You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Frigate007

Winning?

7 comments in this topic

[GOBI]
Members
526 posts
1,618 battles

Seems to be some confusion in random on how to win. Ie caps or points? Do points trump all always? What if u have 3 of 4 caps but down on points? Or all caps on map? I see a couple of battles each day that should have been wins but one player does the wrong thing and hands the victory to enemy team. One game we had 2 of 3 caps, ahead by 10 points. No danger of cap turnover. I'm in chat telling a team  mate to run and just stay alive. Get a negative and he turns towards enemy, closes, get deleted and we lose by 80. Sometimes I get confused also on the best plan of action to secure a win in a close match near the end.

[CK5]
Members
1,123 posts
10,266 battles

What wins is tactical sense and map awareness - skills not often seen these days.   

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,878 posts
11,159 battles

It is situational. Sometimes holding caps will win. Sometimes there is not enough time and you have to have kills. Sometimes both.

[SALVO]
Members
22,374 posts
22,802 battles
38 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Seems to be some confusion in random on how to win. Ie caps or points? Do points trump all always? What if u have 3 of 4 caps but down on points? Or all caps on map? I see a couple of battles each day that should have been wins but one player does the wrong thing and hands the victory to enemy team. One game we had 2 of 3 caps, ahead by 10 points. No danger of cap turnover. I'm in chat telling a team  mate to run and just stay alive. Get a negative and he turns towards enemy, closes, get deleted and we lose by 80. Sometimes I get confused also on the best plan of action to secure a win in a close match near the end.

In domination, possession of the caps by itself means nothing.  Possession of the caps is important because your team gains victory points so long as you own them and no enemy ship is contesting them (i.e. no enemy ship is on a cap your team owns).  

If you had a battle where your team owned 2 out of 3 caps and no immediate danger of losing either of those caps, and it's a close battle and time is running out, your team should absolutely run away.  Particularly any friendly ship that's low on health.

Actual possession of a cap is only really important in Standard mode, where if you can capture the enemy's base, your team instantly wins.  However, in Standard mode (and other modes too), there are some tricks relating to victory points.  Say that you're in a battle where the two teams' victory point totals are nearly equal and you're running out of time.  It can come down to which team gains the last points before the clock runs out.  The trick here is that you can jump onto a cap controlled by the enemy (particularly if you can do it unseen) and stop that cap from gaining points.    Of course, you'd want to stay on the cap as long as possible to prevent them from gaining points from said cap as long as possible.  But if you see an enemy ship heading your way, it's better to leave the cap and run away, rather than try to fight it out and possibly lose your ship's victory points to the enemy.  In a super close battle, even blocking that cap from gaining points for a cycle or 2 of point gains can be the difference between winning and losing.

[GOBI]
Members
526 posts
1,618 battles

Thanks for the constructive reply. Was a bit confused by what I see once in a while, you have clarified it.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,836 posts
18,456 battles
1 hour ago, Frigate007 said:

Do points trump all always?

In a way yes they do. When one's team is ahead on points by a good margin but such that a ship loss would put the team behind it is foolish to press the attack and take the chance of losing a ship. The proper thing to do would be to defend what you have and not pursue one last kill into a trap. A single good player in a wounded ship can defeat a few scattered foes 1 at a time. 

[HINON]
Members
11,619 posts

There is a wonderful mod that shows you how much time till your team or the enemy team will reach 1000 points based on the current rate of gain.