You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MutsuKaiNi

Hey WG you ever going to give us a good IJN premo?

79 comments in this topic

[RKN]
Members
319 posts
10,675 battles

How long has it been since Atago? How many premiums have followed since then? I won't be counting Kaga and Harekaze, since CVs were and still are kinda niche and NA is a haven for the weeb haters. Subtracting those two it has been a near endless stream of bad to mediocre premiums for the IJN. All the while everyone else gets, Lenins, Massholes, Georgias, Belfasts, Thunderers, Scharnhorsts, T-61s, hell even the Italians, the other nation weegee seems to hate even got GC. 

So why is the IJN constantly left in the dust? I'm hoping the fallout of Yahagi's piss poor release will convince weegee to finally shape up and give the IJN something good for once. 

Spoiler

Yeah weegee we get it, you lost Tsushima, that was over 110 years ago, get over it

• Cool 8
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 7

[HINON]
Supertester
21,470 posts
15,219 battles

Ashitaka is a properly good ship after the buff.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,975 posts
12,378 battles
Just now, ValkyrWarframe said:

Musashi?  Kaga?  Do those ring a bell?

No no, Kaga's niche and erm Musashi's not OP because it's downtiered Yamato and erm, ignore the listed Thunderer, and erm, ignore the Kamikaze's. It was clearly stated to ignore Harekaze due to weeb hating too.

For fairness we'll ignore the nice new Azuma/Yoshino.

So erm, yeah be nice to Japan. It's not like they've got the second greatest number of premiums and way more than most nation's, or every post-WWII battleship they built or every dreadnought battleship class except Ise represented. 

This oppression must stop, no oil embargo!

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,324 posts
11,349 battles

Yoshio, Kii, Asashio, and Ashitaka are all pretty solid these days. In the low tiers there's also the Zucchini and the Tachibana is pretty OP AF. I don't have a good feeling for how good or bad Yukikaze or Yubari are since there just aren't many of them out there. If you ask me it's just that there haven't been any recent IJN premiums in general. Yahagi, sure, but Yuki and Yubari were long ago now. 

EDIT: I would say the only other real stinkers are all old: Mutsu, Katori, and ofc Mikasa.

Edited by pikohan

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,987 posts
4,274 battles

I'm pretty happy with Atago, Kaga, and Musashi.   

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,206 posts
6,029 battles

kii and ashitaka are so good,you rarely see them. kamikaze?with the new CV that once super scary DD is now free xp to CVs.

asashio?ah yes the specialized DD that is useless against cruiser and gunboat DDs ,her main predators. AA?who needs AA when you have dank deep water torps?

azuma?you gonna need to fight at VERY long range.no need for armor.

kaga?HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

in the end,only harekaze and atago fill the blanks of "good ijn premium". but harekaze is gone for now,so you only have atago. musashi is a nerfed yamato,i like her but you can get a better version for free and spend much less money on tier10 camo.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,755 posts
9,042 battles

What's the bar for good?

There are plenty of IJN premiums that perform well, have appropriate strengths and weaknesses, and are fun to play.   Kii, Ashitaka, Asashio, Azuma and Yoshino are definitely very solid ships.  They might not be as flashy, but they're certainly not bad or mediocre.  The IJN may have many mediocre prems, but I feel a large part of the "IJN prems suck" image is simply because the investment people have in specific IJN ships.  I mean, look at the USN premium lineup!  There's a TON of ships that are totally forgettable or forgotten.  It's not just the IJN.  Most premiums are mediocre.

[TROLO]
Members
373 posts
7,474 battles
21 minutes ago, MutsuKaiNi said:

How long has it been since Atago? How many premiums have followed since then? I won't be counting Kaga and Harekaze, since CVs were and still are kinda niche and NA is a haven for the weeb haters. Subtracting those two it has been a near endless stream of bad to mediocre premiums for the IJN. All the while everyone else gets, Lenins, Massholes, Georgias, Belfasts, Thunderers, Scharnhorsts, T-61s, hell even the Italians, the other nation weegee seems to hate even got GC. 

So why is the IJN constantly left in the dust? I'm hoping the fallout of Yahagi's piss poor release will convince weegee to finally shape up and give the IJN something good for once. 

Hide contents

Yeah weegee we get it, you lost Tsushima, that was over 110 years ago, get over it

Hayate still MAY be decent if they buff the concealment and torp reload as many CCs suggested, so a decent IJN prem may be near.

Also T-61 is pretty much the only good premium ship the Germans have so it's kind of a stretch to say that it's unfair for Japan compared to Germany.

But yeah, other than that I fully agree, all Axis powers again and again keep getting worse prems than other nations for no other reason that Tsushima, even the Holy spreadsheet says that most of the underperform but WG just ignores that fact when it's convenient to them.

We can prepare for Italy having awful prems (and possibly) tech tree ships for the Italians because it was an axis power, GC is kind of the exception but she came a very long time ago and WG was going to nerf it but muh statpadder ship people rejected the possibility of balancing Stalingrad, Smolensk, Enti, Belfast, Kutozov and the list goes on. 

Kind of wonder why French ships are so good in many cases when half the country supported Germany and even fought the allies with some ships, guess WG really like Baguettes with vodka but hates sausages, sake and pizza... 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,966 posts
19,397 battles

I think what your looking for is when are we going to get a Tier 6, 7, 8 premium IJN cruiser. 

*Looking at you Tone *

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,855 posts

Kaga is my favorite CV premium for randoms.  You said no CVs though.

Asashio is a blast to play.  Yes it is limited, not it is not a good competitive ship but in randoms, it is tons of fun.

Musashi is an all around solid BB.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,470 posts
15,219 battles
9 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

What's the bar for good?

OP liking it.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[H_]
Members
2,585 posts

Yes, I am an IJN main and there are a lot of IJN ships out there!  I'd love to pick up the Musashi if it ever becomes available again.....and, get rid of the Izumo...!!!  Or, maybe at tier 9, recreated the A-150 class BB.....  I'd like to see a good Tier 9 BB released....  I'm pretty good with the rest of the surface ships (except for the torpedo cruiser Oi that I'd love to see created and fielded.....)

[5BS]
Members
7,874 posts

Musashi is a free TX balanced against T9's.

Kii, now, is a straight upgrade over the Amagi with trollish torps.

Kaga is brutal to deal with.

Asashio is brutal if you can utilize her strengths.

Yoshino is trollish and one of the better Super Cruisers.

• Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
1,631 posts
6,514 battles
40 minutes ago, Lert said:

Ashitaka is a properly good ship after the buff.

Isn't her deck and cit deck armor both overmatchable by large enough BB shells? Not to mention that the steep angle of a deck would probably also arm the shells, meaning free cits? 

Don't get me wrong, she's a ship I have and use in certain situations (co-op and Narai), but calling her a good ship is difficult when she might explode hilariously while bottom tier.

[RKN]
Members
319 posts
10,675 battles

Okay let me address a few things

First off Musashi, yeah its good but you earned through fxp, when I'm saying premium, that means you spend actual money for it. In the same vain, Yoshino also doesn't count. Those two ships are actually decent, Musashi's issue I have it got the the typical IJN BB premo treatment, aka stock hull down tiered. Yoshino is what Azuma should have been from the start, and Azuma as is currently should just not exist. 

Ashitaka, is actually okay, especially after her buff, but its still the whole down tiered stock hull treatment which the IJN constantly gets saddled with. 

Asashio, yeah a torp focused DD that can only torp two classes, two of those being the multitude of gun bote DDs and HE spamming cruisers are the things it can't torp. So you are more at mercy of rng then even the other T8s.

Kii.... Kii makes me mad, the half-assed refit, its a 20's hull with mid to late 40's AA on. Seriously look at Amagi's refit, you just had to do something similar for Kii and it could have been really good. 

Azuma, yeah no need to beat a dead horse, we know why its bad but they won't fix it. 

19 minutes ago, XurMP said:

Kind of wonder why French ships are so good in many cases when half the country supported Germany and even fought the allies with some ships, guess WG really like Baguettes with vodka but hates sausages, sake and pizza... 

I'm almost certain someone high up in weegee is a baguetteaboo, its kinda of absurd how many good ships they get for a nation who's navy did less then Italy's. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 6

[5BS]
Members
7,874 posts
8 minutes ago, MutsuKaiNi said:

its kinda of absurd how many good ships they get for a nation who's navy did less then Italy's. 

I don't think it's fair to imply that Italy's navy did not do much in WWII; being in the fight, and in some of the biggest Naval Battles, especially gunnery duels, in WWII. Frankly the Italian Navy 'did more' than the German navy as a whole if you discount merchant hunting from subs. A fairer comparison would be that the French Navy on the whole contributed about as much as the Chinese Navy, and largely for the same reasons; it was heavily reduced in power and scale and essentially just a Destroyer force for the vast majority of the war.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,631 posts
6,514 battles
4 minutes ago, MutsuKaiNi said:

1 First off Musashi, yeah its good but you earned through fxp, when I'm saying premium, that means you spend actual money for it. In the same vain, Yoshino also doesn't count. Those two ships are actually decent, Musashi's issue I have it got the the typical IJN BB premo treatment, aka stock hull down tiered. Yoshino is what Azuma should have been from the start, and Azuma as is currently should just not exist. 

2 Ashitaka, is actually okay, especially after her buff, but its still the whole down tiered stock hull treatment which the IJN constantly gets saddled with. 

3 Azuma, yeah no need to beat a dead horse, we know why its bad but they won't fix it.

1A: Getting a bit arbitrary with the definition of a premium here.

1B: Fxp is the most buyable ship-purchasing resource. Getting a ton of super cheap doubloons from doubles of halloween camos, I converted elite xp for Mo when a conversion bonus came. Doubt I payed more than for a T8 BB overall.

2: Down tiered stock treatment doesn't necessarily mean bad, though. West Virginia is a pretty darn good ship, or so I hear. Good pen, good overmatch... she has two things most BBs only get one of at that tier.

3: If memory serves, she's actually performing well overall. Giving a ship an HE focus, improved accuracy and long range guns will do wonders for one's survival and averages. That said, I understand why she's reviled.

[YAN]
Members
1,698 posts
8,085 battles
25 minutes ago, MutsuKaiNi said:

Okay let me address a few things

First off Musashi, yeah its good but you earned through fxp, when I'm saying premium, that means you spend actual money for it. In the same vain, Yoshino also doesn't count. Those two ships are actually decent, Musashi's issue I have it got the the typical IJN BB premo treatment, aka stock hull down tiered. Yoshino is what Azuma should have been from the start, and Azuma as is currently should just not exist. 

Ashitaka, is actually okay, especially after her buff, but its still the whole down tiered stock hull treatment which the IJN constantly gets saddled with. 

Asashio, yeah a torp focused DD that can only torp two classes, two of those being the multitude of gun bote DDs and HE spamming cruisers are the things it can't torp. So you are more at mercy of rng then even the other T8s.

Kii.... Kii makes me mad, the half-assed refit, its a 20's hull with mid to late 40's AA on. Seriously look at Amagi's refit, you just had to do something similar for Kii and it could have been really good. 

Azuma, yeah no need to beat a dead horse, we know why its bad but they won't fix it. 

I'm almost certain someone high up in weegee is a baguetteaboo, its kinda of absurd how many good ships they get for a nation who's navy did less then Italy's. 

So basically.

Your complaint is that lack of good IJN premiums.
Because you refuse to acknowledge the good IJN premiums.

Sounds about wows to me.

[RKN]
Members
319 posts
10,675 battles
3 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

So basically.

Your complaint is that lack of good IJN premiums.
Because you refuse to acknowledge the good IJN premiums.

Sounds about wows to me.

and what are these good IJN premos I'm missing? Fine lets address them, Musashi, Georgia can arguably considered better, better cit, faster, and stupid secondaries. Yoshino, yeah Stalin is way better in virtually every way. 

See even the good IJN premos, get out classed by someone else, the IJN is never the best in anything. 

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,855 posts
6 minutes ago, MutsuKaiNi said:

and what are these good IJN premos I'm missing? Fine lets address them, Musashi, Georgia can arguably considered better, better cit, faster, and stupid secondaries. Yoshino, yeah Stalin is way better in virtually every way. 

See even the good IJN premos, get out classed by someone else, the IJN is never the best in anything. 

Kaga is a great premium but you said no CVs.

Musahi is a great premium but you said it doesn't count because it's FXP.

Yoshino is a great premium but you said it doesn't count because it's FXP.

The rest of them you basically said "I just don't like them".

Kaga, Musashi and Asashio are some of my favorite premium ships.

I understand that everyone has different preferences but that doesn't mean that the ships are bad ships.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,015 posts
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

Yoshio, Kii, Asashio, and Ashitaka are all pretty solid these days. In the low tiers there's also the Zucchini and the Tachibana is pretty OP AF. I don't have a good feeling for how good or bad Yukikaze or Yubari are since there just aren't many of them out there. If you ask me it's just that there haven't been any recent IJN premiums in general. Yahagi, sure, but Yuki and Yubari were long ago now. 

EDIT: I would say the only other real stinkers are all old: Mutsu, Katori, and ofc Mikasa.

HEY!!!  Don't you talk smack about my Katori!   That's a fun little boat, lol.

I enjoy the heck out of my Kii- that BB is a beast!   Ashy Taco is also a good 'un.    Yubari is just plain fun- just as long as you aren't of the "It's got torps?  Then I gotta use them as often as possible." persuasion.   (the arcs are anus, and WILL get you killed)

I think WG just gave IJN premiums a black eye by including so many downtiered stock hulls as premiums.   Not to mention the first IJN Large Cruiser (tm) - Azuma?  paling in comparison to it's contemporaries.