You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_fJ5jZwDPAeBL

New Operations & Campaigns

31 comments in this topic

Members
81 posts

I guess I'm a fairly new player if you put it in context. I've got 5 stars on all but one operation and I'm cleaning up the Campaigns (although I've got end rewards everything).

Speaking to older players seems like these operations and campaigns haven't been added too or expanded for a long time.

I know Wargaming must be busy with other stuff but I feel adding content to these two areas would be beneficial for both new and more veteran players. We could organize this as a community project?

I'd be willing to sit down (for free) and write the framework for new operations (maybe we can do some historical stuff?) and campaigns (maybe we offer something extremely challenging for vets?).

Is there someone from the Super testers or CC's who'd like to put this proposal to WG?

Edited by anonym_fJ5jZwDPAeBL
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,301 posts
21,479 battles

WG has said it has no interest in creating new campaigns or Operations, and it had nothing to do with staffing.

[PVE]
Members
20,171 posts
13,061 battles
17 minutes ago, PurpleAki said:

I guess I'm a fairly new player if you put it in context. I've got 5 stars on all but one operation and I'm cleaning up the Campaigns (although I've got end rewards everything).

Speaking to older players seems like these operations and campaigns haven't been added too or expanded for a long time.

I know Wargaming must be busy with other stuff but I feel adding content to these two areas would be beneficial for both new and more veteran players. We could organize this as a community project?

I'd be willing to sit down (for free) and write the framework for new operations (maybe we can do some historical stuff?) and campaigns (maybe we offer something extremely challenging for vets?).

Is there someone from the Super testers or CC's who'd like to put this proposal to WG?

The last Campaign added was Halsey which was in 2017 IIRC. Not sure when another will be added.

There are many operations that were removed when the CV rework was done in Jan 2019, because they were plane heavy. Not sure on the timetable to have any added back.

Feel free to post any ideas you have for operations as people here love to discuss stuff. With enough interest and a workable idea, the WG Mods are likely to pass on the idea to the Devs. Unfortunately, the Devs plan months in advance, as coding, testing, etc take time, so it might take awhile for something to be done.

Just now, FrodoFraggin said:

WG has said it has no interest in creating new campaigns or Operations, and it had nothing to do with staffing.

Do you have a link for that statement?

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
9,236 posts
12,696 battles

The only things WG are interested in are things that will immediately cause players to spend real money. OPS and campaigns won't do this, so, WG has less than 0 interest in them, despite the fact that many, many players have asked for them.

[EQRN]
Members
2,301 posts
21,479 battles
19 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Sub-Oct on the anniversary steam and Reddit Q&A.  Sorry I do not have links to those.

[USN]
Members
1,753 posts
22,015 battles
38 minutes ago, PurpleAki said:

They removed 5 operations due to the CV Rework, and of those, only Raptor Rescue has returned. As for campaigns, I'm expecting a temporary Christmas campaign that will give us perma camos for select T6 ships (guessing Izmail, Furious, Trento, Guepard, and Aoba)

21 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Sub Octavian said in a recent Reddit Q&A that they were not spending their resources on bringing back those operations.

[PVE]
Members
11,204 posts
19,830 battles

Too many people like the Campaigns and since WG wants people to play random battles, they don't want to create what the public really wants. WG wants to create what they want you to want.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
40,285 battles
19 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Too many people like the Campaigns and since WG wants people to play random battles, they don't want to create what the public really wants. WG wants to create what they want you to want.

Sad. I miss the old Narai with multiple start areas, and the missing operations. We should have had 10-15 more operations by now. But instead we got that idiotic CV ReBork that harmed the game in so many ways.

Like pushing out operations and campaigns.

• Boring 2

[O_O]
Members
674 posts

WG isn't bringing back removed operations, they are too lucrative which goes against WG's scheme.  Be thankful that we have any at this point.  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles

The last Operation that was added to the game was 2017.  Now even THAT Operation, which was Dynamo, is no longer in the game.  That shows what WG really thinks about it.  WG even went out and flat out said they're just stopping work on them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
20,171 posts
13,061 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Sub-Oct on the anniversary steam and Reddit Q&A.  Sorry I do not have links to those.

59 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Sub Octavian said in a recent Reddit Q&A that they were not spending their resources on bringing back those operations.

Ah, sadness

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
836 posts
7,444 battles

At the Anchors Away event on Alabama yesterday, Femennenly discussed that WG  is looking into either some new operations or reworking some of the older one to put them into the rotation (like they did with Raptor Rescue). Along with that she also mentioned that if they develop new ops, they are looking to expand them into tiers other than just 6 and 7. 

• Cool 3

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
28,089 battles

Some operations allowed players to farm easy credits and freeXP.

WG try to remove freeXP from the game (and also credits by removing the Missouri) becauseit's bad if player have too much of it (and maybe not use gold to exchange them)

WG stops investing in a thing many player like/want ot have back/want to have more.

Campaigns were also good. They offered a incentive to play different ships/tiers. And I count also stuff like the Kamikaze R one. 

WG rather spend their time to add new battle modes for events, rework CV (number of CV players at mid/high tier is as low as before the rework), drive new players away by adding more then two CV per low tier battles, or adding subs, which will not solve any of the actual problems like BB camping, low number of DD (because spotting and capping isn't very rewarding), island hugging HE spammers etc.

• Cool 1

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
28,089 battles
6 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

At the Anchors Away event on Alabama yesterday, Femennenly discussed that WG  is looking into either some new operations or reworking some of the older one to put them into the rotation (like they did with Raptor Rescue). Along with that she also mentioned that if they develop new ops, they are looking to expand them into tiers other than just 6 and 7. 

Which is the complete opposide of what Sub_Octavian said a few weeks ago.

• Cool 1

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,383 posts

Some of the missions in the campaigns need to be updated imo to match the changes from the rebork.

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,383 posts
18 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Take that with a grain of salt lol , they lie to the CCs and outside admins same as all the other players

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
26,738 posts
32,144 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

Some operations allowed players to farm easy credits and freeXP.

WG try to remove freeXP from the game (and also credits by removing the Missouri) becauseit's bad if player have too much of it (and maybe not use gold to exchange them)

WG stops investing in a thing many player like/want ot have back/want to have more.

Campaigns were also good. They offered a incentive to play different ships/tiers. And I count also stuff like the Kamikaze R one. 

WG rather spend their time to add new battle modes for events, rework CV (number of CV players at mid/high tier is as low as before the rework), drive new players away by adding more then two CV per low tier battles, or adding subs, which will not solve any of the actual problems like BB camping, low number of DD (because spotting and capping isn't very rewarding), island hugging HE spammers etc.

If they think that operations are too lucrative, then they can just scale back on the rewards for crying out loud.

As for having too many credits being a bad thing, IMO that's nonsense.  One of the things I hate most about  WoT is how difficult it is to earn credits.  I like how easy it is to earn credits on WoWS because it makes progressing up the tech trees less painful.

As for campaigns being too good, I don't see how that can be.

Camping

As for trying to make game play more dynamic (i.e. deal with camping), there are things they could have done or could do, but have avoided.

1. Fix the auto-bounce silliness on bow (and more rarely, stern) hits.  Force BBs to angle their bows so that they're angling their forward bulkhead armor, i.e. the thick internal armor that protects the citadel from hits through the bow.  (And the stern bulkhead for the stern, of course.)  Some complained that this would hurt people trying to push.  Nonsense.  Just approach at an angle rather than completely bow on, to angle that forward bulkhead.  It's just armor angling, same as you'd do for angling your broadside armor.  Doing this would reduce the value of static bow tanking, though it might just cause bow tankers to just park at mild angles.

2. Maybe introduce some sort of accuracy bonus vs ships that are either sitting still or moving too slowly, let's say 1/4 speed or less.  This would make static or nearly static targets more vulnerable to incoming gunfire.  In game terms, it'd probably be the opposite of a dispersion penalty.  For what it's worth, this accuracy bonus could also be applied to rocket and dive bomber attacks, since static targets really should be easier to hit than ones moving at a decent speed.

Now, in theory, I suppose one could argue that unmoving ships make for more stable gun platforms and their gunner should be more accurate.  However, I'm concerned that this could end up leading to more static ships and game play, rather than less.  

Island hugging HE spamming

I don't really see how this one gets solved, beyond making all islands look like those mesas on the Haven map, which, IMO, are pretty ugly.  And it doesn't exactly help that they've added in a few such CL's into the game in recent months (i.e. the Bayard, the Smolensk, and the Colbert).  And this doesn't account for the DDs that do roughly the same thing, like the IJN gunboats.

The only really aggressive way I can see to deal with this problem would be to require every ship to self spot their targets.  This would prevent shooting from behind islands or from inside or behind smoke, etc.  But this idea is probably too aggressive for the player base.

Low number of DDs

I have no ideas on how to get more people into destroyers.  I think that too many players just don't have the right mindset to play DDs well.  Too many players unwilling to face a challenge and find ways to succeed in the face of difficulties, and who are too quick to just come to the forum to complain instead.

CV Rework player numbers

I think that the number of players has gone down since the devs overtuned AA to the point that it's extremely difficult to even do your own HP in damage in a carrier, particularly when you're bottom tier.  I don't mind the challenge of being bottom tier as a general rule.  But when playing a CV it does sort of wear you down when your planes get swatted from the sky so freaking easily and there seems to be nothing you can do to counter it.  Sure, you can go after solo ships.  OTOH, some ships, even when caught alone, can still blap your planes from the sky with little effort.  I remember some Lexington who caught my Montana alone (my team mates in the area got sunk and I was left alone trying to run back to my team).  I was knocking the Lexington's planes out of the sky with ease, killing somewhere around 80-85 planes, before he eventually got me.  But we still won because that CV player cared more about going after me than the more vulnerable ships on my team.  So, my point here is that not all solo ships are easy marks.

Anyways, if they wanted to get the CV player numbers up, I think that the solution would be to tone down the strength of AA.

I could add more thoughts, but that's enough for now.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,887 posts
725 battles
2 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

"There will never be submarines in the game."

• Funny 1

Banned
1,684 posts

When WG decides a path to follow they place the road builders on task. 

The roads WG has built go nowhere, but to extreme confusion.

It is like following one of those silly childs maze's to the bowl of Froot Loops.

[WOLFH]
Members
375 posts
24,768 battles
10 hours ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

10 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

reddit link to the Readers Digest of that Q&A

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/d19s19/readers_digest_wows_live_qa_23/

Q: Any word on when other PvE Operations will return? Such as Ultimate Frontier, Hermes, Dynamo, and Cherry Blossom?

A: PvE Operations works are back logged for now, because we're concentrating our efforts on PvP modes development this year. I am sorry if it disappointed you, but in some aspect of the game, we cannot spread our resources too thin.

Now, "looking at" =/= assigning working hours re-working/re-coding Operations.  They can do up plans for reworking old Operations and/or making new ones, just not work on making them :Smile-_tongue:

I'll also point out that "this year" only goes for another two month and a half :cap_wander:

Not that I expect any new/reborn Operations anytime early next year.  Just that with the new PvP modes getting more polished/closer to release some of those working there may get some time to work on Operations.

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
12 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

The last Campaign added was Halsey which was in 2017 IIRC. Not sure when another will be added.

There are many operations that were removed when the CV rework was done in Jan 2019, because they were plane heavy. Not sure on the timetable to have any added back.

Feel free to post any ideas you have for operations as people here love to discuss stuff. With enough interest and a workable idea, the WG Mods are likely to pass on the idea to the Devs. Unfortunately, the Devs plan months in advance, as coding, testing, etc take time, so it might take awhile for something to be done.

Sub Octavian said it Kiz I saw it. No new Ops coming and they are unsure if any more Campaigns. Nothing planned or even being considered. This was many months back now.

Members
82 posts
5,806 battles
11 hours ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

I hope this becomes the case, as I only bother buying premiums I can use in operations. As long as they don't create more operations I don't intend to spend money. I'm not much of a customer to begin with mind, but it is sales they lose out on as long as they ignore the operations.

[EQRN]
Members
2,301 posts
21,479 battles
13 hours ago, ij70 said:

weegee might be moving to time limited campaigns. Like the pef campaign. 

Time limited campaigns are directives we see every patch.  The PEF “campaign” is one of the Christmas “campaigns” which are more of a hybrid directive/campaign with some features of each.  When most people talk of campaigns, they usually mean the permanent ones.

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles

It makes me sad.

I'm someone who has played a ton of PvP but still love playing operations. I wish there was a way to see how many you've played...