You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Anij

DD PLAYERS-Stayin Alive!

22 comments in this topic

Members
274 posts
7,224 battles

One of the most critical ships in the game that can decide whether your team win or loses in less than 5 minutes. Usually at least 2 or 3 of the team DDS are sunk by the 5-7minute mark and now your team is down to 1 DD and the battle is essentially lost. My take on this is these players are not suiciding they just play recklessly because they can’t be bothered to work around the radar cruisers or carriers and figure out a solution. For these players it’s better to go into another battle and hope for a better match up.

The longer your alive the more impact you have. It can be very hard for 2 average BB players to kill 1 DD.

A few ideas that work for me...

1. Stay out of the caps.

2. Capping is always easier when you sink/chase all the enemy ships near it.

3. Ignore your team mate’s constant harassment telling you to cap

4. Flank and scout things out around the cap.

5. Memorize the radar ranges or keep a list close by.

6. Keep smoke for yourself. It gets you out of tight situations.

7. Don’t fire smoke when you cap. All it does is tell everyone where you are.

8. Don’t fire smoke and sit in it.

9. Don’t fire smoke and sit in it because now your team CANNOT SEE THE F%%%%KING ENEMY SHIPS!!

10. Switch your AA off even in NON CV games

11. USE YOUR GUNS ON LOW HP TARGETS instead of torpedoes and USE GUNS  ON DDS!  but……..

12. Know when to go silent with your guns....Even I screw up on this from time to time)

13. Turbo speed works great when radar detected and even when better when combined with smoke.

14. Turn into Air attacks when detected. and turn your AA on the very last second!

15. Harass radar cruisers. These idiots usually sit behind a rock and are usually totally clueless as what to do when fired on by DD. Flanking around these stationary XP gifts is a very viable practice and can be quite rewarding as most players hate radar snobs and are more than happy to help with their extermination from battle.

16. Fire torpedoes from outside your range so that enemy ships run into range

17. Learn to aim torpedoes without locking on target-Number 1 reason why the sub torpedo lock is a joke.

18. Don’t DROP all torpedoes at once. This gets a lot of DDs sunk and/or causes them to miss the target entirely. 

19. Use the staggered launch rule. For example fire the 2nd set of torpedoes 30 seconds after the first at the same target. (There is a very high chance the target used the Repair Control after the 1st flood so getting hit by a 2nd set of torpedoes 30 seconds later is very damaging. The USS Mahan has 3 launchers and at 7km or so if you stagger the launches every 20 seconds or so you can effectively cross drop a surface target and the results can be really devastating.

20. WATCH MINIMAP, SEE MINI MAP, LOOK MINI MAP..MINI MAP YOUR FRIEND!!!! every 30-45 seconds check whats going ON!!

21. Give your self lots of room to operate in

if anyone else has tips..feel free to add

Edited by Anij
  • Cool 5
  • Confused 1

[PIZZA]
Privateers
1,056 posts
22,955 battles

The most important thing about DD play....PATIENCE.   Patience with positioning, patience with torps and guns, patience with spotting, and last but certainly not least.....when deploying smoke, not everyone can sit in it with nobody spotting (biggest thing I see happen every single battle).

• Cool 5

[HITHG]
Members
154 posts
1,476 battles
19 minutes ago, Anij said:

1. Stay out of the caps.

2. <see rest  of list>

Agreed...  all good things to keep in mind.    I personally amend 1. to "1. don't force a cap early (you can get it later), scout it, see what is coming..  then if you feel you can grab it, make your escape plan first then ease your way in with an eye to running if you need."  

a DD alive  late in the match can be a complete game changer

Edited by BadWolfz
  • Cool 2

[DMOD]
Members
67 posts
6,660 battles

"You can't win the game in the first minute, but you can definitely lose it."

• Cool 6

Members
43 posts
5,479 battles

Thank you Anij, All good information that every DD captain should keep in mind. For my part I try to also think of my teammates and provide smoke cover for them when circumstances permit.  Also regarding capping, when to cap is often dictated by the matchup of ship and which map, nothing is set in stone here. 

Edited by Iron_Clad_5000

Members
274 posts
7,224 battles
21 minutes ago, Klingon72 said:

brilliantly said:Smile_great:

Members
274 posts
7,224 battles
23 minutes ago, BadWolfz said:

Agreed...  all good things to keep in mind.    I personally amend 1. to "1. don't force a cap early (you can get it later), scout it, see what is coming..  then if you feel you can grab it, make your escape plan first then ease your way in with an eye to running if you need."  

yeah that's more realistic than what I wrote and more functional...

[RAIN]
Members
101 posts
2,241 battles
41 minutes ago, Klingon72 said:

this quote needs to be show in the loading screen on the way to every battle!

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
132 posts
817 battles

Very good write up. Lots of this is common sense, but it appears to be something many lack. I always look for radar cruisers before the match starts. That is what the player screen is there for. If you see radar cruisers, you shouldn't cap rush. That's one of the main things that DD players seem to have trouble with as they progress up the tiers.

And no, smoke will not help you if you get radared.

Members
834 posts
59 minutes ago, Anij said:
  1. Stay out of the caps. - be smart about entering caps
  2. Capping is always easier when you sink/chase all the enemy ships near it. - capping is easiest when the cap is uncontested
  3. Don’t fire smoke when you cap. All it does is tell everyone where you are. - sometimes move on after dropping smoke in a cap to warn enemies away or attract them to an ambush
  4. Turbo speed works great when radar detected and even when better when combined with smoke. - smoke blocks line-of-sight detection, but not radar
  5. Harass radar cruisers. - "XP gifts" is a great description

Just a few added thoughts.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,267 posts
20,274 battles
34 minutes ago, Anij said:

The longer your alive the more impact you have. It can be very hard for 2 average BB players to kill 1 DD.

Conversely; a competent battleship or cruiser driver can outplay and sink or chase away one-two poorly used destroyers.

(Best recent example was chasing two Minekaze out of a Standard cap with a Warspite on Faultline.)

36 minutes ago, Anij said:

1. Flank and scout things out around the cap

2. USE YOUR GUNS ON LOW HP TARGETS instead of torpedoes and USE GUNS  ON DDS!  but……..

3. Know when to go silent with your guns...

4. Fire torpedoes from outside your range so that enemy ships run into range.

5. WATCH MINIMAP, SEE MINI MAP, LOOK MINI MAP..MINI MAP YOUR FRIEND!!!! every 30-45 seconds check whats going ON!!

6. Give your self lots of room to operate in.

(Bloody DT/LT formatting my phone can’t deal with...)

1: This help bigger ships decide what to do; though of course they don’t always notice or use such information... :Smile_sceptic:

2: Yes. Even a Mutsuki with its two cork guns can kill secure a low HP target.

3: This x inf. For example; one of the biggest mistakes a destroyer can make after spotting a carrier is to charge it. Better to ping it and get others to donate shell holes to said carrier. Another example is island campers. Just keeping one spotted might force them to move someplace less desirable.

4: This is the concept and mathematical exercise called ‘rate of closure.’ I’ve had stealth hits in a Clemson with it; a destroyer not normally known for its ability to stealth torp.

5: Make your mini-map at least one size bigger than the smallest size. Watch it like a hawk. Experience will start to tell when to go somewhere, if you’ll just listen to it.

6: So much this, in any ship. Not being able to maneuver freely drives me nuts; especially when another ship is crowding me.

23 minutes ago, BaronVonTom said:

The most important thing about DD play....PATIENCE.   Patience with positioning, patience with torps and guns, patience with spotting, and last but certainly not least.....when deploying smoke, not everyone can sit in it with nobody spotting (biggest thing I see happen every single battle).

Patience... One of a destroyer driver’s greatest assets.

Smoke used to help an ally getting focused go dark is smoke well spent. As long as they’re smart enough to use it...

’The mashed potatoes are strong in this one...’

16 minutes ago, BadWolfz said:

Early grabs can be smart and a good idea, if you know where all the relevant Reds are.

(Recent example: grabbed B cap on Faultline because I could see on the mini-map that all the Red destroyers and cruisers were at A and C.)

15 minutes ago, Klingon72 said:

Amen brudda...

2 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Thank you Anij, All good information that every DD captain should keep in mind. For my part I try to also to think of my teammates and provide smoke cover for them when circumstances permit.  Also regarding capping, when to cap is often dictated by the matchup of ship and which map, nothing is set in stone here. 

Definitely. Experience + flexibility + smart use of assets for the team.

An example here might be a destroyer with a low damage game might have a terrible pr for that game, but get lots of xp for spotting damage, cap defense ribbons, tanked damage, and late game caps.

[H_]
Members
2,445 posts
53 minutes ago, Anij said:

One of the most critical ships in the game that can decide whether your team win or loses in less than 5 minutes. Usually at least 2 or 3 of the team DDS are sunk by the 5-7minute mark and now your team is down to 1 DD and the battle is essentially lost. My take on this is these players are not suiciding they just play recklessly because they can’t be bothered to work around the radar cruisers or carriers and figure out a solution. For these players it’s better to go into another battle and hope for a better match up.

1. Stay out of the caps.

2. Capping is always easier when you sink/chase all the enemy ships near it.

3. Ignore your team mate’s constant harassment telling you to cap

4. Flank and scout things out around the cap.

5. Memorize the radar ranges or keep a list close by.

6. Keep smoke for yourself. It gets you out of tight situations.

7. Don’t fire smoke when you cap. All it does is tell everyone where you are.

8. Don’t fire smoke and sit in it.

9. Don’t fire smoke and sit in it because now your team CANNOT SEE THE F%%%%KING ENEMY SHIPS!!

10. Switch your AA off even in NON CV games

11. USE YOUR GUNS ON LOW HP TARGETS instead of torpedoes and USE GUNS  ON DDS!  but……..

12. Know when to go silent with your guns....Even I screw up on this from time to time)

13. Turbo speed works great when radar detected and even when better when combined with smoke.

14. Turn into Air attacks when detected. and turn your AA on the very last second!

15. Harass radar cruisers. These idiots usually sit behind a rock and are usually totally clueless as what to do when fired on by DD. Flanking around these stationary XP gifts is a very viable practice and can be quite rewarding as most players hate radar snobs and are more than happy to help with their extermination from battle.

16. Fire torpedoes from outside your range so that enemy ships run into range

17. Learn to aim torpedoes without locking on target-Number 1 reason why the sub torpedo lock is a joke.

18. Don’t DROP all torpedoes at once. This gets a lot of DDs sunk and/or causes them to miss the target entirely. 

19. Use the staggered launch rule. For example fire the 2nd set of torpedoes 30 seconds after the first at the same target. (There is a very high chance the target used the Repair Control after the 1st flood so getting hit by a 2nd set of torpedoes 30 seconds later is very damaging. The USS Mahan has 3 launchers and at 7km or so if you stagger the launches every 20 seconds or so you can effectively cross drop a surface target and the results can be really devastating.

20. WATCH MINIMAP, SEE MINI MAP, LOOK MINI MAP..MINI MAP YOUR FRIEND!!!! every 30-45 seconds check whats going ON!!

21. Give your self lots of room to operate in

if anyone else has tips..feel free to add

Well said.

22.  Don't play Randoms and Ranked in a DD.   

Even if you've done all of the above, in the end, you are "just rocket fodder"....

• Confused 1

[SYN]
Members
897 posts
8,438 battles
1 hour ago, BaronVonTom said:

not everyone can sit in it

Today I had a Groz sit on smoke 3 km from my last known location.  I was in an F3 Shima.  Not the best move.

Members
4,083 posts
9,061 battles
42 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

More like

You beat me to it.

4 guys with beards singing falsetto what's not to like?

Oh oh oh oh, don't drop the soap Don't drop the soap oh oh oh oh

STAYIN ALIIIIIIVE!

[ALAG]
Members
121 posts
2,505 battles
26 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Today I had a Groz sit on smoke 3 km from my last known location.  I was in an F3 Shima.  Not the best move.

You know that your fellow DD doesen't know how to play right when they drop smoke to use their akatsuki's guns, forcing an akizuki's guns to stay silent so It can spot for him.:Smile_child:

• Funny 1

[DAS]
Members
603 posts
5,594 battles

A. Check the enemy team list for CVs and radar cruisers

B. Decide where you want to go AND how to get out of there fast

C. Stay away from caps where you can't see what is coming your way. I don't go to caps with lots of islands nearby (early game at least)

D. When you sail into a cap, pull a U turn so you point towards your team, just in case you need a quick get away

E. Don't be afraid to fire torpedoes towards the most likely directions of enemy DDs. You never know when you might get a lucky kill

F. Make sure your guns are facing the right way (especially if you drive something with slow turning guns)

G. Don't be afraid to fire your guns if you are already detected and can't get away. You might as well go down swinging if it comes to that and any damage you do will help your team

• Cool 1

Members
834 posts
54 minutes ago, epojokke said:

G. Don't be afraid to fire your guns if you are already detected and can't get away. You might as well go down swinging if it comes to that and any damage you do will help your team

I recently had a game in which my teammates roundly criticized me for using the guns on my Shiratsuyu.  I dropped stealth torps on a CA and was turning away when I ran into a Mahan.  With no torps available and my smoke on cool-down, my options were limited.  Since the Mahan had more than twice the DPM of the Shira, my boat would have been shredded before being able to escape.  Instead, I turn toward the Mahan and fired as I charged.  The Mahan driver was surprised and smoked up, which allowed me to escape.

[0456]
Members
383 posts
8,331 battles

so, basically this topic could have been called, 'Good advice from a bad DD player'...?

if ur going to sing it, bring it

Members
615 posts
5,156 battles
4 hours ago, agm114r said:

First thing that popped in my head when I saw the thread title:  (Good tips, too!)
<snip>

:cap_like:

[DAS]
Members
603 posts
5,594 battles
1 hour ago, C14Alpha said:

I recently had a game in which my teammates roundly criticized me for using the guns on my Shiratsuyu.  I dropped stealth torps on a CA and was turning away when I ran into a Mahan.  With no torps available and my smoke on cool-down, my options were limited.  Since the Mahan had more than twice the DPM of the Shira, my boat would have been shredded before being able to escape.  Instead, I turn toward the Mahan and fired as I charged.  The Mahan driver was surprised and smoked up, which allowed me to escape.

I have lost count of how many DDs I have killed with IJN torp DDs. If your guns are pointed the right way, you can normally get off one or two salvos before they can return fire. That normally means you can win a gun fight if they aren't the best.

• Cool 1