You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Roberto577_One

203 Mogami

60 comments in this topic

Members
88 posts
1,070 battles

I'm going up the IJN Cruiser line currently, on the Aoba right now, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. But I like thinking toward the future, and one of the things on my mind is the Mogami; I know that the 155's are the superior gun choice in almost all aspects, but I don't want to make a specific Mogami captain with IFHE, so should I go with the 203's, or stay with the 155's and just deal with shattering on BB's?

To be clear, I will not be making a Mogami specific captain at this time, nor will I spend gold to reset my captain skills when I get to it, and change them back once I get the Ibuki.

[BOTO]
Members
1,475 posts
19,106 battles
2 minutes ago, Roberto577_One said:

I'm going up the IJN Cruiser line currently, on the Aoba right now, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. But I like thinking toward the future, and one of the things on my mind is the Mogami; I know that the 155's are the superior gun choice in almost all aspects, but I don't want to make a specific Mogami captain with IFHE, so should I go with the 203's, or stay with the 155's and just deal with shattering on BB's?

To be clear, I will not be making a Mogami specific captain at this time, nor will I spend gold to reset my captain skills when I get to it, and change them back once I get the Ibuki.

If you're dead set against using IFHE under any circumstances, then go with the 203mm guns.  Otherwise you're just not going to be able to consistently deal damage,  particularly when your bottom tier.

• Cool 2

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,786 posts
11,455 battles

Mogami and later tiered ships are best used with the larger 203mm guns.  They can punch the heavier ships at the higher tiers much more effectively.  Also, the fire chance is 17% with the 203mm vs 10% with the 155mm.

• Boring 1

[GLF]
Members
1,199 posts
19,178 battles

I run the 203 mogami, albeit terribly, and it irritates me that the reload is longer than the myoko with the exact same guns and turrets. 

I stick with 203's for the same reason, no ifhe.  i only have a 10 pt captain for that boat, and no intention on using it long term that it would be worth getting more on it. 

Edited by AnimaL21

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles

I personally prefer the 155mm guns, just for a different playstyle than the rest of the 203mm ships.  The range is a bit more gimped than the 203's and you'll need a specific commander with IFHE to reach full potential, but those 15 barrels can do some good work when played correctly.  

But nothing wrong with sticking with the 203's, if that's your preference.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,912 battles

Maybe if WG splits the IJN cruisers and moves 15.5cm Mogami to the CL line, they'll un-gimp it.

Takao is basically the 20.3cm Mogami but better as a fit to the CA line anyway, as it's actually an upgrade from Myoko.

If you're not interested in IFHE than yeah just use the 20.3s. They're worse than Myoko's because WG had to punish the ship 2 years ago and hasn't bothered to un-screw it now that the reasons it was nerfed no longer exist.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[WOLF3]
Members
670 posts
12,559 battles

It depends on whether you will be using the captain on the ibuki and running up the line. If not, and you like the 155mm guns then ifhe is the right choice. Im not convinced that the mogami is any better than the cleveland at what it can do with 155's in combination with its radar. The 155 mogami feels like a ship that wants to be a cleveland but is really not particulary good at open or island combat.

[USN]
Members
1,759 posts
22,054 battles
13 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Maybe if WG splits the IJN cruisers and moves 15.5cm Mogami to the CL line, they'll un-gimp it.

Takao is basically the 20.3cm Mogami but better as a fit to the CA line anyway, as it's actually an upgrade from Myoko.

If you're not interested in IFHE than yeah just use the 20.3s. They're worse than Myoko's because WG had to punish the ship 2 years ago and hasn't bothered to un-screw it now that the reasons it was nerfed no longer exist.

They did talk about around the announcement of Slava that were thinking of making alternate versions of ships that have different gun options, as those ships that had those options either are much better than one option (Conqueror 419s) or offer radically different playstyles (Mogami 155 vs. 203s)

Seeing they might of tried to make Thunderer an alternate tech line ship, but appeared to make a last second change, I would not be surprised if in the future, 155 Mogami is removed and is placed on a T8 premium Mogami (likely Kumano) and possibly at some point, premium 420 versions of Freddy and Kurfurst.

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
34 minutes ago, Murcc said:

Mogami and later tiered ships are best used with the larger 203mm guns.  They can punch the heavier ships at the higher tiers much more effectively.  Also, the fire chance is 17% with the 203mm vs 10% with the 155mm.

Yes and no.

IFHE Mogami will punch the same value of armor (32mm) with a potential of 234k dpm. With the 203mm it drops to 132k dpm. And on the fire chances even with IFH, you still have 15x 8%, so around 70% to start a fire per salvo if everything hits (before modificator) against 84% for the 203mm... which is not much considering that the 155mm fire quite quicker.

38 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

I run the 203 mogami, albeit terribly, and it irritates me that the reload is longer than the myoko with the exact same guns and turrets. 

Yes and no. Mogami 203 turret are quite faster (6seconds on a full turn) and have a more friendlier layout, making the 1 sec slower reload not so much of a problem.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,912 battles
3 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

They did talk about around the announcement of Slava that were thinking of making alternate versions of ships that have different gun options, as those ships that had those options either are much better than one option (Conqueror 419s) or offer radically different playstyles (Mogami 155 vs. 203s)

Seeing they might of tried to make Thunderer an alternate tech line ship, but appeared to make a last second change, I would not be surprised if in the future, 155 Mogami is removed and is placed on a T8 premium Mogami (likely Kumano) and possibly at some point, premium 420 versions of Freddy and Kurfurst.

I fully suspect that we'll get an IJN line split into CA and CL, starting as early as tier 5 (Agano class CL/Furutaka class CA).

Such a change could easily bump Mogami to the tier 8 CL slot, losing the 203s in the process, and her tier 8 CA slot would be taken over by Takao.

And then a 203-armed Mogami, if it's desired, could indeed be a premium. Though I suspect it'd be Mikuma, since you have the option of releasing Suzuya and Kumano as paired CAVs once WG figures out what to do with Tone. These two had different hull characteristics compared to Mogami/Mikuma, and were sometimes called the Suzuya class, so they don't really fill the "203-armed Mogami premium" description.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I fully suspect that we'll get an IJN line split into CA and CL, starting as early as tier 5 (Agano class CL/Furutaka class CA).

Such a change could easily bump Mogami to the tier 8 CL slot, losing the 203s in the process, and her tier 8 CA slot would be taken over by Takao.

And then a 203-armed Mogami, if it's desired, could indeed be a premium. Though I suspect it'd be Mikuma, since you have the option of releasing Suzuya and Kumano as paired CAVs once WG figures out what to do with Tone.

Or make a line fusion at tier 8: both tier 7 will merge in ''Mogami'' at 8, splitting again a tier 9.

[GLF]
Members
1,199 posts
19,178 battles
9 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Yes and no. Mogami 203 turret are quite faster (6seconds on a full turn) and have a more friendlier layout, making the 1 sec slower reload not so much of a problem.

Downgrade.  Myoko turret traverse were comfortable as is("as are"?).  

Any myoko/mogami playing close enough for that to matter is dead anyway.  Not only that, but at t8, it should have something better than myoko, not just give up one to buff the other. 

Edited by AnimaL21

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,912 battles
5 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Or make a line fusion at tier 8: both tier 7 will merge in ''Mogami'' at 8, splitting again a tier 9.

I feel like that's unnecessarily complicated considering we have Takao already in the game, waiting for a tech tree slot.

• Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
1,974 posts
22,649 battles

When I first moved up the line, used the 203s since later ships would be the same and no use for captains skills to be different, but always liked the Mog, so latter bought it back and trained up an IFHE captain for the 155s which I run on her now.  Like it as a change of pace verses my Atago.

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
1 minute ago, AnimaL21 said:

Downgrade.  Myoko turret traverse were comfortable as is("as are"?).  

Any myoko/mogami playing close enough for that to matter is dead anyway. 

Yes and no. The lay out of the ABC turret make it bothersome to kite or push, with the C turret having a different rotation like on the Izumo. having all ABC turret facing forward make it quite easier to angle and fight with it, with the quicker turret rotation and tighter dispersion.

[GLF]
Members
1,199 posts
19,178 battles
Just now, Y_Nagato said:

Yes and no. The lay out of the ABC turret make it bothersome to kite or push, with the C turret having a different rotation like on the Izumo. having all ABC turret facing forward make it quite easier to angle and fight with it, with the quicker turret rotation and tighter dispersion.

IIRC, as of a bunch of patches ago, all the IJN 203's from aoba on up have the same zao dispersion... ? 

[ECOM]
Members
288 posts
15,104 battles

Use 155s with HE I never use 203 on mogami its bad. You have the most guns on any cruiser with mogami and IFHE will wreck anything.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,912 battles
6 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

The 3 forward 155s on Mogami are all-forward facing, so are the three forward 203s.

Myoko is the one with a backwards-facing 203 like Izumo's.

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
9 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

IIRC, as of a bunch of patches ago, all the IJN 203's from aoba on up have the same zao dispersion... ? 

True, they forgot to update the wiki

4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The 3 forward 155s on Mogami are all-forward facing, so are the three forward 203s.

Myoko is the one with a backwards-facing 203 like Izumo's.

That was my point, I was just no clear enough I guess.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles

OP, you'll be with the 155's for quite a bit anyway (unless you are willing to burn FXP), because the research line to the 203's is via the B hull first, not direct from the 155mm guns. 

I yielded to the inevitable an age ago, and when the Azur Lane collection came along and they basically gifted us a 10 point Azuma captain in that collection, I grabbed it. She got put aside to run the 155's when the day came, and my Myoko captain MIGHT move up to handle the 203's unless I get so addicted to the 155's that I decide to stick with them. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the ship yet, will probably do one more PTS to get some more experience with her and some more credits under my belt before I do that. I think I know which modules and captain skills I want, but still mulling it over.

[WOLF8]
Members
765 posts
9,808 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

I personally prefer the 155mm guns, just for a different playstyle than the rest of the 203mm ships.  The range is a bit more gimped than the 203's and you'll need a specific commander with IFHE to reach full potential, but those 15 barrels can do some good work when played correctly.  

But nothing wrong with sticking with the 203's, if that's your preference.

What is the range difference tween the 155s and the 203s??  Thx...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,912 battles
6 minutes ago, Slammer58 said:

What is the range difference tween the 155s and the 203s??  Thx...

There is no range difference. Guns don't determine range, the GFCS module does. So both the 15.5cm and the 20.3cm guns cap out at 15.7km.

• Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Damn....my bad.  I'd have swore the 155s were nerfed on range to bring them in check, but I'm likely just thinking of the AFT nerf hit they took a long time ago.

Thanks for the correction, @HazeGrayUnderway.

• Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
1,585 posts
14,639 battles

For me, the only thing which sets the Mogami apart from the rest of the IJN Cruiser line IS the 155mm guns.  At one time this ship was a shining star.  A blast to play.  You saw them in matches ALL DAY LONG.

Then, WG hit it with a NERF bat the size of Texas.  Now you rarely ever see one.   Whether 155mm or 203mm, WG castrated this ship so bad, all versions of it suck.

Unless you're a sadist,,,,, I recommend FXP past it. 

Maybe someday WG will undo that massive @%^% they took on Mogami.