You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

What to do with 6k doubloons

16 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
[DRNX]
Members
497 posts
14,137 battles

Finished directive 4 and since I had all the tier 6 ships It gave me 6k doubloons. Do I use them to get the Exeter with some to spare o do I use them to get a Wichita which would cost an additional 5,800 making it very cheap? TIA

Members
1,969 posts

Exeter is fun. I loved it. And it'd be a good trainer for when the Royal Navy heavy cruiser line tech-tree split is released. I think it's coming Q1 or Q2  of 2020?

It has awesome AA.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,634 posts
4,774 battles

Exeter would be a fun buy.  Another question is, should you use the 25% discount coupon that doesn't refresh until mid-March (IIRC)?

[ARGSY]
Members
25,699 posts
19,788 battles

I am waiting for a 50%-off permacamo sale to lash out and equip the ships I kept because I love to play them. I also want to wait and see what (if anything) is up for grabs in the Christmas event, because I've already gone through the head-desking situation of buying permacamos for beloved ships only for WG to give out free ones (Dallas, Icarus and ALMOST Nurnberg last year).

[WOLFC]
Members
3,412 posts
12,121 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am waiting for a 50%-off permacamo sale to lash out and equip the ships I kept because I love to play them. I also want to wait and see what (if anything) is up for grabs in the Christmas event, because I've already gone through the head-desking situation of buying permacamos for beloved ships only for WG to give out free ones (Dallas, Icarus and ALMOST Nurnberg last year).

I used my recent 30% off anniversary coupon to pick up a ton of doubloons, and I’m also waiting for a sale on permacamos before I spend too many of them. IIRC, there were quite a few sales on camos around Thanksgiving and New Years last year.

Now if WG would only offer up the historical camo for Bismarck as a stand-alone item... I’d pick that one up in heartbeat.

Members
353 posts
9,154 battles

I usually pay for month to month premium with extra doubloons. Saves some cash.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,414 posts
26,889 battles

I would wait a few months for the holidays. The past three years, tech tree premium ships have been on sale for 30-50% off doubloon purchase. I am hopeful that they do the same thing with Armory this time around although they may not. If you have no pressing need to use your doubloons, hang on to them a bit longer and see what you can get on sale. If they don't do this, you are out nothing and can buy what you like with them using the coupon. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
2,191 posts
7,680 battles

As @Taylor3006 says, hold out for the Christmas deals.

Wichita is a copy pasta (better stealth, less hitting power) Baltimore. 

Exeter is a nice little heavy cruiser, well placed at her tier, and would be well worth the purchase.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
764 posts
9,806 battles

Anyone know if the 25% off coupon might stack with a possible Christmas sale?  

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,634 posts
4,774 battles
7 minutes ago, Slammer58 said:

Generally, no discount stacks.  Doesn't mean it won't, but don't bet on it.

Waiting for Christmas means you may have another way to get the ship besides dubs.

Edited by iDuckman

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,785 posts
11,446 battles

Sometimes there are ships that are on sale even for doubloons.  What for one of those sales, and if a ship you like comes on sale, get it then.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,412 posts
12,121 battles
1 hour ago, Slammer58 said:

The 25% off coupon is restricted to the armory, so I would expect not.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

Pro: There's never a rush to spend doubloons ... only a perceived need (i.e. want)

Con: Doubloons earn even less interest than money in a bank savings account

The question I'd ask myself is "... will I (you ) play it enough to justify spending the doubs?".  When I had one or a few Premiums, I played it (them) a lot.  Now many sit in port more than some tech tree ships.  In the end, choose what makes ya happy.  Good luck!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,414 posts
26,889 battles
4 hours ago, Slammer58 said:

I would say no only due to how Wargaming has done coupons in the past. Normally you can only use coupons with sales items when they are in fairly expensive bundles. Again this is speculation about Armory ships  being given a discount like tech tree premiums, I could be wrong.