You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dogget

Sell Before You Buy?

20 comments in this topic

Members
102 posts
7,136 battles

If you have researched and purchased, say a T9 cruiser, and are accumulating the wampum to get the T10, can you sell the T9, lock , stock, and barrel before you acquire the T10, and come back anytime and research and purchase the T10?  Or must the previous shop still be in your port, then sell it after the purchase?

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,547 posts
5 minutes ago, Dogget said:

If you have researched and purchased, say a T9 cruiser, and are accumulating the wampum to get the T10, can you sell the T9, lock , stock, and barrel before you acquire the T10, and come back anytime and research and purchase the T10?  Or must the previous shop still be in your port, then sell it after the purchase?

You don't have to research it again, you can sell it and buy it back later.  I would not though.  It just makes your credit problem worse because they sell for less than you paid for them.  So if you ever buy it back again in the future, you take a loss vs just not selling it to begin with.

The "instant gratification" comes at a greater cost to be paid back later.

In general, many people keep T5+ ships because they are useful for missions and events etc.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,961 posts
23,351 battles

If you have unlocked the T10 but need credits to buy it, you are safe to sell the T9 to get said credits.

Members
102 posts
7,136 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

If you have unlocked the T10 but need credits to buy it, you are safe to sell the T9 to get said credits.

Thanks.  That's what i wanted to know.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,961 posts
23,351 battles
1 minute ago, Dogget said:

Thanks.  That's what i wanted to know.

Just make sure you've actually researched the T10. If you're short XP, you'll have to spend FXP or buy back the T9 to finish getting it.

Members
102 posts
7,136 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

You don't have to research it again, you can sell it and buy it back later.  I would not though.  It just makes your credit problem worse because they sell for less than you paid for them.  So if you ever buy it back again in the future, you take a loss vs just not selling it to begin with.

The "instant gratification" comes at a greater cost to be paid back later.

In general, many people keep T5+ ships because they are useful for missions and events etc.

Thanks.  I don't want to buy it back.  I've decided to run for awhile with nothing above T-7 (with exceptions for Scharn and the USN BB Kii) and 3 T-10s.  T5-7 is where I like to play now; Pensacola,  Furry Taco, Aoba, just won Exeter, etc.  But want Zao and Moskva to go with Des Moines.   So, I'll play small then 'dress up' once in a while.

Members
102 posts
7,136 battles
6 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Just make sure you've actually researched the T10. If you're short XP, you'll have to spend FXP or buy back the T9 to finish getting it.

I haven't yet.  But I took all steps to 'open up' the Zao.  Right Hull, etc.  But I haven't touched Zao yet.  That's my concern,  Can I just pop in a research it, from the tech tree, or do I need the grid from my Port?  I have enough XP, but it's not converted till I get doubloons next week.

Edited by Dogget

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,547 posts
13 minutes ago, Dogget said:

Thanks.  I don't want to buy it back.  I've decided to run for awhile with nothing above T-7 (with exceptions for Scharn and the USN BB Kii) and 3 T-10s.  T5-7 is where I like to play now; Pensacola,  Furry Taco, Aoba, just won Exeter, etc.  But want Zao and Moskva to go with Des Moines.   So, I'll play small then 'dress up' once in a while.

Fair enough, then yeah if you never plan on purchasing it again in the future, there is no downside to selling it.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,961 posts
23,351 battles
27 minutes ago, Dogget said:

I haven't yet.  But I took all steps to 'open up' the Zao.  Right Hull, etc.  But I haven't touched Zao yet.  That's my concern,  Can I just pop in a research it, from the tech tree, or do I need the grid from my Port?  I have enough XP, but it's not converted till I get doubloons next week.

You can always right-click Research the next ship from the Tech Tree screen. Just be aware that if you do not have enough XP built up on the preceding ship (Ibuki, in this case), you will have to pay the remaining XP using Free XP.

So after researching Ibuki's final hull, you'll need 238,000 XP to unlock Zao. If you earn another 100,000 XP in Ibuki then sell it, you'll need 138,000 FXP to complete the research (100,000 + 138,000 = 238,000). You can do so using the right-click > Research option on the tech tree screen.

[PVE]
Members
20,171 posts
13,061 battles
53 minutes ago, Dogget said:

48 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

42 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

These.

If you have all the XP you need to unlock the T10, you don't have to have the T9 to unlock the T10. If you don't have all the XP you need, you will need to fill in with FXP. 

If you have enough FXP, you don't even have to buy the ships at all. Just use the FXP to unlock each ship up the tree. Some people are almost certain to do this when 8.10 hits. Everyone will get the T1 Italian ship in their port on 8.10, but some people will just spend the FXP to research the T2, then the T3, then the T4, etc all the way to T10 and start playing the T10 Venezia the first day of patch 8.10 never having played the T9 or less Italian ships.

25 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Fair enough, then yeah if you never plan on purchasing it again in the future, there is no downside to selling it.

If there are more flake events (likely to happen), having the T9 can be helpful. You got 10 draconic flags per T9 this patch. Last Christmas you got 50 Steel per T9 ship snowflake. So be aware that if something cool like the steel snowflakes comes up, you might have to rebuy the ship if you want the flake rewards.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,961 posts
23,351 battles
40 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

How do you get to T10 not knowing this?

The real ugly credit crunch where it starts to matter doesn’t happen until around then.

[EQRN]
Members
2,301 posts
21,469 battles
16 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

The real ugly credit crunch where it starts to matter doesn’t happen until around then.

Credit crunch, maybe.  But in terms of understanding how selling, researching and buying ships works?  That starts when you create a new account that has, what - 10 port slots now? and you unlock your eleventh ship - not when you get to tier 10.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,961 posts
23,351 battles
51 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Credit crunch, maybe.  But in terms of understanding how selling, researching and buying ships works?  That starts when you create a new account that has, what - 10 port slots now? and you unlock your eleventh ship - not when you get to tier 10.

Yeah, but there's no reason to get into the weird corner cases of "does it still work if I do this unusual thing" until an occasion arises. This seems like one of those cases, so it's smarter of the OP to ask whether it should work, rather than take a blind leap of faith and risk ending up with no T9, no T10, and a 5m credit loss..

[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,427 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

He has probably just always purchased the next ship through the tech tree & then sold the last ship always leaving himself w/a free port slot to do the same each time.

Assuming he has acquired a few slots on the way as he says this is his 3rd T10 though.

3 hours ago, Dogget said:

I could be wrong but I believe Kii is IJN OP.

Members
102 posts
7,136 battles
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

He has probably just always purchased the next ship through the tech tree & then sold the last ship always leaving himself w/a free port slot to do the same each time.

Assuming he has acquired a few slots on the way as he says this is his 3rd T10 though.

I could be wrong but I believe Kii is IJN OP.

Yeppers, on Kii.  Ah, what's in a name?  Silly me.  Playing at the public library these days.  One gets distracted.

And I do not always sell previous ship.  Have from T 5-7 with 4 navies.  Just don't like the math at T8, 9.  Maybe in another incarnation.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,103 posts
15,365 battles
19 hours ago, Dogget said:

Thanks.  I don't want to buy it back.  I've decided to run for awhile with nothing above T-7 (with exceptions for Scharn and the USN BB Kii)

Run for your life!!!!! There is no USN BB Kii!!

Members
102 posts
7,136 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Run for your life!!!!! There is no USN BB Kii!!

That mental typo has been cleared up.  Thanks.  Sayonara.

Members
102 posts
7,136 battles
19 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

How do you get to T10 not knowing this?

For the record, I'm just back playing after more than a year.  And my only access is at a computer at the public library.  Cannot bounce back and forth between screens.

So, I had forgotten the particulars and nuances of the procedure.

Under the rubric of "better safe than Sally," I thought I would check with those who know.

Members
102 posts
7,136 battles
20 hours ago, Edgecase said:

You can always right-click Research the next ship from the Tech Tree screen. Just be aware that if you do not have enough XP built up on the preceding ship (Ibuki, in this case), you will have to pay the remaining XP using Free XP.

So after researching Ibuki's final hull, you'll need 238,000 XP to unlock Zao. If you earn another 100,000 XP in Ibuki then sell it, you'll need 138,000 FXP to complete the research (100,000 + 138,000 = 238,000). You can do so using the right-click > Research option on the tech tree screen.

Thanks.  

• Cool 1