, but with DD caliber guns? Never heard of that and I can see many reason why such design would be ineffective... So yeah, anybody know if it actually worked as intended?

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[-KIA-]
Members
5,177 posts
11,712 battles

Soviet expert here, the quad turret was an upscaled version of the 45mm Quad you see on high tier Soviet ships, basically they took the 45 and upscaled it to a 130mm turret.  As for if it would be practical?  No idea because that kind of design would be plagued with all sorts of problems.  Given like 5-10 years they probably could've ironed out all the problems but MLK-16-130 was a flawed design from the start since anti ship missiles were becoming more and more prevalent. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PISD]
Members
651 posts
4,336 battles
4 minutes ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

Soviet expert here, the quad turret was an upscaled version of the 45mm Quad you see on high tier Soviet ships, basically they took the 45 and upscaled it to a 130mm turret.  As for if it would be practical?  No idea because that kind of design would be plagued with all sorts of problems.  Given like 5-10 years they probably could've ironed out all the problems but MLK-16-130 was a flawed design from the start since anti ship missiles were becoming more and more prevalent. 

Thanks for the answer camarade! 07

[O-PN]
Members
9,050 posts
10,249 battles

The reality is this: A design of that size and caliber even today would have a ton of issues, no matter the country designing it, let alone the USSR/Russia.  WG, though, does not let reality get in the way of things, it's a nuisance to be avoided, it appears at times.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
4,066 posts
21,713 battles
1 hour ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

If they're going with auto feed, yeah I can see issues with the ammo, links, feed mechanism, ejection and exhaust. It looks like that's what they were going for. My record of shots fired is 2652  rounds in the smol.

[TBW]
Members
9,291 posts
16,150 battles
41 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

The reality is this: A design of that size and caliber even today would have a ton of issues, no matter the country designing it, let alone the USSR/Russia.  WG, though, does not let reality get in the way of things, it's a nuisance to be avoided, it appears at times.

At least it's not biased, no jams or misfires for any nation. I don't know about in war time but in peace time it takes a long time to clear a misfire from the 3 inch guns, that were on the Gator Freighter that I was on.

This gives you an Idea if you are interested.

https://maritime.org/doc/clearingord/index.htm

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[O-PN]
Members
9,050 posts
10,249 battles
38 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

At least it's not biased, no jams or misfires for any nation. I don't know about in war time but in peace time it takes a long time to clear a misfire from the 3 inch guns, that were on the Gator Freighter that I was on.

This gives you an Idea if you are interested.

https://maritime.org/doc/clearingord/index.htm

Oh, I'm aware. Clearing the old CIWS was a nightmare, I watched a couple gunners mates work on one on the Gunston Hall, it jammed during exercises.

[TBW]
Members
9,291 posts
16,150 battles
1 minute ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Oh, I'm aware. Clearing the old CIWS was a nightmare, I watched a couple gunners mates work on one on the Gunston Hall, it jammed during exercises.

It didn't help that we were using WW2 shells in 1981. A couple of the air burst shells blew up only about 100 yards from the ship and you could feel the particles hitting you. I was happy none of them hit me in the eyes. Very Dangerous.

[CVA16]
Members
4,445 posts
13,794 battles
On 10/22/2019 at 11:30 AM, Sovereigndawg said:

A docent on the Texas said there was almost no way to clear a misfire in one of the mains in combat. No way to safely open the breach, extract the powder bag(s), hoping they don't explode, and pull the shell back out (there are no hooks on the back end of the shell, nothing to grab onto). The loading procedure was pretty much unidirectional. Changing ammo in a loaded gun would be impossible too.

Yes, the equipment on WG ships always functions flawlessly, unlike real life. Guns don't misfire or overheat. Turrets never jam. Torpedoes run straight. Radar...well that does die after less than a minute of use but can't be knocked out. Engines can always put out maximum power (except when flooding). Most damage has no effect on efficiency. Giant holes in the hull, fix the flooding and no problem, full speed ahead. There is even a skill to make your heavily damaged ships guns more efficient. Arcade game.

[TSIOF]
Beta Testers
47 posts
4,925 battles

Remember when the Royal Navy CLs launched and WG claimed that a CL with smoke AND HE would be OP which would break the meta. Its apparent vulnerability aside, it, like the Soviet BBs, and several other ship "schools of thought" seem to cater its collective strengths at what works best for the current meta and their advertised weaknesses are neither easily exploited or vary little from any other similar ship. It's not a coincidence. The stats show it to be true. In NA servers, Smolensk and Stalingrad sit one and two for avg frags and dmg output per game. They show strong in every other relevant positive stat too. Same can be said for many others at other tiers across the board. 

Sign in to follow this