You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

So what will the basic Capt Skills be for the new Italian Cruisers?

40 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
11,533 posts
22,535 battles

The new Italian Tech Tree Cruisers are here starting tomorrow (well early access mission drops anyway). I have been wanting to post this for a while now and kept forgetting. :Smile_facepalm::Smile_veryhappy:

Obviously builds for d'Aosta and Abruzzi won't be ideal for the tech tree ships as they don't have HE. So things like DE and IFHE are not needed. Honestly I don't really see a lot of ideal skills for them. I am thinking that these few skills would be considered mandatory on them or at least good picks...

• EL - with all of them having such long reloads this seems like almost a must have if you ever plan to swap ammo types once it is already loaded.
  • EM - another must have it seems. The turrets aren't horrendously slow but they aren't super fast either. Seems like a no brainer to me?
  • AR - without a lot of high point mandatory picks this seems a good choice to help with that ridiculous reload they all suffer with.
  • SI - extra charges of smoke, heal, etc... always good.
  • CE - they all seem to have pretty bad concealment so this seems a must have too.

So with those skills picked you have 12 pts. What to do with the last 7???

• Torpedo Upgrades: T5+ the range for the torps runs from 10km to 13.5km. Reloads are reasonable most tiers (T8/T9 seem the exception with long reloads). So would TA + TAE be a good choice? A loss of some range but faster reloading torps, that are faster, in the process? T9/T10 could even further reduce reload by selecting TTM3 in Slot 6. The issue is few torps and low damage.
  • AA Upgrades: T5-T7 the AA is pretty average for non US Cruisers but T8+ it seems somewhat decent. Is investing in some AA skills worth it? Maybe 3 pts for BFT for the +10% continuous damage at all ranges is worth it. (I don't think AFT is worth it for these ships)
  • Tank Builds: Can a Cruiser be built to tank? LOL. Are any of the usual suspects for that like BOS, FP, HA, JOAT worth it?
  • Smoke Screen: What about SSE for them adding a bigger moving cloud of smoke to run and gun in?

I have a 14 pt Capt right now I use on d'Aosta and Abruzzi but will have to start over on it (reset skills), have some 10pt'ers in reserves to use up, and then there is the special Capt coming next patch I will definitely get. The builds will be different than most Cruisers. So how will you all build your Capt's or are you as unsure as me? LOL.

Just curious...

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,056 posts
7,970 battles

My build on them during testing, although obligatory WiP and stuff might change remark, was:

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Expert Marksman

Jack of all Trades

Vigilance

Preventive Maintenance

Expert Loader

In that order.

As for modules, fairly standard. Main Armaments, Steering Gears, Aiming Systems, Propulsion, Concealment, Reload

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,533 posts
22,535 battles
Just now, SireneRacker said:

My build on them during testing, although obligatory WiP and stuff might change remark, was:

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Expert Marksman

Jack of all Trades

Vigilance

Preventive Maintenance

Expert Loader

In that order.

As for modules, fairly standard. Main Armaments, Steering Gears, Aiming Systems, Propulsion, Concealment, Reload

:Smile_honoring:

[X-PN]
[X-PN]
Members
9,144 posts
10,751 battles
8 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Expert Marksman

Jack of all Trades

Vigilance

Preventive Maintenance

Expert Loader

In that order.

This. I'd already decided this would be my build for them, whenever I get around to playing them, with the exception that I will take SE over Vig, and LS over JoaT.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,810 posts
14,740 battles

The detection of turret boom inside smoke is large and little HP with no armour + very short period of "creeping smoke", SI is not really beneficial. So it debating between SI or SE

PT, AR, SE or SI, CE for first 10 pts

then from here depend on how you want to build the capt toward your own playing style and how long can the ship last in the battle to get the most dmg and award

[TOG]
Members
4,086 posts
22,857 battles
27 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Expert Marksman

Jack of all Trades

Vigilance

Preventive Maintenance

Expert Loader

In that order.

smoke gen mod? becauze I can see a need to extend the smoke generation time. you're not going to care about how long it lasts.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,056 posts
7,970 battles
5 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

smoke gen mod? becauze I can see a need to extend the smoke generation time. you're not going to care about how long it lasts.

From what I recall it didn‘t work on them, as it was not called Smoke Generator but had another name.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,756 posts
14,009 battles

Expert Loader is only useful when switching ammunition type when the guns are already loaded so I would take Priority Target instead.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,100 posts
4,678 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Smoke Screen: What about SSE for them adding a bigger moving cloud of smoke to run and gun in?

Actually the opposite holds true. Since the cloud moves with you, there is pretty much zero tactical reason to spend captain points to make it larger. 

Instead, I suggest taking IFHE, DE, and Manual secobdaries if you plan on being on the red team:Smile_trollface:

[SALVO]
Members
24,261 posts
24,567 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Expert Loader is only useful when switching ammunition type when the ALL guns are already loaded so I would take Priority Target instead.

FTFY.

This is a huge reason why I find this skill to be less than useful.

[SALVO]
Members
24,261 posts
24,567 battles
Just now, _BBaby said:

Actually the opposite holds true. Since the cloud moves with you, there is pretty much zero tactical reason to spend captain points to make it larger. 

Instead, I suggest taking IFHE, DE, and Manual secobdaries if you plan on being on the red team:Smile_trollface:

I think that the thinking about making the smoke cloud larger would be so that perhaps a team mate could run with you in that moving smoke.  It's an interesting idea in theory, but I don't know how useful it'd be in practice.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,756 posts
14,009 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

FTFY.

This is a huge reason why I find this skill to be less than useful.

All was implied and that fully loaded requirement is a game breaker for me too.

[RED]
[RED]
Members
313 posts
12,848 battles

Is the smoke generator special upgrade compatible with the Italian Cruisers Smoke?

[UFFA]
Members
2,068 posts
75 battles
1 hour ago, custer_14 said:

Is the smoke generator special upgrade compatible with the Italian Cruisers Smoke?

Not the last I heard. 

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,948 posts
13,592 battles

I would think of Smoke SE for one reason...the extended radius of the smoke makes it less likely that someone hits you while firing blindly at you.  I put this on the Perth and it helps ...any thing to throw off hit possibilities in a CA is worth it.  The Italian smoke is moving smoke too and you can bet folks will try and hit you while your in it...

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25,851 posts
22,679 battles

I didn't follow too hard any news on the ITA Cruisers until maybe 1.5 weeks ago.  A quick look even then made it apparent what these things will need, because they aren't your typical Cruisers that profit off DE, IFHE.

Core 10 pts:

PT (or PM if that's your thing)

AR

SI - Critical because Smoke Generator II only provides 2 total charges.  This may be enough for Co-op but for anything that lasts longer than a fart, that is NOT enough charges.

CE

Honestly?  If you threw in your Caesar or Roma Captain on them, you're fine.  IFHE, DE is useless on them.  Their AA is nothing to worth bragging about.  That's all fine, as it simply makes it easy to focus on what the ITA Cruisers need without being puled in many different directions.

The rest toward 19pts?  Add in:

PT or PM (which ever you skipped before)

JoaT & EM

FP

That's what I'd do for the typical Tech Tree ITA Cruiser.  The builds have more in common with Battleships than they do most other Cruisers in the game.  Because the ITA Cruisers don't have that many "extra needs" like other Cruiser Lines do, 10pt captain is perfect for each of them.  Compare that to normal CLs, you need 14pts at the bare minimum.

- I skipped out on Vigilance because ITA Cruisers have very bad concealment so they tend to be standing off to begin with.  Their poor amount of torpedoes yet long ranges also give even less reason to be hanging around in ranges where torpedoes are a real threat.

- I entertained a build in my head involving TAE for skirmishing at range chucking torpedoes because of their long range and quick reload.  Play like a Myoko, basically.  But that's probably not inline for what many people play like around here.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,261 posts
24,567 battles
On 10/16/2019 at 10:38 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I didn't follow too hard any news on the ITA Cruisers until maybe 1.5 weeks ago.  A quick look even then made it apparent what these things will need, because they aren't your typical Cruisers that profit off DE, IFHE.

Core 10 pts:

PT (or PM if that's your thing)

AR

SI - Critical because Smoke Generator II only provides 2 total charges.  This may be enough for Co-op but for anything that lasts longer than a fart, that is NOT enough charges.

CE

Honestly?  If you threw in your Caesar or Roma Captain on them, you're fine.  IFHE, DE is useless on them.  Their AA is nothing to worth bragging about.  That's all fine, as it simply makes it easy to focus on what the ITA Cruisers need without being puled in many different directions.

The rest toward 19pts?  Add in:

PT or PM (which ever you skipped before)

JoaT & EM

FP

That's what I'd do for the typical Tech Tree ITA Cruiser.  The builds have more in common with Battleships than they do most other Cruisers in the game.  Because the ITA Cruisers don't have that many "extra needs" like other Cruiser Lines do, 10pt captain is perfect for each of them.  Compare that to normal CLs, you need 14pts at the bare minimum.

- I skipped out on Vigilance because ITA Cruisers have very bad concealment so they tend to be standing off to begin with.  Their poor amount of torpedoes yet long ranges also give even less reason to be hanging around in ranges where torpedoes are a real threat.

- I entertained a build in my head involving TAE for skirmishing at range chucking torpedoes because of their long range and quick reload.  Play like a Myoko, basically.  But that's probably not inline for what many people play like around here.

Honestly, this is one of the things that's a tad annoying about the RM CA's, the fact that IFHE and DE are useless on them but feel very important for the RM CLs.  Pretty much makes any RM CL captain sort of crappy on an RM CA.  Oh well.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25,851 posts
22,679 battles
16 hours ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, this is one of the things that's a tad annoying about the RM CA's, the fact that IFHE and DE are useless on them but feel very important for the RM CLs.  Pretty much makes any RM CL captain sort of crappy on an RM CA.  Oh well.

There's other cases of that in the game.

Like, no tech tree USN BB is a decent Secondary Build candidate.  So Massachusetts, Georgia require different builds altogether that will not mesh at all with the tech tree USN BBs.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,179 posts

From playing the tier 5 and 7 ships, the most important captain skill is the backstroke. You will be using it a lot. The Rainman Cuckoldme has officially displaced the Emerald as the biggest POS at tier 5.

[SALVO]
Members
24,261 posts
24,567 battles
13 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There's other cases of that in the game.

Like, no tech tree USN BB is a decent Secondary Build candidate.  So Massachusetts, Georgia require different builds altogether that will not mesh at all with the tech tree USN BBs.

Oh, of course, Haze.  The only difference is that in this case, it's in reverse.  That is, in the case of the Mass and Georgia, they came after the "normal" USN BBs had been around for a long time.  As for Italian cruisers, the premium CL's have been around for a while before these new CA's showed up.  Regardless, the effect is the same in the final result.

[WPORT]
Members
4,395 posts
9,411 battles

The Italian ships that I've gotten so far, dropped from containers.
As issued, they have a 3-point Captain and a port slot.

I use the Captain's Skill points for "Preventive Maintenance" and "Last Stand".
If I gain additional points, I'll apply them to help the ship(s) in the following areas,
Torpedo Armament Expertise, Superintendent, Basics of Survivability, Survivability Expert, Fire Prevention, and anything else I've got the points for.
Since it takes a while to go from 3 skill points to 14 skill points or more, only the most important skills will be learned first.

I'm looking forward to Italian Commanders becoming available in the Armory.

[UTWE]
Members
354 posts
5,605 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The Italian ships that I've gotten so far, dropped from containers.
As issued, they have a 3-point Captain and a port slot.

I use the Captain's Skill points for "Preventive Maintenance" and "Last Stand".
If I gain additional points, I'll apply them to help the ship(s) in the following areas,
Torpedo Armament Expertise, Superintendent, Basics of Survivability, Survivability Expert, Fire Prevention, and anything else I've got the points for.
Since it takes a while to go from 3 skill points to 14 skill points or more, only the most important skills will be learned first.

I'm looking forward to Italian Commanders becoming available in the Armory.

Why would you take TAE?? Italian torps reload super fast already and they're not good enough to warrant a torp build. All your other skills seem to be contributing to a tank build when Italian Cruisers are the least tanky ships in the entire game, even less than RN or French Cruisers. You should be taking skills that increase your stealth like SI for the extra smoke and CE for the concealment. I mean if this build works for you, good on you, but it seems very strange.

[WPORT]
Members
4,395 posts
9,411 battles
1 hour ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

Why would you take TAE?? Italian torps reload super fast already and they're not good enough to warrant a torp build. All your other skills seem to be contributing to a tank build when Italian Cruisers are the least tanky ships in the entire game, even less than RN or French Cruisers. You should be taking skills that increase your stealth like SI for the extra smoke and CE for the concealment. I mean if this build works for you, good on you, but it seems very strange.

I don't play from mid to long range very much with these ships.  I tend to drive them like a rented jumbo-sized destroyer.  So mid to close range tactics apply.
Therefore, having the biggest "punch" (the torpedoes) reload faster is important.

They're fast, and I tend to augment their maneuverability by installing the steering gear upgrade to reduce the rudder shift time.

While concealment expert and improved smokescreens are nice, they're suited to long-range engagements.
Even so, smokescreens and other consumables benefit from the Superintendent skill.
Also, islands are "cover" while smokescreens are merely "concealment". 
And with CV's spotting along with opposing DD's, concealment is sometimes difficult to maintain.
So, plan accordingly.  :-)

Last Stand skill means the ship can still move and steer (albeit with a penalty) even if engine or steering is incapacitated.  This is useful from whatever range one's ship may be hit from.

Your constructive perspective is welcome.  I appreciate the point of view and learning via exchange of knowledge and experiences.  :-)