Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dude9872

Carrier Flight Control Question

6 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
5 posts
1,005 battles

Ahoy, Mateys!

I've been away from the game for... uh... like 3 years now? To give an idea of how long it's been, I finally spent by 5500 CBT doubloons on the Arizona. I'm pretty good at WoT and great at WoWP, but I never quite got the hang of this game.

Anyway, I finally made my way over to the Langley to try out carriers for the first time, and I have mixed feelings so far. While spectating in a game of Raptor Rescue, I noticed that the AI carrier does a 180-degree turn with it's flights squadrons where half of the planes break each direction. This seems way nicer than just holding down A or D to set up my next run, but I can't find what key or key combo does this. Anyone know? Or is it just the bot being a dirty cheater?

Any general advice for a "back from the dead" player or a new carrier captain is also welcome.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, let me know if I posted this in the wrong place. It looked like there were other "newbie" questions in New Player Guides, so I think I did it right.

Edit 2: Corrected terminology for clarity.

Edited by Dude9872

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,836 posts
18,456 battles

Your planes do the same thing after an attack run. As soon as you release ordnance those planes should they survive turn and return to the CV. There is no player control involved. You make an attack run, drop ordnance and then set up the next run or press F for the planes to RT CV!

Beta Testers
5 posts
1,005 battles
9 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Your planes do the same thing after an attack run. As soon as you release ordnance those planes should they survive turn and return to the CV. There is no player control involved. You make an attack run, drop ordnance and then set up the next run or press F for the planes to RT CV!

Sorry, I corrected my terminology. What I'm referring to is, after an attack run, they were quickly turning their remaining (still armed) planes 180 degrees somehow to quickly set up another pass. The animation showed half of the squadron breaking in each direction, and the squadron reforming in the opposite direction. I haven't seen players do this, I just saw it when spectating Raptor.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,836 posts
18,456 battles
49 minutes ago, Dude9872 said:

I haven't seen players do this, I just saw it when spectating Raptor.

I suppose that it is because we cant do what the AI programming does.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
5 posts
1,005 battles
1 minute ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I suppose that it is because we cant do what the AI programming does.

Cheating bots it is, then. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Thanks for the replies

• Funny 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,205 posts
11,379 battles
3 hours ago, Dude9872 said:

Sorry, I corrected my terminology. What I'm referring to is, after an attack run, they were quickly turning their remaining (still armed) planes 180 degrees somehow to quickly set up another pass. The animation showed half of the squadron breaking in each direction, and the squadron reforming in the opposite direction. I haven't seen players do this, I just saw it when spectating Raptor.

For players, you can turn left or right, slow down or speed up, when you start an attack, the attacking flight will break away to attack, and the remaining aircraft will follow as has been explained before.

Something that will happen to players when a lag spike hits, is your aircraft will circle around, sometimes in opposite directions, and then race off to where the server finally told your computer the flight actually was. I don't know what this looks like from a ship underneath, or what lag on the surface ships part does with the graphical representation on the aircraft.

I also don't know if the computer actually turns the aircraft the same way the player does, or if it "cheats" for the sake of making the AI work. If the computer does "cheat", and makes the aircraft make a 180 degree turn, the routine that animates the aircraft might cause them to do aerobatics like a lag spike.

Sign in to follow this