xXSpotted_HyenaXx

Since Submarines are on the way...

7 comments in this topic

Members
175 posts
1,850 battles

I'll just leave this right here....

Hope this brings back memories for some of you. This is by far my favorite Sea based movie.

But "The Cruel Sea" is a close second. 

• Boring 1

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,283 battles

You know, it would be way cool if what was coming were actually submarines, but I guess they think underwater DD's are what everyone wants.  That being said Das Boot was a great movie but I thought U-571 was awfully good as well. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,549 posts
12,986 battles
26 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

You know, it would be way cool if what was coming were actually submarines, but I guess they think underwater DD's are what everyone wants.  That being said Das Boot was a great movie but I thought U-571 was awfully good as well. 

That slow DD with a long lasting smoke is my issue. The game feel from the subs is actually good even with the ridiculous submerged speeds. It is the interaction of the sub hunters and other enemy ships that totally destroys any feeling of sub hunting and that is key to this working as far as I am concerned.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,283 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

That slow DD with a long lasting smoke is my issue. The game feel from the subs is actually good even with the ridiculous submerged speeds. It is the interaction of the sub hunters and other enemy ships that totally destroys any feeling of sub hunting and that is key to this working as far as I am concerned.

I can certainly see that.  If I could get past the whole "these things act nothing like subs" thingee and didn't care to have some kind of approximation of actual submarine warfare then yes I could agree that the game feel isn't all that horrible. 

But honestly, if you don't have vessels that actually act like subs, how can you get a feel for what sub hunting was all about.  You're not going to get that regardless with a 30 knot underwater sub because it's speed is so vastly different from actual performance characteristics of an actual sub that even if you have more realistic sub hunting game play, you really wouldn't be able to use it since that doctrine would be "how you hunt an 8 knot submerged sub" not a 30 knot one.  

The warp speed underwater subs are so grossly unrealistic they not only change and fictionalize the whole sub experience, they also force the ships which have to deal with them to behave in completely unrealistic ways as well.  You don't get a feel for sub warfare nor the feel for what it might have been like to hunt them.  

Basically you could have made them fly for all the "feel" you're going to get from them (imagine that, carriers and subs all in one handy package.  Come on WG we're on to something here) regardless of whether you are operating them or attempting to counter them.  

Sad really, this is a pretty neat game and I've invested a lot of time in it, it'll be sad to go looking elsewhere but WG has their decisions to make and I have mine. 

Shame though anyway.   

Members
175 posts
1,850 battles
23 hours ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

What? 30 knots underwater?  Sorry if i seem uninformed but I dont come on the forums anymore so I'm a little behind on the whole submarine thing which, I am kind of against for my own reasons. 

First off, the Type II U-boat, could only do 5 knots underwater, 12 knots surfaced. A type IX, could do 18-20 knots surfaced and I think 10 knots submerged? How does Wargaming get 30 knots out of this? 

At that speed, a U-boat could almost fire her torpedoes, then run into the back of them. So that's beyond broken. 

My feeling is, they're trying to compensate for a submerged U-boat's vulnerability of being blind, slow and nearly deaf., or lack of the general player's skill in maneuvering and attacking with such a slow submerged speed that they upped the speed way up to make it easier for people. Which is stupid. That's the equivalent of lowering the rim so basketball players can score easier. Doesn't make the players better, makes the combat more mindless. Assuming that this is actually Wargaming's thinking. Even for an arcade game who's physics are dumbed down so we can all sink each other in a time span of less than 3-10 hrs in a match, this is way out there. 

Since I don't know a thing about programming physics or game balancing (If it was up to me, there would be no balancing. War is war, there are no rules when it comes to arms races) so I can't offer a solution other than slow the boats to their realistic speed and what ever happens, happens. 

One might say "Nobody would command submarines then!"  Of which I would shrug my shoulders, and still go to bed and get a full night's sleep tonight. 

By the way, I like this;  "Don't mess with me because I can squish you like a bug, that is If I should decide to notice your existence in the first place".  

Because it reminds me of a match where a Tier 5 New York was trying to persuade me to shell him rather than the CV I was chasing down. I am paraphrasing, but he said something like "I'm the only one you need to be worrying about"  To which my response was "You're not strong enough to be my enemy...."

Edited by xXSpotted_HyenaXx

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,283 battles
56 minutes ago, xXSpotted_HyenaXx said:

What? 30 knots underwater?  Sorry if i seem uninformed but I dont come on the forums anymore so I'm a little behind on the whole submarine thing which, I am kind of against for my own reasons. 

First off, the Type II U-boat, could only do 5 knots underwater, 12 knots surfaced. A type IX, could do 18-20 knots surfaced and I think 10 knots submerged? How does Wargaming get 30 knots out of this? 

At that speed, a U-boat could almost fire her torpedoes, then run into the back of them. So that's beyond broken. 

My feeling is, they're trying to compensate for a submerged U-boat's vulnerability of being blind, slow and nearly deaf., or lack of the general player's skill in maneuvering and attacking with such a slow submerged speed that they upped the speed way up to make it easier for people. Which is stupid. That's the equivalent of lowering the rim so basketball players can score easier. Doesn't make the players better, makes the combat more mindless. Assuming that this is actually Wargaming's thinking. Even for an arcade game who's physics are dumbed down so we can all sink each other in a time span of less than 3-10 hrs in a match, this is way out there. 

Since I don't know a thing about programming physics or game balancing (If it was up to me, there would be no balancing. War is war, there are no rules when it comes to arms races) so I can't offer a solution other than slow the boats to their realistic speed and what ever happens, happens. 

One might say "Nobody would command submarines then!"  Of which I would shrug my shoulders, and still go to bed and get a full night's sleep tonight. 

By the way, I like this;  "Don't mess with me because I can squish you like a bug, that is If I should decide to notice your existence in the first place".  

Because it reminds me of a match where a Tier 5 New York was trying to persuade me to shell him rather than the CV I was chasing down. I am paraphrasing, but he said something like "I'm the only one you need to be worrying about"  To which my response was "You're not strong enough to be my enemy...."

Hi Spotted Hyena, 

I'm in complete agreement with the underwater speed thingee, but as best I can determine, it's the course WG has chosen to make submarines more attractive to their target market which appears to be the pure arcade players and apparently what they want is something that is fast enough to keep up with everyone else while still operating submerged.  Once you make that decision, you sort of throw ship fans into the burning barrel and everything else sort of follows from there. 

I'm particularly looking forward to the Yamato taking out underwater subs with her 18 inch guns which it looney tunes stuff but hey, it's obvious that is exactly what's going to become commonplace in this game.  Having made the decisions WG has already committed itself to, there really aren't all that many options available to them other than that. 

Whatever "feel" this game might have retained to this point is going to be completely nuked by this one decision and all of the other decisions that are going to, as a necessity, spring from it.  

Oh, glad you like the saying.  

It's actually something I posted during a community event about which ship girl is your favorite and why.  I picked Nelson because of her attitude which that saying sort of sums up.  I liked it enough to make it, and her, part of my "signature". 

Thanks for responding!!! 

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.