You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gin_Blossoms

Smolensk has Improved High Tier Play

49 comments in this topic

[-FH-]
Members
195 posts

With the arrival of the Smolensk, there has been a laundry list of threads on both reddit and here (and likely in the private clan discord channels) where Community Contributors, Supertesters, and everyday players have voiced their concerns about the Smolensk, stating it is overpowered.  Many elude to its reduction of fun in the game as it sits in smoke and can farm damage uncontested.  I have actually found the opposite effect since the Smolensk has come to play.  For me, the biggest difference is the matchmaking, which I am really enjoying.  With so many Smolensk in the game (usually two on each side) there has been a significant reduction in USN ships with radar.  Actually, radar in general is down.  I patrol these forums regularly, looking for nuggets of wisdom in how I can improve my play and get my destroyers to work around radar issues.  I guess the best solution is to see more ships like Smolensk in the game, which will reduce the radar platforms available to the 12 man roster, of which the top five will always be battleships.  Fortunately, Smolensk (and even Colbert although only slightly) has changed the paradigm of the mm queue.   I am thankful for this.  I would encourage Wargaming Staff to continue their efforts in finding new and inventive solutions to the over-spam of radar ships at high tiers.  I'll take a smoke firing battleship farmer that is relatively balanced to a ship with useable consumables like a Salem that can radar me when I am in the cap.  Radar makes me grouchy and I for one am happy to see this reduction come about.  For me, the Smolensk has improved high tier play and I hope to see as many as five of them on each team so my DDs can get really dirty!

What do you all think?

• Cool 11
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 2
  • Angry 1

[SUCIT]
Members
577 posts
15,450 battles
8 minutes ago, Gin_Blossoms said:

I'll take a smoke firing battleship farmer that is relatively balanced

I have never seen the words "Relatively Balanced" describe Smolensk before.

9 minutes ago, Gin_Blossoms said:

a ship with useable consumables like a Salem that can radar me when I am in the cap.

if a Salem with an 8.5km radar is in a cap radaring you, what the f*ck has gone wrong?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3
  • Confused 1

[TSF_1]
Members
3,174 posts
6,996 battles
4 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

if a Salem with an 8.5km radar is in a cap radaring you, what the f*ck has gone wrong?

Both of these. If you're being radared by a Salem, you've already misplayed your DD.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,142 posts
4,464 battles
3 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Pretty much... :cap_haloween:

I don't even run radar on the Salem.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,970 posts
9,117 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

So the solution is to spam even more he spammers?

Wargaming be like:

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[MLPVA]
Members
330 posts
3,852 battles
25 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Stop saying the Smolensk is OP.  There is no such thing as an OP ship.

I'm gonna need the name and number of your dealer, 'cause if the stuff he's selling can put you in this deep into fantasy land, I want some.

• Funny 2

[INTEL]
Members
11,329 posts
31,775 battles
54 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Stop saying the Smolensk is OP.  There is no such thing as an OP ship.

Then Nik, kooter, and payfast are not available because...?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,970 posts
9,117 battles
7 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

They're sleeping.  Shhhhhh. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Members
3,932 posts
4,205 battles
2 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Salem decided to be cheeky by taking B solo and is now playing chicken on the other side of the landmass from a DD.

Edited by Yoshiblue

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,018 posts
17,121 battles

I am one of the few that proves Smolensk is not OP....

But I try.....

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles

I will never understand the people who defend HE spam. It's not a fun strategy and it kills high tier play. It's the prevalence of fires at high tiers that leads to every ship being forced into surviability builds in order to survive the rain of HE shells from cancer like the Smolensk, Harugumo, Worcester, Conqueror, etc.

There's no counterplay to it, either beyond hoping you don't get hit. At least with AP you can try to angle to get ricochets but what's the defense against HE? "Use Damage Control better" is the default stupid advise I get. If you wait for multiple fires to get lit before repairing it, you are just taking more damage. And as soon as the Damage Con wears off you'll just get set on fire again immediately after Damage Con wears off.

Honestly, Damage Con needs to give you temporary immunity to new fires/flooding/incapacitates for a brief period after the action time of the consumable ends.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 1

[WOLFG]
Members
495 posts
7 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

I will never understand the people who defend HE spam. It's not a fun strategy and it kills high tier play. It's the prevalence of fires at high tiers that leads to every ship being forced into surviability builds in order to survive the rain of HE shells from cancer like the Smolensk, Harugumo, Worcester, Conqueror, etc.

There's no counterplay to it, either beyond hoping you don't get hit. At least with AP you can try to angle to get ricochets but what's the defense against HE? "Use Damage Control better" is the default stupid advise I get. If you wait for multiple fires to get lit before repairing it, you are just taking more damage. And as soon as the Damage Con wears off you'll just get set on fire again immediately after Damage Con wears off.

Honestly, Damage Con needs to give you temporary immunity to new fires/flooding/incapacitates for a brief period after the action time of the consumable ends.

Why don't we just give BBs total immunity to everything.  We could just have Cruisers park in front of you with a big 'free kill' sign  on  them.  Would that make you happy?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[FML]
Members
3,160 posts
13,471 battles
6 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Why don't we just give BBs total immunity to everything.  We could just have Cruisers park in front of you with a big 'free kill' sign  on  them.  Would that make you happy?

Tbh, he’d still complain that dispersion robbed him from a one-shot kill. 

• Funny 2

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
8,419 battles
48 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Nice strawman. Don't get too close to any sparks, though, or you might catch fire.

Members
1,059 posts
6,020 battles
7 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Arent they? For $5k usd of santa crates? Enjoy that 0.001% chance... :Smile_coin:

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,855 posts
9,017 battles
4 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Damage control makes you take no damage from fires, that is the counter. While its active you are immune to fires, if you mount the special module you can get a long time of fire immunity especially on USN BBs. Without HE we would have the strongest class in WoWs, BBs be even stronger as they would easily make themselves almost immune to damage. This happened several times in ranked metas and it ruined the game experience.

Members
2,032 posts
4,282 battles

Only thing Smolensk has done is make a potato team atleast work together for the few seconds it has been spotted.

I remember having 5+ people targeting me in beginning of match when a DD temporarily spotted me. Was funny.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,108 posts
10,571 battles
9 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Your forgotten Konig Albert on that list.

[VFW]
Members
1,269 posts
25,466 battles

First, I do agree that the Smolensk is a strong ship but....

1)  Please stop complaining about "HE spam".  It's been a part of the game since the beginning and there are counters (mainly, sink the spammer, use DC and repair smartly, etc...)

2)  OP comment on reduction of radar ships at high tier.  Slight change in perceptive...not necessarily due to the number of Smolensk, but the ability of the Smolensk to reliably hit said radar ships. 

Since most all radar ships need to be with 8.5 -11.7km of intended radar target (T8-10), many will try to be in a position to fire at said target (whether partial island cover, barrowed smoke or open water).  Range of Smolensk if position correctly, will punish the radar offender  (I've done it many times).

3)  OP being criticized that if radared in a DD, he is doing something wrong.   I disagree in principle with that criticism.

Yes, some DD player overextend and get trapped by radar, but that does not mean that radar is totally avoidable.  If a DD is trying to cap or push a cap, it will be in radar range of decent Cruiser players (and a few DDs and one BB) that position near a cap.   So just saying that a DD messed up because a "Salem" radared it is to simplistic and not correct overall.  

When I play as a DD:

a) I look at the team line up for radar ships (and KMS hydro ships) 

b) look at the map the MM will be played on

c) note most likely places that radar ships will locate on said map,  

d) plan on moving and positioning my DD to reduce the effectiveness of a radar cruiser while still pushing the caps,

e) modify/change my plans based on the enemy locations as the game unfolds. 

f) always plan on an escape route if the ++++ hits the fan.

I enjoy the Smolensk because it adds a different play style for me at high tier (like the Atlanta/Flint at T7).  I've gone against them also, so yes they can be deadly when played correctly.

This is my view and I'm sure I have not listed or pointed out everything but I've always believe that (so far) there are no OP ships....JUST OP PLAYERS.  WG/WoWS has so far worked hard to buck against the gaming industry trend to actually sell OP ships/items (look at WoTs to see results of that bad selling tactic) and I truly hope that WoWS keeps putting out a good game.  I've enjoyed this game for 4 years and want to keep playing for longer.

VR, 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 3