You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AquaWhale

Lets talk about USS Ohio

20 comments in this topic

[13TH]
Members
7 posts
1,845 battles

Hello all.

First, I am a pretty casual player, not the best by a long shot, and this is only my opinion.

I own both the Georgia and the Ohio. The former, one I have very much enjoyed for quite a while, and the latter, one I have grinded much for and was pumped to own it when I heard it was coming out. I at first thought 5+ regrinds was simply not worth it, for any ship, but watching the Youtube reviews of its WiP gameplay, I was stoked. I mean, here was a T10 Georgia, which gave up 10kts speed for more firepower and greater survivability with its improved heal. So they release it, and I buy it, as I had passed up on the Colbert to do so.

Man, was I disappointed. When it was all said and done, instead of the forementioned ship, I basically received a Georgia which gave up 10+ kts of speed for a shorter ranged, slower reloading, less accurate 4th turret. After about 50 or so battles, I have to say something.

Can the Ohio be returned to its WiP state? Can we please make this VERY hard and costly to get ship at least somewhat decent compared to its T9 sister? I mean, game after game of facing kremlins which absolutely whip her down even inside of secondary range gets pretty old. Why is this Russian tech tree battleship more effective then a USN exclusive that is rarer then Stalingrad? Shouldn't we have at least 1 super rare, powerful USN ship, especially in the age of Smolensk?

Edited by AquaWhale

[NMKJT]
Members
2,251 posts
6,238 battles
3 minutes ago, AquaWhale said:

Can the Ohio be returned to its WiP state? Can we please make this VERY hard and costly to get ship at least somewhat decent compared to its T9 sister? I mean, game after game of facing kremlins which absolutely whip her down even inside of secondary range gets pretty old. Why is this Russian tech tree battleship more effective then a USN exclusive that is rarer then Stalingrad? Shouldn't we have at least 1 super rare, powerful USN ship, especially in the age of Smolensk?

We do. It's Georgia. Kremlin is what needs to be corrected, not Ohio brought up to its level of overtunedness.

Nothing can be done about Geo, by WG's admission that reward ships can be nerfed since no one paid money for them. People paid money directly for Geo, so she will stay as she is. You'll always have Geo.

The regrind process is indeed annoying and I can sympathize with feeling let down at the end of it, but the game doesn't need more monsters than it has already.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[13TH]
Members
7 posts
1,845 battles
1 minute ago, MnemonScarlet said:

We do. It's Georgia. Kremlin is what needs to be corrected, not Ohio brought up to its level of overtunedness.

Nothing can be done about Geo, by WG's admission that reward ships can be nerfed since no one paid money for them. People paid money directly for Geo, so she will stay as she is. You'll always have Geo.

The regrind process is indeed annoying and I can sympathize with feeling let down at the end of it, but the game doesn't need more monsters than it has already.

The USS Georgia isn't rare, neither is it all that powerful. The Stalingrad is both. The improvement between the Kronshtadt and Stalingrad is stark and defined. Why not follow this trend for the USN Exclusive ships?

Not asking for a monster either, simply somewhat of an improvement over Georgia, not massive tradeoffs, that's all.

[13TH]
Members
7 posts
1,845 battles
5 minutes ago, TheArc said:

FYI there is a nerf coming for Kremlin too

You mean this "Nerf"? 

"Reduced max damage of AP shells from 15500 to 14500 and changed other related parameters (Krupp parameter and the mass of the projectile). * To match AP shells, also reduced the maximum damage of HE shells from 6600 to 6500, the chance of fire from 48% to 45% and other related parameters (weight of shells, splash damage)"

So 1000 dmg off on Cit alpha, and 3 percent to fire chance?  No nerf to kremlin's accuracy / aa / turrets / stealth means no nerf at all.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[POP]
Members
550 posts
6,381 battles

Here's the catch 22 with the Ohio, she's a pain to grind or super expensive to purchase yet she still has to be balanced.  If they make her too strong people will scream P2W even more than they already do, if they don't make her OP, few people will find her worth the cost(time or money).  In the end I think what you will have something that is fairly rare and exclusive, not because she is much better than anything else or because she is difficult to attain but because for most everyone else she was just not worth it.   I love my Massachusetts and my Georgia however I will never regrind 5 - t10 lines to get 1 - t 10 ship and there is no way I am dropping 400.00 to convert XP on a ship that will likely get power crept just like every other ship in the game.  On top of that, to be frank I don't really care much for T10 MM anyway, I'd rather play T8 and risk getting bottom tier.  

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,146 posts
4,464 battles

Stalingrad is only strong in certain situations. A lot of people found this out in the last tier 10 ranked... Des Moines, Salem can bow tank and DPM it to death. Hindy/Henri can burn it down.  

You want tier 10 similar to Georgia get the Republique.

[13TH]
Members
7 posts
1,845 battles
1 minute ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Stalingrad is only strong in certain situations. A lot of people found this out in the last tier 10 ranked... Des Moines, Salem can bow tank and DPM it to death. Hindy/Henri can burn it down.  

You want tier 10 similar to Georgia get the Republique.

I understand, but I was comparing it to Kron. Stalingrad is an improvement over Kron, in a way that Ohio isn't over Georgia.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,251 posts
6,238 battles
5 minutes ago, AquaWhale said:

The USS Georgia isn't rare, neither is it all that powerful. The Stalingrad is both. The improvement between the Kronshtadt and Stalingrad is stark and defined. Why not follow this trend for the USN Exclusive ships?

Not asking for a monster either, simply somewhat of an improvement over Georgia, not massive tradeoffs, that's all.

She can match most all T10 BBs blow for blow in battle influence, and rolls over all T9 ones but JB. She's very powerful. I'd certainly sail her over my Montana.

5 minutes ago, AquaWhale said:

So 1000 dmg off on Cit alpha, and 3 percent to fire chance?  No nerf to kremlin's accuracy / aa / turrets / stealth means no nerf at all. 

That's a crap nerf. WG knows very well they have to tame that thing, they're trying to tiptoe around it. Hopefully Kreml gets a real nerf at some point.

[13TH]
Members
7 posts
1,845 battles
7 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

She can match most all T10 BBs blow for blow in battle influence, and rolls over all T9 ones but JB. She's very powerful. I'd certainly sail her over my Montana.

That's a crap nerf. WG knows very well they have to tame that thing, they're trying to tiptoe around it. Hopefully Kreml gets a real nerf at some point.

So your saying keep Ohio in its current state, harder to obtain and less influential than Georgia at t10? For some reason that just doesn't sit well with me. Not with so many other ships at her tier which would need massive nerfs to accomplish balance, instead of just raising the bar a bit on this one ship, as it can always be rebalanced later.

Edited by AquaWhale
  • Boring 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,251 posts
6,238 battles
8 minutes ago, AquaWhale said:

So your saying keep Ohio in its current state, harder to obtain and less influential than Georgia at t10? For some reason that just doesn't sit well with me. Not with so many other ships at her tier which would need massive nerfs to accomplish balance, instead of just raising the bar a bit on this one ship, as it can always be rebalanced later.

But what would you even want for Ohio? Remember, WG swapped the supercruiser dispersion to Thunderer, which has a worse armor profile (above water citadel) with no 5"/54s. So Thunderer has the MB accuracy, but none of Ohio's other upsides. Not even the magical RN heal, it's just the fast heal (IIRC).

If Ohio got Geo's speedboost, then it'd be something that goes 38 knots or so rushing down people with those secondaries. Geo is less scary there since the 5"/38s are a lot less effective.

So I'm not sure what Ohio could get as a buff that wouldn't be overtuning her.

[13TH]
Members
7 posts
1,845 battles
2 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

But what would you even want for Ohio? Remember, WG swapped the supercruiser dispersion to Thunderer, which has a worse armor profile (above water citadel) with no 5"/54s. So Thunderer has the MB accuracy, but none of Ohio's other upsides. Not even the magical RN heal, it's just the fast heal (IIRC).

If Ohio got Geo's speedboost, then it'd be something that goes 38 knots or so rushing down people with those secondaries. Geo is less scary there since the 5"/38s are a lot less effective.

So I'm not sure what Ohio could get as a buff that wouldn't be overtuning her.

Its heal back maybe? georgias dispersion wouldn't be bad either

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,429 posts
20,527 battles

Slap on ASM1 + MBM3 on Thunderer.  22.9 seconds reload before AR kicks in.  Ohio has base reload of 27 seconds, Thunderer has 26 seconds.

Because of the peculiar upgrade slotting for IX-X USN BBs, Ohio cannot take APRM2 (accuracy) and MBM3 (reload) at the same time as both compete for the same spot in Slot 6 upgrades.  One or the other, but Thunderer can improve both because ASM1 is Slot 3 and MBM3 is Slot 6.

Mega HE on top of powerful AP shells.

VASTLY SUPERIOR Rudder Shift:  10.4 seconds on Thunderer, 18.6 seconds on Ohio

Better turning circle radius:  Thunderer is 820m, Ohio is 950m.

30kts for Thunderer, faster than Ohio's 28kts.

Stealthier than Ohio.  Stealth Build Thunder goes down to 12.3km detection range, Ohio is 14km.

Ohio requires a ridiculous grind or the sacrifice of tons of FreeXP, possibly Doubloons for some.  Thunderer costs coal.

3bsmn2.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GRETA]
Members
524 posts
15,831 battles
46 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Remember when Yamato was overperforming over the Montana, they dropped her heal from 33% to 16%.

But if a Russian ship outperforms all other BBs, it gets a miniscule 1.5% nerf to HE and 6.5% nerf to AP.

Come on WG, let's really cut up this grossly overpowered ship down to size, starting with the ridiculous 60mm deck and 46% torpedo reduction. And why does a close range BB need Montana sigma (1.9)?

[NMKJT]
Members
2,251 posts
6,238 battles
1 hour ago, AquaWhale said:

Its heal back maybe? georgias dispersion wouldn't be bad either

I'd forgetten they even nerfed the heal, the rest of it overshadowed that. That might be the first thing they bring back. I could see them giving supercruiser dispersion back to Ohio, but I wouldn't see it staying long. Kreml needs a substantial nerf of some kind.

21 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

VASTLY SUPERIOR Rudder Shift:  10.4 seconds on Thunderer, 18.6 seconds on Ohio

The rudder shift is nice, but I overlooked the turning radius. That's what would really sell me on agility. Most T10 BBs wallow around like megawhales, seeing close to 800m radius is ridiculous.

But at least they can nerf Thunderer if she's too strong.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[WOLF3]
Members
22,429 posts
20,527 battles
18 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

I'd forgetten they even nerfed the heal, the rest of it overshadowed that. That might be the first thing they bring back. I could see them giving supercruiser dispersion back to Ohio, but I wouldn't see it staying long. Kreml needs a substantial nerf of some kind.

The rudder shift is nice, but I overlooked the turning radius. That's what would really sell me on agility. Most T10 BBs wallow around like megawhales, seeing close to 800m radius is ridiculous.

But at least they can nerf Thunderer if she's too strong.

Turning circle radius?

Thunderer / Conqueror 820m

Ohio / Montana 950m

Kremlin 1090m

GK 1050m

Yamato 900m

Republique 980m

Bourgogne 910m

I'll have to add that to the list in my earlier post, at least for Thunder and Ohio :Smile_trollface:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,259 posts
6,088 battles

i warned day after day that kreml would be KING,but noo "we have yamato,we have montana."(and that weird guy talking about GK,lol)

now i see nothing but scrapped metal and tears. that "nerf" is WG showing that they don't intend to nerf SUPERIOR soviet spaceship kreml.

Edited by Cruxdei

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,855 posts
9,017 battles

My guess is that they realized that Georgia was too strong on release so they didn't give Ohio many of its benefits. I'm surprised that more people aren't upset over Georgia especially with what it did to ranked, I think the Soviet BB line took all of the complaints. As if the NA forums would complain about a USN ship unless it was underpowered anyway.

[TNG-2]
Members
2,046 posts
4,331 battles

Kremlin is more OP in its current form than Smolensk. It can drag anyone across the finish line kicking and screaming. 

The dispersion on that thing is frecking insane. Better than cruisers at some point. Needs a massive nerf.

Beta Testers
645 posts
2,235 battles
8 hours ago, AquaWhale said:

You mean this "Nerf"? 

"Reduced max damage of AP shells from 15500 to 14500 and changed other related parameters (Krupp parameter and the mass of the projectile). * To match AP shells, also reduced the maximum damage of HE shells from 6600 to 6500, the chance of fire from 48% to 45% and other related parameters (weight of shells, splash damage)"

Its a 7-10% damage nerf for a battleship. Battleships can only fire so many salvos per game. 

Its something but top speed and turret speed reductions are also needed. And physically justified. The ship carries an impractical amount of armor.