You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Italian Event Directives Preview: Mamma Mia, here we go again!

61 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles

So I went to the PTS and I copied down the Italian Event directives as a basic skeleton (without amounts to be achieved, because the numbers will change on the live server anyway). I didn't take a good look at Halloween because I had too much playing I wanted to do on the live server in too little time.

Here's the basic structure:

4 Directives, 6 missions to finish in each. Tier 5 ships and up only. All tasks are valid in Random, Co-Op and Ranked (hereafter "3 modes"), while some are also valid in Clan Battles and what the PTS was calling "Savage Battles" (which I think means the new "P vs P and E" Halloween mode), which I'm going to call "5 modes".

DIRECTIVE 1: Awards 2 Italian crates, 200 tokens. All missions award 20 tokens. Likely opening date OCTOBER 16.  Complete any six of the following:

Win battles (3 modes).

Earn credits (3 modes) - note that the reward is 300,000 credits, which implies a 3 million credit grind. Spread over 26 days, that's just 115,385 credits per day.

Earn base XP (3 modes)

Earn spotting damage. (3 modes)

Kill ships. (3 modes)

Tank potential damage (3 modes)

Cause damage. (3 modes)

ITALIAN CRUISER GENOVA ONLY: Earn a smaller amount of credits. (How to get her in the PTS is as yet unclear.) 3 modes

ITALIAN SHIPS TIER 5 TO 8 (Edit: per the main page news article, this has been confirmed to mean "Early-release Italian Tech-tree cruisers"): Earn a smaller amount of XP. 3 modes

Presuming an October 16 start, 5 days of play are available before Directive 2 unlocks.

DIRECTIVE 2: Awards 2 Italian crates, 250 tokens. Opens October 21 for all who have satisfied Directive 1. Complete any six of the following (3 modes unless otherwise stated)

Earn commander XP (5 modes, i.e. new Halloween mode and clan battles are also included)

Spot torpedoes

Join the top 5 in X number of battles fought.

Earn credits - 5 modes. The prize is 500K credits, which makes me think the grind is FIVE MILLION. However, you will have 21 days of play in which to complete it, or roughly 238,100 credits per night before service costs.

Gain secondary hits OR main battery hits or both.

Earn base XP (5 modes)

Get torpedo hits (both aircraft and ship torps are specified)

ITALIAN CRUISER GENOVA ONLY: Do a lesser amount of damage (random or co-op ONLY, as T5 not eligible for ranked)

Italian Earlybird cruisers T5-8: Earn a lesser quantity of credits.

7 days of play are available before Directive 3 unlocks.

DIRECTIVE 3: Awards 3 crates, 250 credits. Opens October 28. Complete any six of the following. 3 modes (random, co-op, ranked) unless otherwise stated.

Earn XP (5 modes)

Do a certain amount of damage.

Kill a certain number of ships.

Earn credits (5 modes). The prize is 800K credits, which makes me think this grind will be a whopping EIGHT MILLION. However, with 14 days available to complete it, that's just 571,429 credits (rounding up) per night before service cost deduction.

Earn base XP (5 modes).

Tank damage.

Damage modules.

GENOVA: Win a certain number of battles (random, co-op).

Italian Earlybird cruisers Tier 5 to 8 - get a lesser number of kills.

7 days of play are available before Directive 4 unlocks.

DIRECTIVE 4: Gives 3 crates and 250 tokens. Per the patch notes released 15 October, this will be any EIGHT of the following. 3 modes (ranked, co-op, randoms) unless otherwise stated.

Get citadel hits, fires, torp hits and floods.

Earn commander XP (5 modes).

Win battles.

Earn XP (5 modes).

Inflict damage.

Earn base XP in carriers - 3 modes, Tier 6 and up.

Earn base XP in BB - 5 modes.

Earn base XP in destroyers - 5 modes.

Earn base XP in cruisers - 5 modes.

ITALIAN CRUISER GENOVA: Earn a lesser amount of XP (co-op, randoms)

Italian earlybird cruisers, T5 to T8 - Do a lesser amount of damage.

7 days of play are available before all directives lock up. You must ensure completion by close of play on Sunday 10 November.

Remember:

1) You don't have to do all the missions in every directive to complete that directive.

2) Every credit you earn counts toward the credit missions; service, ammo etc. costs aren't counted for those.

3) Once you've completed the minimum requirements for a directive, unfinished missions continue to be worked on (this is important for large cash grinds). 

4) Divide whatever the task is by the number of days you have to do that directive; it makes the bigger tasks seem easier.

The credit grinds are REALLY steep this time around; on the other hand, it's not that hard to bypass them. In addition, they are all done by the end of directive 3 and you have until the end of directive 4 to complete the lot (if you choose to do so). They don't add up - the same 100,000 credits you earn in directive 3 will count towards ALL THREE of the cash grinds.

No idea yet exactly how long we will have for each directive - with any luck, it will be seven days for each (News Page release below supports 7 days for each directive except the first, which is probably 5 days).

image.thumb.png.5bc10691dc2436779203ea2b06df1b9b.png

It appears (but wait for live server confirmation) that the Genova will be the (or at least an) ultimate prize for this event. Details HERE: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/italian-cruisers-the-rules/ .

It also looks as though Premium Italian containers will have Italian tokens in case you need to make up that last little bit.

Those contemplating buying the Genova immediately for an easy bypass should pay close attention to what they offer the duplicate for. It OUGHT to be doubloons, but please double-check to avoid disappointment. (EDIT: News page 7 October confirms doubloons, a captain and a port slot if you already have the ship when you win her).

Remember that buying premium containers solely to get early unlocks for tech-tree ships is paying money to get free stuff. Unless you want the guaranteed content of the boxes and believe it to be value for money, this is a bad idea and will only lead to lots of salt. Wait for details on the cost of the boxes, the number of tokens they contain and the list price of the Genova before you spam them just to get her. 

I will update this post, or create another one, once the directives go live and the tasks and prizes are finalised. Start your planning now, and remember that for many of these missions, co-op is your friend.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 12
  • Boring 5

[-PVE-]
Members
253 posts
13,017 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Remember that buying premium containers solely to get early unlocks for tech-tree ships is paying money to get free stuff.

Funny how game companies have learned how to sell free stuff to people. Good post, thanks.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,616 posts
8,595 battles

Well, I've been looking to take a patch off (from doing directives/missions).  Looks like I found one.

• Cool 4

Members
1,072 posts

I'm reading the 'Italian ships T5-8' as a 'shortcut' you can use if you have those ships.  I have all 4, so unless the credits are huge, might be a good shortcut.  Otherwise, looks pretty conventional.

I am enjoying the current directives, mainly because just playing in a couple of evenings in the week plus Friday night, I'm all caught up till Monday, and I can just do flakes and play what I feel like today and tomorrow.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
3 hours ago, Mykawa said:

Funny how game companies have learned how to sell free stuff to people. Good post, thanks.

I'm actually not intending any criticism of WG here. It's not WG's fault that stupid people spam hundreds of dollars to get stuff they could obtain either free or cheaper (by getting doubloons to convert elite XP to free). 

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,032 posts
17,512 battles
3 hours ago, Mykawa said:

I was stunned how many Mogadors I saw before they were released on the tech tree :cap_wander_2:

2 hours ago, agm114r said:

I'm reading the 'Italian ships T5-8' as a 'shortcut' you can use if you have those ships.  I have all 4, so unless the credits are huge, might be a good shortcut.  Otherwise, looks pretty conventional.

I am enjoying the current directives, mainly because just playing in a couple of evenings in the week plus Friday night, I'm all caught up till Monday, and I can just do flakes and play what I feel like today and tomorrow.

I’m not reading it that way at all: every French premium but Terrible was excluded from the French directives.  I think what they mean is, T5-8 Italian early access cruisers.

Edited by FrodoFraggin

Members
1,072 posts
1 minute ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I was stunned how many Mogadors I saw before they were released on the tech tree :cap_wander_2:

I’m not reading it that way at all: every French premium but Terrible was excluded from the French directives.  I think what they mean is, T5-8 Italian early access cruisers.

Well, I was taking a break then, so I wasn't there for that. 

I guess it'll be one way or the other, or both.  Out of my hands.  Thanks for noting the possibility, though.

[NSEW]
Members
1,861 posts
10,724 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

4 Directives, 6 missions to finish in each. Tier 5 ships and up only.

The highlighted above in bold is what irks me. WG seems to only encourage medium to high tier game play modes. I understand that it's to promote players to stay with the title by grinding up.  But it also alienates the lower tier players (new players) to feel included. 

[EQRN]
Members
2,032 posts
17,512 battles
6 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

The highlighted above in bold is what irks me. WG seems to only encourage medium to high tier game play modes. I understand that it's to promote players to stay with the title by grinding up.  But it also alienates the lower tier players (new players) to feel included. 

Events used to be T3 and up.  Guess how much fun that was for newbies.  T5 and up is to protect new players.  It really isn’t that hard to get up to T5 even just playing co op.

• Cool 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,073 posts
3,875 battles

To me it's the Base XP missions that are a grind...at least there are flags and camos as well as premium time for XP and credits. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
2 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Events used to be T3 and up.  Guess how much fun that was for newbies.  T5 and up is to protect new players.  It really isn’t that hard to get up to T5 even just playing co op.

Yes.  Do we need to find excuses for veteran players to bust out their Konig Alberts, Imperator Nikolais, Clemsons, Derzkis, etc? :Smile_trollface:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
2 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

TBH, I'm not sure the protection argument carries as much weight any more. With the way things used to be and PvP being required, Tier 4 newbs fighting directly against unicums was a recipe for misery, and even a couple of tiers higher things could be quite miserable.

These days, with most if not all missions capable of being completed in Co-op (if you play long and hard enough), there's no reason to keep things that way; even the newest player in a shiny, newly-bought T6 premium never has to directly face experienced veterans. 

Members
3,100 posts
6,691 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu I think it's probably a safe assumption that the Genova tasks will follow the same path as the Hill tasks did a couple iterations ago - it's the reward ship, but if you buy it early, you can use it to complete some (noticeably easier compared to the other) directive tasks and then get doubloons for it when you earn it by completing the last directive. 

In the anniversary stream, MrConway and Crysantos said that the Italian commander will be available based on collection completion, so I am guessing either the Italian cruisers collection will give us the commander as a final reward or whatever boxes come in the next one or two patches will do so.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,918 posts
26,913 battles

Earn credits: Missouri+GamesCon dark camo+dragon flags+zulu flag=win

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes.  Do we need to find excuses for veteran players to bust out their Konig Alberts, Imperator Nikolais, Clemsons, Derzkis, etc? :Smile_trollface:

That may be the case, but I could still use some more incentive to bring out Mikasa and Emden. :Smile-_tongue:

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,073 posts
3,875 battles

On the current directives for the anniversary and the Aircraft Carrier missions, I'm reminded that since I no longer have my T5 Bogue and was downgraded to Langley, I can't complete those missions that require T5 and higher ships.  You'd think they would make an exception for CVs in that case, since there are no T5 CVs currently.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
20 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Remember that buying premium containers solely to get early unlocks for tech-tree ships is paying money to get free stuff. Unless you want the guaranteed content of the boxes and believe it to be value for money, this is a bad idea and will only lead to lots of salt. Wait for details on the cost of the boxes, the number of tokens they contain and the list price of the Genova before you spam them just to get her. 

I will update this post, or create another one, once the directives go live and the tasks and prizes are finalised. Start your planning now, and remember that for many of these missions, co-op is your friend.

This is all very well and good Cthulhu though your constant warnings towards others in the effort to abate disaster is detracting a great deal from salt production. I will ask you again to desist. Salt is the lifeblood of the internet, what will it become if it is eliminated entirely? Have you ever thought about that?

Edited by Sumseaman
  • Funny 2

Members
1,072 posts
13 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Heh.  Hmm, I have Konig Albert, Nikolai, Clemson, Derpski, the Wyoming shotgun, St. Louis, Bogatyr, and some others.  :cap_horn:

Members
1,072 posts
2 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Earn credits: Missouri+GamesCon dark camo+dragon flags+zulu flag=win

Massachusetts comes pretty close with that camo/flag setup.  And usually more fun!  (Not that Missouri's bad, but the fires from those secondaries...)

[ARGSY]
6,918 posts
26,913 battles
16 minutes ago, agm114r said:

Massachusetts comes pretty close with that camo/flag setup.  And usually more fun!  (Not that Missouri's bad, but the fires from those secondaries...)

I have both and I doubt that the Mass comes close. Yes, you can earn well. But the Missouri is still the gold standart of WoWs credit earning.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
58 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

This is all very well and good Cthulhu though your constant warnings towards others in the effort to abate disaster is detracting a great deal from salt production. I will ask you again to desist. Salt is the lifeblood of the internet, what will it become if it is eliminated entirely? Have you ever thought about that?

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. After all carriers and radar are still a thing, plus subs are coming.

[B-Z]
Members
1,680 posts
17,965 battles
19 hours ago, agm114r said:

It will likely be the ones from the event, not existing ones. Gotta monetise it as much as possible!

Members
115 posts
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Charleston/St. Louis and Oleg/Bogatyr are usually good for a quick fist daily container too.