Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
QWERTYEel89

Getting higher Damage with HE rounds

11 comments in this topic

Members
105 posts
3,866 battles

So, yeah, as the title says. I mean I figure it's the superstructure that helps with that and I understand the bow and stern gives some good points though there's the damage fall off after a while. How else can I achive max damage from my HE salvos. I know it's possible. I regularly get 6k ripped out of me consistently when in a bb if I'm not careful.

[O_O]
Members
7,164 posts
18,041 battles

Ships have 3 or 4 points that can catch fire, bow to stern.  If you get one spot to catch fire, move up or down the ship, lengthwise, and try to start another.  You really want to try to stack fires if your target has just used his damage control.

Firing HE at the side of the hull on a battleship will not be very effective.  Aim for the super structure.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,268 posts
22,545 battles
1 hour ago, QWERTYEel89 said:

I'll try and spread my shells a bit more often then. Anything else I should consider?

All that matters is that your shell needs to be able to penetrate the armor. Yes, HE sells have penetration values too, based on their caliber and nation, and affected by IFHE. A HE shell that penetrates does 33% of its max listed damage, a HE shell that doesn't penetrate shatters and does no damage, but can still set a fire.

Know the penetration values of your HE shells, and the armor values of what you're shooting at.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,268 posts
22,545 battles
6 minutes ago, QWERTYEel89 said:

I do that. And for that I almost always aim for the superstructure.

Sounds to me like you're doing all that you can.

Saturation is also a thing that exists - different parts of a ship have different HP values, and when those are drained those portions will take less damage. But if you spread out your damage, you're already doing what you can, so ...

Also, when a portion of a ship is on fire, it's immune to being set on fire again for as long as it burns. This means that you can't 'refresh' a fire on an already burning portion. So when a portion of a ship is on fire, start spreading the love. Maybe switch to another target if available to spread the fires around.

Members
691 posts
7,037 battles

Looking at the ships you have in port, you have several which are absolutely dependent on IFHE. This is extremely important to keep in mind: some ships are balanced under the assumption that you have certain captain skills. Ships like the Cleveland, Atlanta, Nueve de Julio, etc. are unplayable without IFHE on your captain. On these ships, IFHE can raise your HE alpha by 400-600% (unless you're super accurate when aiming at the superstructure). It's more important than concealment expert. Before buying a ship or starting a line, it is essential to research which skills you need in order to play it.

Members
105 posts
3,866 battles

177 shells aimed at superstructures with up to 16 pt captain and I only got 45-60k damage. This can't be normal for tier xs and fires seem to be really rare. where as a salvo sets my ship on fire with easy. is the fire prevention skill that potent? Even with the brit bb line I seem to barely go over 5k 2 or 3 times in a battle. I don't understand. I've tried the base of the super structure, the mid and top of it but average 3-4k on a good savlo. I mean  like getting 6-8 pens. That's with IFHE or at least some high cal shells. Same happened with the friesland. 200 hits 100 pens and 45k battles.

Members
691 posts
7,037 battles
On 10/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, QWERTYEel89 said:

177 shells aimed at superstructures with up to 16 pt captain and I only got 45-60k damage. This can't be normal for tier xs and fires seem to be really rare. where as a salvo sets my ship on fire with easy. is the fire prevention skill that potent? Even with the brit bb line I seem to barely go over 5k 2 or 3 times in a battle. I don't understand. I've tried the base of the super structure, the mid and top of it but average 3-4k on a good savlo. I mean  like getting 6-8 pens. That's with IFHE or at least some high cal shells. Same happened with the friesland. 200 hits 100 pens and 45k battles.

200 hits in a friesland is nothing. Frankly, I'm surprised you got up to 45k with that.

British BBs have huge HE shells. You want to be aiming at the upper hull at least, as well as the bow-stern to set additional fires. In fact, with most ships you want to be aiming at the upper hull, not directly at the superstructure.

Depending on the ships involved, 3-4k can range from excellent to ok. 177 shell hits also doesn't seem like that much depending on the ship. In a DM for instance 1-2k is average per salvo (once saturation sets in), and 177 hits quite normal. That's why you get such a short reload and such good AP. In a Henri, Zao or Hindy you might expect up to 4-5k per volley, but here the range matters a great deal, as well as if you hit the turrets or not.

When in doubt, youtube can be a great resource. iChase still has some excellent guides on penetration mechanics and how to aim, so you can make sure there isn't anything you're missing. I'm decently sure they're still up to date, despite being a few years old by now. Also might be worth simply watching replays from unicum players in the ships that you own- I always find watching those extremely informative.

[AK]
Members
22 posts
12,130 battles

So if your HE penetration value is low, it is better to aim for the super structure as opposed to the haul? 

Sign in to follow this