Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

Started the Russian BB line grind.. Any suggestions?

13 comments in this topic

[DUDES]
Members
2,922 posts
5,431 battles

Played around in the GK a bit and then decided it was going to be more fun to start anew and get used to the game running up the low tiers again...  So what better way to do that then run a new line of ships.   I hated the T3 ship, but the T4 ship is a vast improvement.  I will actually play this for a bit before jumping to the T5.  I dropped in an 11 point commander from one of my other ships I had laying around, but I am curious what sort of builds are people going for in this line?  So far the guns are atrocious with regards to dispersion.  About every 4th salvo I will get something that resembles a nice grouping, but most times I wonder why I even bother to aim.  Are the guns that bad or am I just not used to low tier ships.  lol.  Is it worth spec'ing out the secondaries or is this going to be a line that I am going to want to focus on the big mains?

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Supertester
22,146 posts
16,004 battles

Full survival build, and get up in people's faces. RUBBs work best when sharply angled and at sub 10km.

[DUDES]
Members
2,922 posts
5,431 battles
8 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Standard survival build for the captain. Keep the pointy end of the ship towards the bad guy and you are good. Soviet bbs are brawlers best played at shorter ranges. 

So a secondary spec like I have on my GK is the way to go?

Members
2,897 posts
10,699 battles
2 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

So a secondary spec like I have on my GK is the way to go?

No, I wouldnt; they are not secondary ships. They get better main battery dispersion the closer you are to the target. 

Members
1,850 posts
16,108 battles

Good to see you back in the game.   Russian are the best tankers in the game, have fun before the nerfs happen.  Pure survival build, concealment expert is of marginal use at best, so get the survival skills early.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,593 posts
10,811 battles

Let me put it this way - I avoid survival builds, that they have gotten to a point of near mandatory on a BB irks me to no end and they need to at this point adjust repair party and DCP to compensate for the autopen IFHE at higher tiers, and already autopen HE of lower tiers and adjust the burn percent of BB's because they are now literally the only ship that hasn't had it.

But even I put a survival build on my RU BB's. least through tier 6 that I have so far. Not that I've played them a ton between missions and the fact that while I love my German brawlers, and will brawl in the most unconvential ships, for some reason I don't work well with these.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,919 posts
7,557 battles

Accuracy is bad at long range, but outstanding at shorter ranges (<12km).   You also have a short cooldown (but limited uses) damage control.  Both of these lead to soviet BBs being brawlers, but don't rush in too soon, and don't show your sides. 

[WOLF3]
Members
22,444 posts
20,530 battles
1 hour ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I dropped in an 11 point commander from one of my other ships I had laying around, but I am curious what sort of builds are people going for in this line?  So far the guns are atrocious with regards to dispersion.  About every 4th salvo I will get something that resembles a nice grouping, but most times I wonder why I even bother to aim.  Are the guns that bad or am I just not used to low tier ships.  lol.  Is it worth spec'ing out the secondaries or is this going to be a line that I am going to want to focus on the big mains?

RU BB gunnery is peculiar in that past 14km they can be pretty questionable.  But below that, the closer they get, the scarier they can be in how they can rack up hits.  To the level of "Destroyers beware" if they are spotted and are 12km or under.  The bad accuracy you're facing at Tier III & IV is typical for low tier BBs in general, they're all garbage in their accuracy there, that's why DDs get away with YOLO torpedo runs on low tier BBs, because they can't hit sh*t.

The guns really pick up starting with Tier VI Izmail.  Tier VII Sinop's guns are monsters in the tier, IMO the best for Tier VII Battleship guns.  They're still 406mm x9, so Sinop is a highlight of this line.  The remaining 406mm armed RU BBs all feature very high AP Penetration.  Kremlin in Tier X sports 457mm guns and is a beat along with all the other Tier X Battleships.

Secondary Spec or Main Battery focus?

For PVP, I'd only do Main Battery.  Slap on ASM1 and MBM3 at Tier IX-X.  You don't want to get too close for Secondaries range in PVP with RU BBs because of their very pronounced Citadels which can be quite easy to punish harshly.  I'd toss in Survival - Stealth Hybrid Build on them and call it a day.

For PVE, Secondary Spec is viable for some of them, namely at Tier VII, X, because of the often close range nature of PVE and how stupid the bots are.

Key weaknesses to account for:

- Very exposed Citadels, protect them at all costs or see huge chunks of your HP ripped away.

- Your TDS sucks, so any and every torpedo hit against you will hurt badly.

- Your AA sucks, only Tier X Kremlin has fantastic AA, the rest suck very bad.

- RU BBs have fast rudder shift times but their turning circle radius is massive.  This means they respond to maneuvers quickly, but executing turns, they're lazy in doing that.  If that makes sense...  I.e. they get away with unmasking, firing the rear turrets, then remasking them again pretty decently.  But if you need to do drastic maneuvers like a 180 degree turn, RU BBs do this very slowly.  With the exposed Citadel, you're going down if caught doing that.

- Very long hulls.  Lots of real estate for shells and torpedoes to hit if they can see your sides.  From Tier VII on, RU BBs just simply have this weird, pronounced "snout" of a bow.  All kinds of places to hit them with.

- Couple the previous 4 points, Carriers are a big risk to you.  Torpedo Bombers can hurt bad and AP Dive Bombers WILL Citadel you.

- Awesome DCP but limited charges.  DCP2 gives you 4 charges on Tier VII Sinop, for example, it may be worth considering taking SI as part of your Survival Build in PVP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[Y0L0]
Members
10,059 posts
15,063 battles

just don't show sides at all and you will do fine.   angle enough for back turret is perfect   anymore and you get exposed.

[RLGN]
Members
12,043 posts
21,595 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

- Very exposed Citadels, protect them at all costs or see huge chunks of your HP ripped away.

Really?

I wish you’d been around to explain that to the broadside Sinop on PT last night, sub 5k, as my Lyon fired several salvoes of AP at it and was rewarded with jack squat in terms of meaningful damage.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,444 posts
20,530 battles
18 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Really?

I wish you’d been around to explain that to the broadside Sinop on PT last night, sub 5k, as my Lyon fired several salvoes of AP at it and was rewarded with jack squat in terms of meaningful damage.

It doesn't help that Lyon is very wild in her gunnery.  You'll get hits, but not necessarily where you need them to PRECISELY go.

Make that same mistake in a Sinop against  Nagato, Amagi, North Carolina, hell another Sinop... And see how well that goes.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this