You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mcgibe

What's all the fuss about subs?

101 comments in this topic

[KENT]
Members
423 posts
8,189 battles

Exactly as the title says. Why are people so upset about subs? I've seen a lot of negativity about them, and I understand people don't want another CV rework fiasco, but from what I see, they seem pretty cool and easily counterable. Could I be wrong?

• Boring 6

[SSBN]
Members
165 posts
6,527 battles

People hate change, people hate things staying the same. No matter what they(or any dev of any game) does, there's going to be folks that complain.

Personally I can't wait for them. Playing them or playing vs them looks more and more fun with each test update.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[KENT]
Members
423 posts
8,189 battles
5 minutes ago, Sic_44 said:

People hate change, people hate things staying the same. No matter what they(or any dev of any game) does, there's going to be folks that complain.

Personally I can't wait for them. Playing them or playing vs them looks more and more fun with each test update.

Kind of what I was thinking. I can understand why people are worried, But this isn't something like the NTC. It does look pretty fun from what I've seen and heard

Edited by mcgibe

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

1) Because they are more like underwater DD's because of the submerged speed buff.

2) Only one ship type can attack them when they go below periscope depth.

• Cool 1

Members
48 posts
1,100 battles

Troll post, you wouldn't know there was a fuss if you didn't hear what the fuss was in the first place.

• Cool 2

[KENT]
Members
423 posts
8,189 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

1) Because they are more like underwater DD's because of the submerged speed buff.

2) Only one ship type can attack them when they go below periscope depth.

Understandable, but they're pretty far away and they'll get they're own gamemode when they go live. Not saying that you can't give feedback, but the stuff I see people saying is that they hate it and don't want subs for no reason

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
Just now, mcgibe said:

Understandable, but they're pretty far away and they'll get they're own gamemode when they go live. Not saying that you can't give feedback, but the stuff I see people saying is that they hate it and don't want subs for no reason

If they were never going to be in randoms and only in their own mode the majority of those that are against them wouldn't care about them.

• Cool 5

[KENT]
Members
423 posts
8,189 battles
1 minute ago, Serevn said:

Troll post, you wouldn't know there was a fuss if you didn't hear what the fuss was in the first place.

Not really. I've heard a lot of stuff about subs, both good and bad. But there's been a lot of negative feedback where people are saying they hate it period.

[KENT]
Members
423 posts
8,189 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

If they were never going to be in randoms and only in their own mode the majority of those that are against them wouldn't care about them.

But... they're getting their own gamemode before they go into randoms? I don't see the big deal.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
4 minutes ago, mcgibe said:

But... they're getting their own gamemode before they go into randoms? I don't see the big deal.

Assuming you're not just trying to stir up trouble on a topic that quieted down, the key word there is "before".

BrushWolf has it right -- if these "submarines" were never going into any of the extant modes (randoms, co-op, etc), then a lot of us who see what a disaster they're going to be would just chalk it up to WG wasting more dev time and money and resources on a bad idea. 

But it's not never,  and so at this point the game is facing an existential threat.  And making things more toxic and tense is that anyone who dares to point that out gets attacked (often by the same people who attacked anyone who questioned the CV rebork, or who questions the NTC 2.0  Regrind Bureau, or...)

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 4

[TWFT]
Members
1,608 posts
42,361 battles

The problem with subs is they will have to be "buffed" and "Balanced" so the subanauts will be happy.  This of course will make surface players pissed off and subs will have to be nerffed, then the subanauts will be pissed...... and so it goes.

Subs are being introduced because they need to make the game playable for 10 year old, ADD, arcade maven playstation COD types.  Ships are to slow for them to have a good time in.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,615 posts
1 hour ago, mcgibe said:

Exactly as the title says. Why are people so upset about subs? I've seen a lot of negativity about them, and I understand people don't want another CV rework fiasco, but from what I see, they seem pretty cool and easily counterable. Could I be wrong?

So you know there's a fuss, but you couldn't be bothered to read a single thread?:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
27 minutes ago, Wayoverthehill said:

The problem with subs is they will have to be "buffed" and "Balanced" so the subanauts will be happy.  This of course will make surface players pissed off and subs will have to be nerffed, then the subanauts will be pissed...... and so it goes.

Subs are being introduced because they need to make the game playable for 10 year old, ADD, arcade maven playstation COD types.  Ships are to slow for them to have a good time in.

They have ludicrous speed below periscope depth.

[KENT]
Members
423 posts
8,189 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Assuming you're not just trying to stir up trouble on a topic that quieted down, the key word there is "before".

BrushWolf has it right -- if these "submarines" were never going into any of the extant modes (randoms, co-op, etc), then a lot of us who see what a disaster they're going to be would just chalk it up to WG wasting more dev time and money and resources on a bad idea. 

But it's not never,  and so at this point the game is facing an existential threat.  And making things more toxic and tense is that anyone who dares to point that out gets attacked (often by the same people who attacked anyone who questioned the CV rebork, or who questions the NTC 2.0  Regrind Bureau, or...)

wNVvkwK.thumb.png.42c3d0ee5ca11bc0308ebb0cc27145bb.png

just give me a second to explain myself and my opinion. I'm not trying to attack anyone, troll, or white knight for WG. If something as stupid as the first proposed NTC version or the smolensk is afoot, I'll definitely be against it like most sensible people. I definitely don't want to attack people over an opinion on a video game because at the end of the day, it's just a video game.

Subs are also pretty fragile from what I've played so far. CV's and DD's are enormous threats to them and they rely heavily on their team to stop rushing DD'S and provide AA support. I'm not too happy either that subs are faster than they were historically, but I can see why that is given all the hard counters to subs and the fact that it wouldn't be fun to play a ship slower than south Carolina.

Right now, I'm going to see how this pans out. If subs are rushed like carriers were, I probably won't be too happy. They definitely need more testing and work to become balanced. But I do have some optimism for them.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles
2 hours ago, mcgibe said:

Exactly as the title says. Why are people so upset about subs?

People are scared that weegee will stuff them up like the CV rework.

There is nothing to be upset about subs coming into randoms if the testing has been done, and maybe a few tweaks here and there, this is a case of wait and see, and of course there is a lot of people who are looking forward to subs coming into randoms, and some are waiting to see subs in the premium shop.

Members
2,687 posts
4,393 battles
2 hours ago, Wowzery said:

Show me where in a battle like this game depicts that had subs play a large role.

Show me where in a battle multiple Yamato's went toe to toe with multiple Bismarcks.  Show me where in a battle any DD was capable of firing off salvo after salvo of torpedoes.  Show me where in a battle a captain was able to hit a big red button and magically all the fires on his ship went out,  the hull became sealed,  or the damage to his ship began to mend itself.  Show me where in a battle ships were able to magically disappear.

That particular approach does not work and you should know that by now.   This isn't a simulator and nor should it turn into one at this point in its life.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[HINON]
Members
9,243 posts
13,933 battles
3 hours ago, mcgibe said:

some people are stuck on the thought that they WILL be the end of WOWS when they arrive, that theyre GOING to kill the game and theres no way they come POSSIBLY be decently balanced, all these thoughts before they even entered testing as well, but hey, complaining about torps got the IJN DDs and CV torps gutted into near uselessness, so i see the same thing happening with subs to the point that their torps are just about as harmful as CV torps and about as stealthly as high ter IJN DD torps, because WG has been shown lately to have a dislike to anything torpedo related, so i wont give subs half a year before their torps are nerfed into uselessness

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Boring 2

[WORX]
Members
14,356 posts
20,908 battles

Well, its never one thing that will end up "destroying" the game... Its usually death by a thousand cuts drenched in salt water...

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,722 posts
13,410 battles
4 hours ago, mcgibe said:

WG is focusing on making only 1 class counter them, DD's. Who have more than enough on their plate than they can handle already.

What do you do if all your teams DD's all run off and suicide, like they often do without subs?

What do you do when you get a match with subs, and no DD's?

The answer is get torped till you're dead, or hope that the sub will surface in front of your guns. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Subs are boats that will kill aggressive play, teams will need to spend the first half the match killing them so everyone else can play.

• Cool 1

[KENT]
Members
423 posts
8,189 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

WG is focusing on making only 1 class counter them, DD's. Who have more than enough on their plate than they can handle already.

What do you do if all your teams DD's all run off and suicide, like they often do without subs?

What do you do when you get a match with subs, and no DD's?

The answer is get torped till you're dead, or hope that the sub will surface in front of your guns. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Subs are boats that will kill aggressive play, teams will need to spend the first half the match killing them so everyone else can play.

This happens with dds and bbs as well though. If you're cruisers die, it's a lot harder for a bb to counter a dd by itself, but it's still possible. You can still blind fire subs with battleship HE and do massive damage. Just pay attention to the map. It's not complete yet either.

• Boring 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,722 posts
13,410 battles
1 minute ago, mcgibe said:

This happens with dds and bbs as well though. If you're cruisers die, it's a lot harder for a bb to counter a dd by itself, but it's still possible. You can still blind fire subs with battleship HE and do massive damage. Just pay attention to the map. It's not complete yet either.

Not as big of a problem DD v/s BB, BB's have secondaries, and if you're a good enough shot, you can wreck a DD with HE. I also don't see many matches where the DD's outlive the cruisers, so it's usually not a problem.

You obviously didn't pick up on, I don't want to spend a significant part of every match killing submarines. Which when it goes live, is exactly what is going to happen.

Doesn't matter that it's not complete, the entire concept doesn't work.

When subs go live, everyone will hang even further back, making lack of aggressive play and even bigger problem.

If 2/3rds or more of the players are going to be reduced to blind firing to counter something, it's broke.

WG is piling more on the DD's, which have more to do than any other ship, and are usually driven by the least capable players.

I haven't seen a single positive thing that subs are going to make happen in game.

[-AFK-]
Members
1,379 posts
16,788 battles
6 hours ago, mcgibe said:

Just ignore them, I am excited for subs and look forward to them. 

When the new CV's went live, people complained about them, etc... I just got stuck into learning the new mechanics and enjoyed shooting down many planes. 

If something is not immediately balanced, people loose their minds. 

It just shows the fragility of the human psyche and the want for everything to remain the same and effectively it s 'afraid of change' 

Just watch how people will loose their minds to what I have said and then claim they're not loosing their minds. 

But yeah, Subs really looking forward to them!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[KIA-C]
Members
3,831 posts
17,012 battles

Some people just hates changes.

Some people aren't against sub introduction but they're against the way WG introduces sub

Some people like the way subs are introduced

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2