You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
misanthrope0

A Bit Frustrated

7 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,038 posts
6,853 battles

So I often getting at least average damage and often great damage numbers. However whenever I'm pulling my weight or better I'm still losing with a bad team. However when I have a good team I don't have the time to turn out high damage numbers.

What do you do with that conundrum that with a bad team being the last alive allows you to get out more strikes and with a good team the other team is dead before you get out a lot of strikes.

[SYN]
Members
7,601 posts
12,898 battles

It's easier to get damage when your team is falling apart. It's common for people to get more damage on a loss simply cause you have fewer allies to steal the damage from you.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,803 posts
18,386 battles

You continue playing and do your best in every battle. Random is random and the mix of players very good to very bad is diverse. 

Since you were a beta tester you should have realized this long ago.

[REVY]
Members
1,587 posts
9,913 battles

Unfortunately things like this do happen, wither you are in a CV or not.

I have seen some losing games with some high damage numbers mostly because as the last ship, everyone is focusing on you and getting within range of the secondaries, just as well as you don't want to go 'silently into the night(port)'.

Just continue to play the best you can with the hand (or team) you are dealt.

Maybe go over your replays and use them as a learning experience. Maybe instead of flying after Target A, You should have gone for target B. Would that have helped friendly A to stay alive? That kind of thing.

[CVA16]
Members
3,796 posts
12,292 battles

The (paraphrased) quote attributed to Lert is:

"Great games are the result of you being on a bad team and the opposing team being marginally worse."

Using Coop as an example. I you are on a good team, the pickings will be pretty slim as everybody on your team is slaughtering the bots really fast. You final score will be meh at best. Get on a bad team and it is up to you to kill most of the bots. Your final score will be good to great.

You just need to find that bad green team that is just a bit better than the red team.

Edited by Sabot_100

[POP]
Members
504 posts
5,935 battles

Doing large amounts of damage is not nearly as important as doing damage to the right ships at the right time.  Also spotting and harassing DD'S,  chasing cruisers out from behind islands and breaking up groups of ships by forcing movements with Ordinance drops.

Some of my most influential games have been done while doing sub 50k damage.   Sometimes you just get those teams full of players that would prefer to take a full broadside salvo from 4 of your teammates rather than sit still and take one bomb drop from your planes.  As long as your team is willing and able to capitalize on that, you will do well.

Sure you could spend the entire match farming big numbers on BB's in the back of the map however the enemy CV is helping his team kill your DD's while you are busy.  Those BB's you are going after are going to out heal your damage due to flight time and your BB'S are going to die to their DD's and CV once your DD's are out of the way.

I have been accused of being carried to a 60+% wr in my Saipan because my average damage is not as high as some however if you look, most of my games are solo.  I can farm big numbers too and sometimes I get to (when circumstances permit) but in the end i prefer winning.

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
2,109 posts
19,689 battles

Make sure your stacking your DoTs as well.

Lead with rockets to weaken the AA and start a fire. Then, go in with bombers to start another of they havent put it out or if they have to get them to use DCP. Then follow up with torps to add insult to injury, I mean floods. Do this to battleships mostly as burning and flooding them is going to give you the most damage per game. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Of course don't neglect other targets or CV duties like spotting and attacking destroyers and the like. For damage yields though Battleships are your targets.