You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

A Warning About Viribus Unitis

239 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
7 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I am out of upvotes, so this will have to do for now:  :Smile_honoring:

Just did it for you.

Also, another reason not to buy it? It's lousy and hurts to play. A well-conceived battleship in WoWs is like a fine gentleman's adult beverage - smooth, rich, hearty, and lasts a long time. VU is a half empty boxed wine you found next to some used syringes in an alley. Consume at your own great peril.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 8
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
10,945 posts
20,732 battles
13 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Don't buy it.

That is all you need to do or say. The ship is really bad.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 5

[RST]
Beta Testers
93 posts
7,182 battles

Nope - just bought and play my first game in it. While it was a Tier V fight, had 3 kills, 100K damage and basically had ppl focus me so they could shoot at the larger targets and cap. While I died, finished first and got a win.  While it will be challenged in Tier VI or VII fights, Wiki says to focus cruisers and on lower Tier IV ships. Won't carry, per se, but held my own. My opinion may change over time but it's unique in WoW and enjoyed the first game and win.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4
  • Angry 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
3 minutes ago, Mustang2209 said:

Nope - just bought and play my first game in it. While it was a Tier V fight, had 3 kills, 100K damage and basically had ppl focus me so they could shoot at the larger targets and cap. While I died, finished first and got a win.  While it will be challenged in Tier VI or VII fights, Wiki says to focus cruisers and on lower Tier IV ships. Won't carry, per se, but held my own. My opinion may change over time but it's unique in WoW and enjoyed the first game and win.

Even a burning dumpster can occasionally roll down a hill and accidentally run over a future serial killer.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 19
  • Boring 2

[-N-]
Members
241 posts
14,309 battles

I do trust, Miss Mouse, that you will keep us updated on the performance of this ship once you’ve had time to test her more? Just don’t kill ourself of course.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
1 minute ago, Nine_Lives_ said:

I do trust, Miss Mouse, that you will keep us updated on the performance of this ship once you’ve had time to test her more? Just don’t kill ourself of course.

This.

Her health is the most important thing. 

WoWs is just a game.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and say that there's something wrong with the ship. Like, not just imbalanced, but wrong. I just queued up in a match and she's taking almost absurd damage from every shell hit - not only does VU get citadeled if you sneeze at her, but even basic overpens seem to be clipping off 10% or more of my HP.

Like, you cannot absorb damage in this thing period. There are no glancing blows, or salvos you shrug off. EVERYTHING punches through. I've never seen a battleship like this.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Modder, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

I really scratch my head as to why this was bumped to V instead of just trimming down stats to stay competitive in IV.    Historically this was a first gen Dread made by a relatively minor naval power and while a pretty good showing as a first attempt, they were far from perfect.  It was a fun experience playing her at Tier IV and a few nerfs would have not really impacted enjoyment.  Instead you stuck them in Tier V with battleships many generations ahead of it, a Tegetthoff has no business fighting an Iron Duke, Konig or Texas expecting equal terms.

It's a bit of a shame, since it was fun in test and aesthetically it's a very pleasing design.

• Cool 2

[-TNG-]
Members
61 posts
1,684 battles
12 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and say that there's something wrong with the ship. Like, not just imbalanced, but wrong. I just queued up in a match and she's taking almost absurd damage from every shell hit - not only does VU get citadeled if you sneeze at her, but even basic overpens seem to be clipping off 10% or more of my HP.

I’ve noticed this too in CoOp matches. It seems like what should be only a handful of penetration hits can utterly gut the HP pool. I know the HP pool is small, but even still, it seems like Battleship-caliber shells, even on the extremities (when nominally overpenning), will munch the ship  in short order.

Edited by Shadow0206
Formatting

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,550 posts
9,394 battles
19 minutes ago, Nine_Lives_ said:

Yeah, I've bugged the St.Petersburg devs (iEarlGrey has promised to keep me appraised) and I'll be putting some more delays on Smolensk to put the ship through the ringer over the weekend.  Figuring out what she has is important -- particularly if Wargaming does an "oops" and makes changes to these soft-stats.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
14 minutes ago, Shadow0206 said:

I’ve noticed this too in CoOp matches. It seems like what should be only a handful of penetration hits can utterly gut the HP pool. I know the HP pool is small, but even still, it seems like Battleship-caliber shells, even on the extremities (when nominally overpenning), will munch the ship  in short order.

I feel like I'm playing a light cruiser. That may be a slight exaggeration, but not by much. It's like the armor isn't even there - that's how it feels to be shot at. 

In that match alone, I had an enemy T5 BB take off half my HP with one salvo into my angled bow from 14+ km, no citadels. That's unlike anything I have ever seen before in battleship play - and this includes some real lightweights like Kawachi, Myōgi, and Ishizuchi.

IRL, the Tegetthoffs had an 11" belt that thinned to about 6" at the bow and stern. This was not amazing armor, but it wasn't unusually bad for ships of the era, either (Orion, for example, had a 12 inch belt that narrowed to between 6 and 2.5 inches at the ends [Orion was also about a half-generation better design that VU: it was larger, had bigger guns, a far heavier broadside, it was fast, etc.]. Orion is MUCH tankier than VU). 

• Cool 3

[-TNG-]
Members
61 posts
1,684 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I feel like I'm playing a light cruiser. That may be a slight exaggeration, but not by much. It's like the armor isn't even there - that's how it feels to be shot at. 

In that match alone, I had an enemy T5 BB take off half my HP with one salvo into my angled bow from 14+ km. That's unlike anything I have ever seen before in battleship play - and this includes some real lightweights like Kawachi, Myōgi, and Ishizuchi.

IRL, the Tegetthoffs had an 11" belt that thinned to about 6" at the bow and stern. This was not amazing armor, but it wasn't unusually bad for ships of the era, either (Orion, for example, had a 12 inch belt that narrowed to between 6 and 2.5 inches at the ends. Orion is MUCH tankier than VU). 

The light cruiser comparison is apt. Even assuming citadel hits don’t occur (which is certainly a rather big if), the ship simply eats penetrations, as the armor just can’t stand up to contemporary-tier BB guns at almost any range. Angling doesn’t help, because much of the armor, even on the belt, simply is too thin to take the hits at normal angles, and it’s even worse if you’re trying to return fire, as the firing angles force you to present far too much broadside to the enemy, and penetrations just become a matter of formality at that point. Coupled with the short range of VU’s guns, no ship in retaliation range will have much difficulty of getting damage done.

Orion makes VU look like Emile Bertin, or Emerald. It isn’t even close, and at least the cruisers have speed on their side. This ship reminds me of nothing so much as Abruzzi, except somehow even more vulnerable.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
12,628 posts

I'm going to have to take my Wyoming out this weekend and see how it fares against this thing, if I can find any in battles.

• Boring 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,584 posts
13,003 battles

I have been increasingly annoyed by WG changing ships between rounds of CC testing and release. It seems like we are less and less getting an accurate picture of a ship at the time of release. It's almost as if they don't want us to know what we are buying, whether it is for real or in-game currencies. It also feels like the CCs are becoming more aware that their pre-release reviews are becoming increasingly irrelevant and not turning out as much pre-release content. As typical with WG shenanigans, I can't tell if this is malice or incompetence, but it is very frustrating and adds to my increasing dissatisfaction with where the game is going. 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,420 battles

Gracias, La Mouseketeer!

• Boring 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
1 minute ago, pikohan said:

I can't tell if this is malice or incompetence, but it is very frustrating and adds to my increasing dissatisfaction with where the game is going. 

They never talk to us, so it's difficult to know what they want.

Like, wouldn't it be amazing if a WG dev swooped down into one of these threads and said "yeah, this isn't what we wanted with the ship, we'll look at it," or even just "actually, we had a vision for this vessel, and here are some pointers as to how to play it right."

But it's just crickets. The boat is offered for sale, people point out that it's glaringly flawed, and there's nothing but static across all channels. 

I don't think it's unacceptable to expect developers to engage even slightly.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,048 posts
17,086 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Like, wouldn't it be amazing if a WG dev swooped down into one of these threads and said "yeah, this isn't what we wanted with the ship, we'll look at it," or even just "actually, we had a vision for this vessel, and here are some pointers as to how to play it right."

Yeah, I would love that. But, alas ...

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
19,771 posts
11,962 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Don't buy it.

Wow, Mouse, that's kinda alarmist, innit?  Well, yeah.  It kinda is.  But I've got good reason.  I have no idea how some of her key features are supposed to perform.  There's a big gap between how third party sites (such as GameModels3d.com or Proships.ru) are reporting her hidden stats and what they were supposed to have changed to back in February of this year.

ST, test ships changes (February 11th, 2019)

German battleship Viribus Unitis, tier V.

• The Sigma value is decreased from 1.8 to 1.65;
  • Changed the parameters of the consumable "Repair party":
  • The restoration of the casemate (non-citadel) damage reduced from 50% to 40%;
  • Restoration of hit points, after receiving damage to the citadel, increased from 10% to 33%.

The battleship had excessive accuracy for its Main Battery salvoes with hard-hitting shells. Changing the parameter will bring the accuracy in line with other battleships of this tier.

Viribus Unitis has good armor, allowing it to avoid sustaining large amounts of casemate damage, however, with the small number of hit points, penetrating the citadel (with shell, bomb or torpedo) is fatal for the ship, so changing the proportions of the restored hit points will reduce the severity of the damage received in the citadel.

Looking into the guts of the ship, I don't see these changes having been implemented.  The only way I can verify them is by testing and I've only had access to the ship for less than 48 hours (and I've been busy with what limited time I have available for this kind of thing).  So, does Viribus Unitis have 1.8 sigma or 1.65 sigma on her guns?  Does she queue up 40% or 50% from shell penetrations?  Does she queue up 33% or 10% of citadel damage? 

I don't know.  These are all pretty big performance parameters too and will greatly impact how well the ship plays.  I'm trying to track down this information (or find someone who knows).  Until we can get confirmation, be careful with how you spend your money.

Mouse out.

Do you have any tests that us scrubs can run? 

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,767 posts
13,566 battles

Thanks Mouse :Smile_honoring:, I am a collector and she is an important milestone, three gun superfiring turrets on the centerline, in the development of battleships a pre-war ship in tier 5 which is populated with post war ships made me think about spending my limited funds. The wimpy AA is another factor. If they really want it at tier 5 preferred MM is in order and even then she would be at a big disadvantage against tier 6.

I am wondering if a decimal point or two got misplaced as the armor should be stopping more than it does from what people are saying.

[K0]
Members
1,751 posts
7,743 battles
52 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Do you have any tests that us scrubs can run? 

1v1 in a training room, VU versus any other BB. The former will be the target, the latter will be the shooter.

Have the shooter record the number of shell hits and the damage they cause (and what type as well), compare this to the calculated damage for different kinds of penetrations.

Have the target record their health before and after repairs, compare the difference to the penetration damage dealt by the shooter.

I used a similar method to prove to a guy that DWTs did not do more damage than regular torps with the same listed damage.

Edited by Flashtirade
  • Boring 1