Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rabbitt81

WG ship design process needs a rework

10 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
18,661 battles

The recently released premium ships Yahagi and Viribus Unitis both had design and balance phases that lasted well over a year. Testing went on for so long that, according to the devs, the Viribus Unitis was forgotten about. How do you forget a ship but release it at the same time? These long design periods did not accomplish the task of balancing either ship before their release date. 

The premium ship Smolensk was recently released and adds more HE fire spam to high tiers which absolutely nobody wanted. If someone had pitched the idea for that ship to me my response after I had finished laughing would have been, "Wait, you're being serious? No more vodka during lunch break for you!" Clearly there is a disconnect somewhere in the idea and design phase.

Now to be up front and honest, I have zero game design experience. What I do have is experience working in a busy office with lots of deadlines and daily meetings between different departments. I have been giving this issue some thought and this is how I would fix the disconnect in designing new premium ships:

Create a template for design of certain classes of ships.

the template should be tier specific and include rate of fire, number of guns, armor, as well as gimmicks. The template should be agreed upon and shared with every department. The fun factor of the ship also needs to be discussed at this phase as well. Is it fun to be playing this ship? Is it fun to fight against this ship? Can it be countered?

Set a roadmap for each unreleased ship being designed and conduct daily progress meetings.

Nobody likes meetings, well, maybe the ones with free donuts and no Powerpoint presentations, but that's the exception. The daily meetings should include if the ship is meeting the roadmap milestones and any issues with design can also be presented here. Issues presented should be tracked to make sure they are fixed and not forgotten about.

Have everyone in the office play the ship in a random match after finalized for release.

Do this with time remaining to correct any issues found. Everyone, including spreadsheet guy will play the ship (may want to have someone demonstrate how to select random and hit the battle button.) Have every employee respond with an email to the head of the design team with any concerns. The emails act as a record if any major problems are not corrected such as: this ship needs buffs to be a tier 5, has game breaking amounts of HE spam etc. 

This is the process that I personally would use to correct the problems that are apparent in the current design system. I would be interested to hear from individuals who have game design studio experience to read what their understanding and solutions to this issue would be.

What would you do to improve ship design if you worked at the game HQ?

Edited by Rabbitt81
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,987 battles
19 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

What would you do to improve ship design if you worked at the game HQ?

I would suspend everyone's accounts until they watched several hours of videos on the subject of how we make pixel ships and then pass a 1000 question test with a score of no less than 90%!

• Boring 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,451 posts
10,751 battles

I would ignore people on forums that have no practical experience.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
18,661 battles
4 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

I would ignore people on forums that have no practical experience.

Practical experience such as...?

If you are referring to my suggestions, explain.

Members
222 posts
6,098 battles
1 hour ago, Rabbitt81 said:

Nobody likes meetings, well, maybe the ones with free donuts and no Powerpoint presentations, but that's the exception.

No Power Point Presentations?? I'd pay money to miss a meeting like that...

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
18,661 battles
4 minutes ago, Darksaint1071 said:

No Power Point Presentations?? I'd pay money to miss a meeting like that...

My favorite are the ones where the presenter reads the slides as if you suddenly forgot how to read. :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Rabbitt81
  • Cool 1

[UNHLY]
Members
5,347 posts
14,868 battles
13 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

My favorite are the ones where the presenter reads the slides as if you suddenly forgot how to read. :Smile_veryhappy:

The ones that give you the slides as handouts, project the exact same slides, and then read all the information word for word exactly as presented on the slide are even better

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
13,388 posts
12,784 battles
2 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

My favorites are the ones that give you the slides as handouts, project the exact same slides, and then read all the information word for word exactly as presented on the slide

And overrun bathroom breaks.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,347 posts
14,868 battles
4 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

And overrun bathroom breaks.

Bathroom breaks? Oh you mean those ‘jump up, stretch for 0.46214787324589642 seconds, and then dive for your seat when the presenter says “we’re running behind schedule as it is so we’re now going to be getting out three hours late” ’ things?

Sign in to follow this