You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capitan_Crunch

Opinions on all cruisers having smoke

52 comments in this topic

[VVVVV]
Members
93 posts
8,971 battles

What is your thoughts I dont mean all have british cruiser tipe smoke but what about british dd type smoke perhaps?  Very short duration to break contact with not designed for camping in and spamming ie NOT like Belfast Kutzov,or Smolinski

Edited by Capitan_Crunch
Spelling
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
9,242 posts
13,933 battles

do you want Worcesters becoming like Smolensk? because thats how you get Worcesters becoming like Smolensk, except the Worcester can pen 32mm with IFHE

or, in other words OP

NO

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

I would only go with this if it was RN DD style pop smoke with a very short operating time.

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,916 battles

Smoke I am finding is not a great solution, I actually do better in my Exeter than my Fiji. In smoke as soon as you lose your spotter you are blind and an easy target. Relying on it is not good. Though at t5 smoke would be nice on the Exeter as it has such a slow reload. Even more so in a Cruiser without torps like my Boise which is my current favorite ship without torps or smoke. Best used for escape from a bad spot. Plus BB's have become really good at blind firing into it. With so many ships with radar, smoke is not as useable as it once was.

• Cool 2

[P2W]
Members
614 posts
7,797 battles
39 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

do you want Worcesters becoming like Smolensk? because thats how you get Worcesters becoming like Smolensk, except the Worcester can pen 32mm with IFHE

or, in other words OP

NO

That would make the other T10s about as balanced as smolensk, what is the problem?

Members
109 posts
7,503 battles
51 minutes ago, Capitan_Crunch said:

What is your thoughts I dont mean all have british cruiser tipe smoke but what about british dd type smoke perhaps?

Only DDs should have smoke. All ships could historically make smoke, but only DDs deployed it as a tactic after training in that deployment. Smoke on anything but a destroyer is just another WG proves they don't know much about naval conflict.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles
3 minutes ago, _Stormcloud_ said:

Only DDs should have smoke. All ships could historically make smoke, but only DDs deployed it as a tactic after training in that deployment. Smoke on anything but a destroyer is just another WG proves they don't know much about naval conflict.

Ok mister naval expert.

s-l1600.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
273 posts
7,532 battles

I play 80% cruisers. And it's a terrible idea. Smoke stalls gameplay and makes static camping gameplay. We need less smoke not more

• Cool 4

Members
109 posts
7,503 battles
6 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

Ok mister naval expert.

s-l1600.jpg

I did say all ships could make smoke. Perhaps you missed that part. I furthered that comment by saying only DDs practiced the deployment of it. A cruiser using it in your photo means zilch in that regard.

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles
3 minutes ago, _Stormcloud_ said:

I did say all ships could make smoke. Perhaps you missed that part. I furthered that comment by saying only DDs practiced the deployment of it. A cruiser using it in your photo means zilch in that regard.

WoWS is not a combat simulator where ships follow naval doctorine, also that is a photo of a cruiser deploying a smoke screen to cover destroyers.

[PVE]
Members
1,616 posts
44,660 battles
1 hour ago, Capitan_Crunch said:

What is your thoughts I dont mean all have british cruiser tipe smoke but what about british dd type smoke perhaps?

Maybe only for 20s. just to try to get away sometimes.

[HINON]
Members
9,242 posts
13,933 battles
24 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

a Chapayev with smoke?

thats more or less what Kutozov is

Members
1,654 posts

many cruisers need a slightly fast RoF and more agility...If they get smoke what do they lose?

Nope!

[NONE]
Members
4,076 posts
12,595 battles
57 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Smoke I am finding is not a great solution, I actually do better in my Exeter than my Fiji. In smoke as soon as you lose your spotter you are blind and an easy target. Relying on it is not good. Though at t5 smoke would be nice on the Exeter as it has such a slow reload. Even more so in a Cruiser without torps like my Boise which is my current favorite ship without torps or smoke. Best used for escape from a bad spot. Plus BB's have become really good at blind firing into it. With so many ships with radar, smoke is not as useable as it once was.

Can confirm.

Brand Exeter don't need no steenkin smoke.

• Cool 1

Members
12,624 posts
14,320 battles
24 minutes ago, loco_max said:

many cruisers need a slightly fast RoF and more agility...If they get smoke what do they lose?

Nope!

Yeah smoke for all Cruisers is really bad idea, plus as you said what will they lose in compensation for getting smoke? I certainly do not want some of my more durable Cruisers having their armor stripped away and gun caliber lowered.

[LOIN]
Supertester
857 posts

I dont see cruisers having this. (Other than the British ones) I mean yeah it would cause some havoc with the game balance. Cruisers (or battlecruisers what ever anyone wants to call them) like Alaska will not benefit from smoke. Plus you have cruisers like the Germans and French, they have long range guns, guns that (in some cases) outrange battleships *cough* Monarch *cough*

Edited by Starfleet1701

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

People would either start to get really good at shooting in smoke, see longer range radars, see an increase in smoke firing penalties or maybe even see the beehive rounds get put to use.

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,916 battles

To be honest, I really don't care either way about smoke. If you got it great, if not play different or use another ship that does. My bigger problem is t7 and t8 ships have radar. The way many ships are spec designed for island cover etc radar is making them obsolete. And when one side has radar and the other does not, that is a huge advantage that is hard to overcome if everything else is fairly equal. Would not be so bad if mm was all same tier. As it is if the enemy radar ship Captain  plays well and does mostly spotting, you are going to catch hell from ships that are out of your gun range.