You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Frigate007

Getting worse, not better.

17 comments in this topic

[GOBI]
Members
801 posts
2,196 battles

After watching hundreds of hours of how to, watching my own replays,I am getting worse not better. Did several battles today in both random and co op using various ships. Nothing sunk, highest damage only 4k. First was in co op, using dread. Only got off one salvo before game ended. Was stuck way out on the flank, steamed full speed towards where the action was, one salvo 2k game ended.

Next Fiji in random, went to center cap, got it. Held it by myself, everyone went over to A cap and my team got wiped out there in short order without the enemy losing a single ship. So of coarse I head to C where they had only one ship, giving up B as their fleet was hitting me with radar and the BB's raining shells on me like a meteor storm. Got a few hits in for 4k damage before getting nailed from 5 ships at once.

So I go back to co op with Warspite, charge into battle with a dd and CA against same. CA and dd bug out leaving me with 3 ships and a 4th coming up. After avoiding several torpedoes, one got me then another. Then enemy fire sent me back to port. Around 4k damage, nothing sunk.

So back to Fiji in random, nightmare mm. Played stupid trying to be of use, turned wrong way. Sunk. BB never lended any support and dd bugged out. I saved the dd but went back to port for my actions. 4k damage. Don't know how you fight ships you can't see but can see you at close range? 

So 4 games, 4 loses.  Yesterday  I was getting between 25k and 50k using Fiji in random, and sank some ships. Some days I wonder why I even play this game. Thought I was improving slowly until today. Seems like every decision I made was wrong during battleplay, or I must have pissed off the NG gods. What do I sacrifice to get out of the WG hell?

One thing I have noticed is that when BBs park in the back and don't get involved until the end team loses. Same if CA does not support dd or dd hangs back and lets enemy get to cap first and set up ambush. And I see these in 8 out of 10 games. Oh, and they should rename Friesland to Meteor Storm.

Had a game a few days ago where the enemy had one and also a Belfast and Atlanta that seemed to work great together supported by some t8 and t9 BB and CA There were so many shells in the air it looked like the end of the world . Was awesome to watch, but not be on the receiving end lol. My team melted.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,018 posts
8,032 battles

1) coop does not prepare you for Random play

2) I would flip your ships / modes. use the Bbs in Random and the Fiji in coop. 

it took me 1.5k games to start to get the hang of the mechanics in this game. and that is before you consider applying strategy and tactics. 

For now.. keep it simple.... I would say your goal is to stay alive as long as possible and damage as much as possible.

• Cool 3

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,568 posts
14,702 battles

Patience.

This game can be played within a few minutes of watching any quality CC or streamer.  Your results will vary widely though as you  move from the "getting to know you" phase to the "actually trying to do/achieve specific results" era.  I had played a few hundred games in the closed/open beta and thought I was ready, but it took 800-1,000 games before I started to see things before they actually happened.  It was about 3500-5000 games before I got any sense of confidence in what I was doing and became used to division play versus solo play  

Give yourself time to make mistakes, it's what you learn from.  I would recommend staying in one ship type for a few matches each session so that you can immediately apply any l;earnings.  Going from light cruiser to battleship is a BIG jump in skill used and game play flavor. Play the Fiji 2-4 matches, then play the Warspite 2-4 matches, you will better absorb what you learn from your matches that way.

• Cool 1

Members
4,473 posts
51 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

First was in co op, using dread. Only got off one salvo before game ended. Was stuck way out on the flank, steamed full speed towards where the action was, one salvo 2k game ended.

Okay, a tip in coop, steam full speed ahead.  In front of you will almost always be a ship of similar type.  If you spawn with a BB, a BB will be opposite of you, if there is a DD, CA and BB, those will be opposite of you.  The easiest way to not get points in coop is to try sailing halfway across the map to 'join' your allies.

[GOBI]
Members
801 posts
2,196 battles
44 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Okay, a tip in coop, steam full speed ahead.  In front of you will almost always be a ship of similar type.  If you spawn with a BB, a BB will be opposite of you, if there is a DD, CA and BB, those will be opposite of you.  The easiest way to not get points in coop is to try sailing halfway across the map to 'join' your allies.

Good to know, thanks

[PQUOD]
Members
3,083 posts
11,709 battles

Also, keep in mind that streaks happen to everyone. Good streaks and bad streaks. If in a rough patch and you've tried a different mode with same results. Sometimes taking a break helps. Good advice from CC's and streamers helps. Make sure your doing all you can on your end.

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

[GOBI]
Members
801 posts
2,196 battles
1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

Patience.

This game can be played within a few minutes of watching any quality CC or streamer.  Your results will vary widely though as you  move from the "getting to know you" phase to the "actually trying to do/achieve specific results" era.  I had played a few hundred games in the closed/open beta and thought I was ready, but it took 800-1,000 games before I started to see things before they actually happened.  It was about 3500-5000 games before I got any sense of confidence in what I was doing and became used to division play versus solo play  

Give yourself time to make mistakes, it's what you learn from.  I would recommend staying in one ship type for a few matches each session so that you can immediately apply any l;earnings.  Going from light cruiser to battleship is a BIG jump in skill used and game play flavor. Play the Fiji 2-4 matches, then play the Warspite 2-4 matches, you will better absorb what you learn from your matches that way.

I try to employ stratagies and set goals for each battle, and try and be flexible depending on how the game flow is going. I try and set up to defend or get caps or at least keep enemy from them. By far the majority of my games are in CA's, I find battleships a bit slow, though they can be fun. Never played a dd or CV. Might try a dd some day.

Went back and played a few more games in random with the Fiji, did a bit better, sank a few ships but damage was not all that great. In one I wailed on a KGV for what seemed like forever. He was sitting head on, salvo upon salvo, low bow to superstructure to stern. Very little damage maybe 6k. Kept getting "no penetration". Was an easy target, just stopped. Did not even bother to shoot at me until after maybe the 8th salvo. Wish I had HE as an option in the Fiji. My Exeter would have burned him down.

Best moment was when I took out a dd with torps from 3k, he was coming out from behind an island to get me and I was going behind it.

[DJL]
Members
151 posts
5,134 battles
13 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Also I need to learn how to create situations instead of reacting to them.

That's where experience comes in. You will soon see it where you will play off others mistakes. When to shoot or when to go dark(not shoot stay invisible). Sometimes if your not spotted a ship may turn broadsided to you your aim will then be the judge.

Just a small example your not spotted but a cv about to torp a cruiser he turns shows you his side you can wipe him for his mistake.

This game can burn you out fast just take it in small doses. Best of luck to you.

Members
83 posts
7,349 battles

Part of this is awareness. You're becoming aware of your tactical shortcomings so it looks like you're doing worse, but I think it's more of a visibility thing. 

Another part is broadness of experience. My recommendation for every new player is to play every ship line up to tier 5. That gets you a general feel for how the ships play. For the IJN cruisers, for example, there are differences. The Zao gets better torp arcs, better gun characteristics, but from tier 5 to 10 the IJN cruiser line will play more or less similar. And when you're playing that Fiji, when that Myoko comes up against you, because you're played the Furutaka, you know *generally* what to expect. Stealthy ship, slow firing, slow traversing, hard hitting and good fire chance guns, long range torps with bad arcs. When the Myoko spots you at 6K and turns away, he's not retreating, or angling his armor, he's firing torps. Playing the Furutaka gets you knowledge of what to expect from most IJN cruisers. 

There are exceptions, but you have to learn the general rule before the exception becomes relevant.

Also, play in a division, with voice chat. "Hey, Mike, that enemy Mahan is probably in that smoke screen, don't get too close..." etc. Other players watching you play can offer very substantive commentary. If your clan doesn't do this, I'd suggest considering joining one that does. 

[M-T-B]
Members
83 posts
6,376 battles

The Lemming Train takes some getting used to ...

For one thing they've usually gone to the side where the enemy isn't and you're with a couple of ships trying to defend a flank.  CC's like Flamu have said many times you can't stay there alone.  Good advice but when you're in a slow BB what choice do you have.  One counter is another part of his advice, when in doubt middle of the map.  It's not just what the other guys are doing … there's the element of what your guys are doing as well.  So when in a Lemming Train where's your most important position to do some good.  Not easy to figure sometimes … 

[FML]
Members
3,165 posts
13,512 battles
On 9/29/2019 at 6:29 AM, Frigate007 said:

when I get a good matchup in random I can do ok, damage is low but at least I am a help to the team.

The thing about UK CLs is that low damage numbers arent important if you are doing high quality damage to the enemy - ie, if you put 44k damage into DDs or low HP cruisers near caps, then proceeded to cap, then you've not just done your job well but you've been a major help to the team.  Other cruisers might do more damage, but if all they're doing is setting fires on battleships that can heal it all back, that damage is low quality.  

I wouldnt stress about it! Just keep doing the things that work, and stop doing the things that get you caned.  

Members
1,906 posts
3,348 battles
On 9/27/2019 at 4:03 PM, Frigate007 said:

Went back and played a few more games in random with the Fiji, did a bit better, sank a few ships but damage was not all that great. In one I wailed on a KGV for what seemed like forever. He was sitting head on, salvo upon salvo, low bow to superstructure to stern. Very little damage maybe 6k. Kept getting "no penetration". Was an easy target, just stopped. Did not even bother to shoot at me until after maybe the 8th salvo. Wish I had HE as an option in the Fiji. My Exeter would have burned him down.

Do you understand the armor penetration mechanics of the game?

Why did you sit in one place shooting CL AP at a bow-tanking battleship? KGV is not the best-armored battleship at the tier by a long shot, but it's still a battleship with 25mm plate on its bow, 76mm on its conning tower, and 330mm on its turret faces. You were probably bouncing or shattering almost all of your shells.

In Fiji that is a bad position to be in. You would need to either shoot at his superstructure or go dark and maneuver for a better firing angle. Depending on the range, you might have torpedoed him or at least used your torpedoes to force a turn to give you a better angle.

[GOBI]
Members
801 posts
2,196 battles
2 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Do you understand the armor penetration mechanics of the game?

Why did you sit in one place shooting CL AP at a bow-tanking battleship? KGV is not the best-armored battleship at the tier by a long shot, but it's still a battleship with 25mm plate on its bow, 76mm on its conning tower, and 330mm on its turret faces. You were probably bouncing or shattering almost all of your shells.

In Fiji that is a bad position to be in. You would need to either shoot at his superstructure or go dark and maneuver for a better firing angle. Depending on the range, you might have torpedoed him or at least used your torpedoes to force a turn to give you a better angle.

Was at 12k, and was hugging a island. My team had a dd going around behind him and I was trying to annoy him and get him focused on me. When he finally did the dd took him out with torps. Was a strange game where all the enemy ships were acting like CA, island hiding around their base. Very little movement. We had to go in and root them out. And I do understand armour, was trying for deck and superstructure, with big long range high arc salvos. Was 4k out of Torp range. Was the only ship visible to me.