Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MitoUchiha

Help With Smolensk

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3
[JUGS]
Members
30 posts
6,671 battles

So I am almost exactly 13k coal from getting Smolensk, which is probably about a week if I'm lucky with containers and complete all my missions.

I was initially planning to get Yoshino, but then I remembered that a ship as strong as Smolensk is may or may not be removed if the community decides it's too strong. A bit of the Mikhail Kutuzov treatment.

 

So before I get the ship, I'd like to know what the best build for this ship. I've heard people say that IFHE isn't necessary because of the stupid fire chance. I've also heard people say to her IFHE because it helps damage cruisers while the fire chance is still decent.

I'm also curious about a range build for it. Is it worth it or is it best to stick to around 16km range?

 

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86
[UTWE]
Members
340 posts
5,366 battles

This ship is so disgusting. You don't need ANY skill to play it, just spam HE and blap someone with torps if they get too close because of course it has torps... And don't give me that argument of, "Oh but it gets destroyed in one salvo all the time." Yes if you can hit it... which you can't, it has smoke that it's hiding in all the time, it's so small, and it has decent concealment and maneuverability, and finally if you do hit it, your shells will only over-pen because it's armour is so bad it's good. Anyway excuse my rant. You'll do fine really easy. 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
954
[YETI]
Beta Testers
2,917 posts
23,982 battles

Got my Smolensk two weeks ago and haven't tried it yet . One day I guess I will ? 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[JUGS]
Members
30 posts
6,671 battles
7 minutes ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

This ship is so disgusting. You don't need ANY skill to play it, just spam HE and blap someone with torps if they get too close because of course it has torps... And don't give me that argument of, "Oh but it gets destroyed in one salvo all the time." Yes if you can hit it... which you can't, it has smoke that it's hiding in all the time, it's so small, and it has decent concealment and maneuverability, and finally if you do hit it, your shells will only over-pen because it's armour is so bad it's good. Anyway excuse my rant. You'll do fine really easy. 

It's exactly because it's so broken that I want to get it as soon as possible before it's nerfed and/or removed. I can't even explain my disdain for the bastards who have triple Smolensk divisions lol

That being said, I am the sort of person who likes to maximize my potential in a ship as much as possible (except for Georgia, in which I have a full secondary build. Even with IFHE and demolition expert.), so I need the most effective captain skill and upgrade combination since I think the ship will be fun regardless of what I use on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86
[UTWE]
Members
340 posts
5,366 battles
2 minutes ago, MitoUchiha said:

It's exactly because it's so broken that I want to get it as soon as possible before it's nerfed and/or removed. I can't even explain my disdain for the bastards who have triple Smolensk divisions lol

That being said, I am the sort of person who likes to maximize my potential in a ship as much as possible (except for Georgia, in which I have a full secondary build. Even with IFHE and demolition expert.), so I need the most effective captain skill and upgrade combination since I think the ship will be fun regardless of what I use on it.

Oh yeah definitely. I'm not saying you shouldn't get it, just saying that thing needs to be Yueyang level nerfed x10. However it's Russian so very unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[JUGS]
Members
30 posts
6,671 battles
22 minutes ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

Oh yeah definitely. I'm not saying you shouldn't get it, just saying that thing needs to be Yueyang level nerfed x10. However it's Russian so very unlikely.

I'm not personally a believer in "Russian bias", but I'm not going to deny that Smolensk is....questionable. That being said, Colbert is almost as overpowered, but at least it's hard to get. Smolensk is very accessible, which I think is one of its biggest issues. It's accessibility means tier 10 is flooded with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86
[UTWE]
Members
340 posts
5,366 battles
2 minutes ago, MitoUchiha said:

I'm not personally a believer in "Russian bias", but I'm not going to deny that Smolensk is....questionable. That being said, Colbert is almost as overpowered, but at least it's hard to get. Smolensk is very accessible, which I think is one of its biggest issues. It's accessibility means tier 10 is flooded with them.

I don't mind Colbert because it doesn't have smoke, if Smolensk didn't have smoke it would be mostly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[JUGS]
Members
30 posts
6,671 battles
12 minutes ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

I don't mind Colbert because it doesn't have smoke, if Smolensk didn't have smoke it would be mostly fine.

It may not have smoke, yes. But it's actually a fairly difficult ship to citadel like Smolensk is. And while it doesn't have smoke, it has a superior French speed boost on top of already have Minotaur's acceleration characteristics baked in. When I'm playing Moskva, I'd much rather fight a Smolensk than a Colbert since Moskva kind of counters Smolensk so long as you can get the Smolensk's broadside.

 

That's not to say Smolensk isn't overpowered. Honestly, I think they're equally overpowered because they each have very good ways of mitigating damage. And while Smolensk has much better gun characteristics, Colbert has so much dakka that it doesn't even matter.

Edited by MitoUchiha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
531
[BS]
Members
1,935 posts
9,813 battles

You know how they say SMolensk isn't a premium ship, so it's nerfable? they won't nerf it, they'll just remove it and use it to drive christmas box sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
[WOLF6]
Members
834 posts
7,855 battles
1 hour ago, MitoUchiha said:

So I am almost exactly 13k coal from getting Smolensk, which is probably about a week if I'm lucky with containers and complete all my missions.

I was initially planning to get Yoshino, but then I remembered that a ship as strong as Smolensk is may or may not be removed if the community decides it's too strong. A bit of the Mikhail Kutuzov treatment.

 

So before I get the ship, I'd like to know what the best build for this ship. I've heard people say that IFHE isn't necessary because of the stupid fire chance. I've also heard people say to her IFHE because it helps damage cruisers while the fire chance is still decent.

I'm also curious about a range build for it. Is it worth it or is it best to stick to around 16km range?

 

Any thoughts are appreciated.

First game in the Smo in PVE , 240 hits for three fires & 42 k damage  . About what I've come to expect for Atlanta fire wise . It's not an " I win button " , pretty much a tier 10 Flint or Atlanta . It needs DE and IFHE IMO .

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[JUGS]
Members
30 posts
6,671 battles
27 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

First game in the Smo in PVE , 240 hits for three fires & 42 k damage  . About what I've come to expect for Atlanta fire wise . It's not an " I win button " , pretty much a tier 10 Flint or Atlanta . It needs DE and IFHE IMO .

Thanks for the input. I do think that the problem with playing a ship like Smolensk in co op is that the bots tend to just rush you, so you don't have the time to accumulate any damage before friendly destroyers or battleships one shot them. It's more of a random battles ship, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
[WOLF6]
Members
834 posts
7,855 battles
5 hours ago, MitoUchiha said:

Thanks for the input. I do think that the problem with playing a ship like Smolensk in co op is that the bots tend to just rush you, so you don't have the time to accumulate any damage before friendly destroyers or battleships one shot them. It's more of a random battles ship, I think. 

The games in PVE are short , but I kept the guns singing almost the whole time trying to burn down a Montana , targeting the superstructure it was still a challenge to damage her  . If I have a mission to start fires , I will use an RN BB , not the Smo . You'll have more time to rack up damage in a random game for sure though , as long as you survive that is .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[JUGS]
Members
30 posts
6,671 battles
18 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

The games in PVE are short , but I kept the guns singing almost the whole time trying to burn down a Montana , targeting the superstructure it was still a challenge to damage her  . If I have a mission to start fires , I will use an RN BB , not the Smo . You'll have more time to rack up damage in a random game for sure though , as long as you survive that is .

Montana is one of those tier X battleships that doesn't burn very easily for some reason. Maybe I just have bad luck, but getting fires on Montana is always harder for me than getting fires on Kurfurst or Yamato. Still, I don't really have an HE spamming ship, so Smolensk will be it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,997
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,938 posts
18,324 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

You know how they say SMolensk isn't a premium ship, so it's nerfable? they won't nerf it, they'll just remove it and use it to drive christmas box sales.

That's what happens with every OP ship in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228
[AAA]
Members
1,022 posts
11,092 battles
3 hours ago, MitoUchiha said:

So I am almost exactly 13k coal from getting Smolensk, which is probably about a week if I'm lucky with containers and complete all my missions.

I was initially planning to get Yoshino, but then I remembered that a ship as strong as Smolensk is may or may not be removed if the community decides it's too strong. A bit of the Mikhail Kutuzov treatment.

 

So before I get the ship, I'd like to know what the best build for this ship. I've heard people say that IFHE isn't necessary because of the stupid fire chance. I've also heard people say to her IFHE because it helps damage cruisers while the fire chance is still decent.

I'm also curious about a range build for it. Is it worth it or is it best to stick to around 16km range?

 

Any thoughts are appreciated.

PT

LS, JoaT

BFT, SI

AFT, CE

i used main gun 3 instead of range mod. Pretty floaty at 16 km. No IHFE needed. It racks up the dmg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[JUGS]
Members
30 posts
6,671 battles

Well, I just got Smolensk after getting to rank 1 in ranked sprint (only took me 25 battles), so I'll put a generic light cruiser build on it and see how it goes. I'm thinking PT, AR, SI, and AFT as a basic 10 points. Then maybe IFHE, BFT, and Last Stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
738
[TOG]
Members
4,057 posts
21,706 battles

You need to recognize the threats the Smol faces before you decide on a build:

1. Thin armor. The armor can be over penned by AP BB shells, but can be citadeled by HE BB shells. Even FR DD's using AP with  MRB will can a smol in quick order.

2. Torpedoes: Smol has ZERO  torpedo protection. That means a Shima or any other T10 DD can dev strike you while you're sitting in the smoke.

3.   Radar. You have smoke nuff said.

i don't consider air to be enough of a threat. as of last patch. 

So, there are 2 builds you can use:

1. 16.6 km range @ 3.5 second reload. You use MBM3 in slot 5 of the upgrades. I recommend going full stealth also. That means CSM mod 1 in slot 4 of the upgrade and AFT and CE captain skill. That gives you  about 10.1 km visibility.

2. 19.2 km  range @ 4 second reload. You use AMS mod in slot 3,, GFCSM mod 1 in slot 6 and  AFT captain skill. 

Consumables: Choice of either DFAA or hydro. I've been using hydro along with the extended use hydro mod.

Upgrade slots

Slot 1 : MBM mod 1

Slot 2: Propulsion mod 1: 

Slot 3: AA mod 1 or ASM mod 1 (my preference)

Slot 4: Propulsion mod 1

Slot 5: CSM mod 1

Slot 6: MBM3 or GFCM mod 1

CO skills: My recommendations is to use DE for level 3 and AFT for level 4. The question is do you need CE. If you're going to be behind islands or in smoke, a case can be made you don't need it. I'll let you decided the other CO skills.

 

Playstyle:  Use smoke/island cover in the beginning and trade your HP/heal in the end. If you're fond of pulling ambushes, go for the 16.6 km build. If you just want to set every thing on fire, go for the 19.2 km build. 

 

Hope this helps.

 

Play style: For Random, the 19.2 km build is far more comfortable. Sit back and and set everything on fire

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
241
[-V1-]
Members
496 posts
7,691 battles

First, I am a Below Average Player who has the Smolensk and LOVES her!    Once I added the IFHE I noticed a marked increase in the damage numbers she produced.  I also use the increased range build which also increased my damage numbers in her.  I've never been able to hide around islands with any ship as I am immediately sunk.   So I play Smolensk moving constantly in open waters, often in a figure 8 pattern and have had success with that.    I rarely have used Smoke except when hurt and then to escape and move to another area of the map.  

While the above-average to Super Great players who seem to uniformly hate this ship and demand she be nerfed, I view it as;   FINALLY! a ship for the "Pinatas" of the game to enjoy!   A ship that enables us "Pinatas" to "hold our own" and even winning occasionally for a change!     Out of the hundreds of ships in the game is it so wrong that one ship levels the field a bit for those of us who play our hardest, while being farmed for easy points by the great ones?    Nor do you hear/read the "Pinatas" screaming, kicking, and venting our rage every time we are sunk.      

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
408
[Y0L0W]
Members
1,054 posts
36,922 battles
8 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

Nor do you hear/read the "Pinatas" screaming, kicking, and venting our rage every time we are sunk.      

Actually valid point, no matter how we perceive this. Thank you for bringing up this from interesting perspective

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
738
[TOG]
Members
4,057 posts
21,706 battles
1 hour ago, dbw86 said:

First, I am a Below Average Player who has the Smolensk and LOVES her!    Once I added the IFHE I noticed a marked increase in the damage numbers she produced.  I also use the increased range build which also increased my damage numbers in her.  I've never been able to hide around islands with any ship as I am immediately sunk.   So I play Smolensk moving constantly in open waters, often in a figure 8 pattern and have had success with that.    I rarely have used Smoke except when hurt and then to escape and move to another area of the map.  

While the above-average to Super Great players who seem to uniformly hate this ship and demand she be nerfed, I view it as;   FINALLY! a ship for the "Pinatas" of the game to enjoy!   A ship that enables us "Pinatas" to "hold our own" and even winning occasionally for a change!     Out of the hundreds of ships in the game is it so wrong that one ship levels the field a bit for those of us who play our hardest, while being farmed for easy points by the great ones?    Nor do you hear/read the "Pinatas" screaming, kicking, and venting our rage every time we are sunk.      

Don't need IFHE. Roasting ships is the way to go wtih DE. Set 1 ship on fire, go on to the next 2 and go back to #1. Exhibit A:

 

257495175_Smolenskburn.thumb.jpg.ab85713b98eb50e3afa90291d2f6eaaf.jpg

Game was over in 9 min. My targets were 3 BB's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
209
[BIER]
Members
361 posts
5,703 battles
On 10/9/2019 at 2:03 AM, dbw86 said:

First, I am a Below Average Player who has the Smolensk and LOVES her!    Once I added the IFHE I noticed a marked increase in the damage numbers she produced.  I also use the increased range build which also increased my damage numbers in her.  I've never been able to hide around islands with any ship as I am immediately sunk.   So I play Smolensk moving constantly in open waters, often in a figure 8 pattern and have had success with that.    I rarely have used Smoke except when hurt and then to escape and move to another area of the map.  

While the above-average to Super Great players who seem to uniformly hate this ship and demand she be nerfed, I view it as;   FINALLY! a ship for the "Pinatas" of the game to enjoy!   A ship that enables us "Pinatas" to "hold our own" and even winning occasionally for a change!     Out of the hundreds of ships in the game is it so wrong that one ship levels the field a bit for those of us who play our hardest, while being farmed for easy points by the great ones?    Nor do you hear/read the "Pinatas" screaming, kicking, and venting our rage every time we are sunk.      

Why don't we just have WG sell you a ship with an Instant Death Ray on it then? I mean, that's FUN, right! Makes everything better in the game.  You should be able to, with no effort, skill, or work, to just kill anything that moves, right?

Why bother to learn anything. Just blow stuff away, because your ship has no effective counters.

 

The reason Smolensk is hated is because it reduces the game to one where all you do is hold down the left mouse button, and your opponent has no recourse but die.  That's ludicrously dumb, and extraordinarily frustrating to play against.  It's hardly the only one - Haragumo, Kitakaze, and Colbert are others that are moronically bad for the game, and should be nerfed hard.

There should be ZERO ships that do this. If you want to just shoot ships, play CoOp. Random has no place for "instant win" ships, and the Smolensk is a prime candidate for that title.  Making it easy for people who put no effort into the game is the very definition of dumbing the game down. It might be fun for YOU to play, but it makes EVERYONE ELSE frustrated.  That's absolutely wrong.

 

 

Edited by LAnybody
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,226
[WORX]
Members
8,073 posts
16,743 battles
On 10/12/2019 at 9:07 AM, LAnybody said:

Why don't we just have WG sell you a ship with an Instant Death Ray on it then? I mean, that's FUN, right!

To late, BB AP has been destroying high tier game play since the AP changes of 2018... According to the BB drivers, high tiers is fun...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95
[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,134 posts
13,438 battles

Now I have a heads up. They haven't singled out my T8BBs yet, but we had one get 8 kills yesterday and 5 today in randoms. What a ship.

Will stay plum away from them as best as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
244
[FOG]
Members
697 posts
6,747 battles

In terms of Captain builds I am using the following:

PT, PM

AR

DE

IFHE, AFT, CE

@Bill_Halsey's posting guides you as to modules and upgrades....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×