You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BattleBard149

Best Genova Captain Skills?

22 comments in this topic

[KREW]
Members
588 posts
13,494 battles

Ahoy Mates,

Wondering which captain skill would be best for Genova. I have, so far...

PT     (though PM is looking gr8 now, considering how often my steering/engine are getting knocked out)

AR    (though since virtually every game my steering/engine gets knocked out one or more times, I am seriously considering LS)

I don't have more yet, since just 5 point  captain, but thinking about TAE, faster torp reload, for level 3, though, again, BOS looking better because of how often those darn rudder and engines get knocked out. 

I assume CE would be best for level 4, as is normal for most cruisers.

Ideas anyone?

Fair Seas

Members
203 posts
2,898 battles

My 15 point captain couldn't turn this dog turd ship into anything useful. 

Wait until developers add a "scuttle" skill and drop all your points in that.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[SIM]
Members
4,738 posts
7,770 battles

1) Curiosity

2) Frustration

3) Devastating Strike

4) Buyer’s Remorse

• Funny 1

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
345 posts
21,800 battles

The usual CL stuff:

priority target, adrenaline, SI and concealment

SI is really because training for other ships.

Also thinking about switch spotter to fighters as it is not good for long range sniping.

Regarding all the negative comments, I was thinking that it seems to have a completely different role. I like my IJN cruisers that spam HE from long range, but this seems to be the exact opposite. It is more of an ambush alpha strike for smaller targets, primarily DDs but also other CLs. Although lacking smoke makes it harder to run away.

Still it really is the opposite role. Consider the torps that seem useless. Well if you manage to surprise a target around an island at short range they become very useful as you can spam multiple vectors and at short range their slow speed is not important.

Same for SAP, meh at long range but lethal at shorter ranges. Of course it is fragile ships, so at short range it is tough ...

Also disappointing that my existing cruisers Ducca and Abrizzi are the IJN style HE spammers, different style so kinda awkward. I will have to respec captain once I move it onto regular italian cruiser.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,881 posts
16,232 battles

Oh man...the Genova is laughably bad. 

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles
3 hours ago, legozer said:

Oh man...the Genova is laughably bad. 

Could you be more specific please. Most CC's seem to dislike it, apart from Notser. I like cruisers especially, however I prefer to wait a while before opening up my wallet nowadays.

Members
2,914 posts
5,646 battles
3 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

Could you be more specific please. Most CC's seem to dislike it, apart from Notser. I like cruisers especially, however I prefer to wait a while before opening up my wallet nowadays.

It is extremely squishy. Its guns are powerful but extremely low DPM. You can slap DDs hard with them, but unless you get lucky and land the entire volley for all penetrations, you're unlikely to get a kill (or survive for a second volley, since your range and concealment are also middling to low and your reload is basically the worst).

Your torpedoes have great fire angles, but you can't stealth torp and you only have double-tube racks, so it's hard to use them for area denial, and the torpedoes are so slow they're difficult to use meaningfully for alpha strikes, too. Even when you do land a good torpedo spread, because of how slow they are, the odds are you took a lot of fire while your torpedoes were moseying on toward their target. 

Secondaries have good DPM but caliber is too low to be helpful. 

You can't really kite, because although you have speed that's a bit on the higher side, your rudder shift is awful, and any maneuvering will bleed your speed advantage, and even if it didn't, your low range again means that any kiting you do is still within range of almost any of your targets.

She does just OK when at Tier V, but is horribly outclassed at Tier VI or VII.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,881 posts
16,232 battles
7 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

It does NOTHING well, and A LOT of things really, terribly, astonishingly poorly.

Compare it to another T5 heavy cruiser, Kirov.

Kirov starts fires. Geno does not. At all.

Kirov has range. Geno has ok range.

Kirov can kite. Geno cannot kite. At all. It's a brick.

Kirov has BASE reload time of 13.x seconds (13.5?). Geno reloads in...TWENTY SECONDS???? lol please. Garbage.

Kirov turrets rotate a full 3 seconds faster. And it is considered slow. So, there's that....

Shell velocity is very close. The have similar arcs.

Geno can hit harder, I guess? 

And the torps are a complete joke. You would have better luck throwing an IED on Michael Phelps and have him swim 7kms to hit a target.

Geno has better base concealment, but, man, it just looks even worse compared to Furutaka.

Geno is a really bad ship. It has no redeeming qualities compared to tech tree ships of the same tier. It struggles mightily to do damage and survive when bottom tier.

This ship is a dud. Possibly the worst overall premium ship, and certainly the worst tier 5 cruiser.

• Cool 4

[CVA16]
Members
5,145 posts
15,364 battles
41 minutes ago, legozer said:

This ship is a dud. Possibly the worst overall premium ship, and certainly the worst tier 5 cruiser.

I realize it is way to early to consider stats stabilized, but the ship is doing pretty well in somebodies hands at the moment. Ship stats have it leading the T5 pack with a WR of 57% and the most avg damage dealt. To be fair (when I checked) there were only 172 games in the ship.

Of course another new release Yahagi is right behind it and it has a pretty bad rep too. Only 2110 games in it.

Wonder if the only people still playing either of these are the unicums that can make any turd ship work vs the unwashed masses. Everyone else give up after a few games.

Huanghe was another heavily panned ship and it started off pretty good and still holds an upper middle-of-the-pack ranking. Its Tier-mate, Trento, has a huge hole to climb out of at the moment but it looks live very few are playing that boat. It has come up a bit to a 35% WR (think it was at 20% yesterday).

• Boring 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,881 posts
16,232 battles
3 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

here were only 172 games in the ship.

This is not enough to judge by. 

Also, just because it's, objectively, a piece of floating garbage doesn't mean players can't/won't have good experiences in it. Over the long dureé, however, it will perform poorly in relation to its T5 counterparts.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,881 posts
16,232 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Huanghe was another heavily panned ship

Huanghe has redeeming qualities. There are things it does well, and there are tools it has that can be exploited by savvy players. The same cannot be said about Geno.

[CVA16]
Members
5,145 posts
15,364 battles
2 hours ago, legozer said:

This is not enough to judge by. 

I agree. With such low gamecounts individual players can have a huge effect on WR. On the same note, I assume the Trento isn't THAT bad.

Think I heard long ago that a you would get about a 40% WR if you were AFK every match (not sure what jerk/botter tested that out) so Trento has to be on the way up.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25,851 posts
22,679 battles
47 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I agree. With such low gamecounts individual players can have a huge effect on WR. On the same note, I assume the Trento isn't THAT bad.

Think I heard long ago that a you would get about a 40% WR if you were AFK every match (not sure what jerk/botter tested that out) so Trento has to be on the way up.

I think the stats for ITA Cruisers are going to be goofy for a good while.  Shell selection, Shot placement for a given situation is going to throw people off for a while.  In typical Cruiser play, it's HE most of the time unless you're a CA and see a broadside.  SAP isn't like that because it's great for certain situations and horrible for others.  For one, you're not getting many SAP Citadels, even against mid-tier Cruisers that have awful armor, because of 54mm SAP Pen at best, and lots of mid-tier Cruisers have 70mm+ belt armor.  That armor increases as you climb the tiers.

The big thing is shot placement.  With normal Cruiser play, you can afford to be sloppy.  Doesn't matter if you hit the bow, deck, stern of a BB, you got a chance to set a fire.  SAP, you don't have that luxury, and there's lots of sections on certain ships that you got no chance of Penning.  Hell, you'll bounce SAP shells also.

ITA Cruisers demand good shot placement and right shell selection if you want good performance.  SAP "all day, 'errday" isn't going to work out.  Matter of fact, you do that, there will be a lot of opportunities of punishing someone that you'll pass up because of using SAP only.  SAP will not get you the Citadel hits with 100% shell damage the same way AP does.  Hell dude, you can take any of the 203mm armed ITA CAs right now, get free shots at the broadside of a Omaha or Emerald with SAP shells, and get no Citadels... Because the belt armor is too thick.

The only other Cruiser Line that needs special attention to shot placement are RN CLs.  Everyone else can afford to get sloppy in shot placement because of HE.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
155 posts
3,944 battles
On 10/18/2019 at 7:40 PM, Sabot_100 said:

I realize it is way to early to consider stats stabilized, but the ship is doing pretty well in somebodies hands at the moment. Ship stats have it leading the T5 pack with a WR of 57% and the most avg damage dealt. To be fair (when I checked) there were only 172 games in the ship.

Of course another new release Yahagi is right behind it and it has a pretty bad rep too. Only 2110 games in it.

Wonder if the only people still playing either of these are the unicums that can make any turd ship work vs the unwashed masses. Everyone else give up after a few games.

Huanghe was another heavily panned ship and it started off pretty good and still holds an upper middle-of-the-pack ranking. Its Tier-mate, Trento, has a huge hole to climb out of at the moment but it looks live very few are playing that boat. It has come up a bit to a 35% WR (think it was at 20% yesterday).

I think Huanghe is awesome tbf. But I'm only trying to climb out of baddiehood. She can be very good.

I feel something coming from Genova, but no she isn't particularly 'good' at anything. Nice to have a premium ship that's just "OK" for once, and still perfectly passable.

Long reload but high alpha strike, high speed but poor manoeuvrability. The only truly disappointing thing about her (to me, thus far) is the lack of consumables - no hydro, or smoke, or even a choice between hydro or smoke. Fighter to bolster meh-af AA or spotting plane to not hit things at long range.

As I don't own any other Italian ships, nor any of the new cruisers (and don't know what consumables they carry), I'm unsure about taking SI for a tier three skill. I know they get a unique smoke consumable from Tier 6 and up and that's it.

[BBMOD]
Members
344 posts
5,667 battles

I still only have a handful of games in her so far but Adrenalin Rush seems like a mandatory skill and probably the most important skill for this line given the very slow reload times.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4 posts
6,949 battles

You should capitalize on this Cruisers Captain skills to improve its deficiencies. for example, My 19 Pt Capt on ITALIAN Cruiser is as follows;

• Priority Target = you need to know if ships are targeting you so you can decide to dodge or smoke, 1 or 2 targeting maybe dodge, more than that smoke.
  • Expert Marksman = if you need to change Ammo types because of a broadside shot this will help speed things up, reload time is kinda slow.
  • Superintendent = Adds Charges to under-supplied consumables like the smoke generator, very nice
  • Concealment Expert = Obvious
  • Radio location = when opposing forces are not visible you can see if then are moving from the last know location laterally
  • Jack of all Trades = enhances your consumables recharge
  • Adrenaline Rush = Improves your slow reload if damaged
  • Expert Loader = Helps your slow Turret Turn - Useful

And of course there are "How to Play" Italian Crusiers videos on YouTube that are quite useful.

This ship is just a different play style, not real good at it yet but it is growing on me.

Always remember to vary your speed and NEVER NEVER Broadside.  you will die.

I hope this helps

Brother_Tim - in game

[WNSTN]
Members
63 posts
4,087 battles
2 hours ago, Brother_Tim said:

You should capitalize on this Cruisers Captain skills to improve its deficiencies. for example, My 19 Pt Capt on ITALIAN Cruiser is as follows;

• Priority Target = you need to know if ships are targeting you so you can decide to dodge or smoke, 1 or 2 targeting maybe dodge, more than that smoke.
  • Expert Marksman = if you need to change Ammo types because of a broadside shot this will help speed things up, reload time is kinda slow.
  • Superintendent = Adds Charges to under-supplied consumables like the smoke generator, very nice
  • Concealment Expert = Obvious
  • Radio location = when opposing forces are not visible you can see if then are moving from the last know location laterally
  • Jack of all Trades = enhances your consumables recharge
  • Adrenaline Rush = Improves your slow reload if damaged
  • Expert Loader = Helps your slow Turret Turn - Useful

And of course there are "How to Play" Italian Crusiers videos on YouTube that are quite useful.

This ship is just a different play style, not real good at it yet but it is growing on me.

Always remember to vary your speed and NEVER NEVER Broadside.  you will die.

I hope this helps

Brother_Tim - in game

No biggy but you just confused Expert Marksman (is faster turret rotation) and Expert Loader (is faster switching of ammo types):Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
939 posts
18,604 battles
On 10/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, _Heebie_Jeebies_ said:

My 15 point captain couldn't turn this dog turd ship into anything useful. 

Wait until developers add a "scuttle" skill and drop all your points in that.

I used my 19-point  Captain and could not get this Turd to perform.  Basically it's a POS.  Someone in WG was drunk when they created it.

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,749 battles
On 10/18/2019 at 4:30 AM, _Rumple_ said:

The Genova has nothing about it that is premium, no tricks, no gimmicks, nothing. Its tech tree counterpart at least has a smoke consumable. The Genova is very squishy as others have said, and it offers absolutely nothing unique. Her torps are as slow as her main battery reload times. She does look pretty in port though. I want a captain skill that can give me my $17.20 back.