You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DocWalker

PSA - Sound Settings

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
2,097 posts
11,972 battles

While I appreciated @Umbaretz 's Sound Setup Guide, it did not answer my questions about which slider controls what sounds.  And every setup I tried was disappointing.

So i logged on to the PTS this morning with one goal in mind.  Select each control individually and find out what it does/does not control.  So,  I tested with General Volume set to max and SFX Volume set to off.  I followed that with Volume & SFX set to max, then I tested with both at max but only a single SFX control set to max ... and tested each individual SFX control in that manner.

Doing this I discovered there are some sounds that are controlled by a single slider.  But there are other sounds that can be heard under multiple sliders.  It's no wonder everyone has been confused.  The following table indicates what sounds are unique to a single control (indicated in blue) and those sounds which appear within multiple sliders (indicated in red). This was my first attempt to document the controls and some errors or omissions may exist.

VolumeControl.thumb.jpg.6c2eb7144ac2e84c9c8ea269fe11e2f2.jpg

Since one of my biggest issues was with the irritating Fire Klaxon, and it only existed under 1 Control (Ambient) I turned it completely off.  I don't find the other unique sounds in Ambient worth hearing in order to eliminate the Klaxon ... and 3 sounds are covered by other sliders. 

My current settings follow, which I'll probably continue to tweak ... I use my PC volume control to set overall volume and I'm pleased with the results so far.  YMMV

VoiceSettings.thumb.jpg.dea2bb35df189ab6381cfa9bddd7a008.jpg

edit:

• modified table to increase font
  • note: before changing my settings I could not hear the interface clicks while in port due to the loud ambient sound volume.  now I can!

edit 2:

• I just played a game on the Live Server with my new settings and got the Fire Klaxon again ... :etc_swear:
  • I suspect it's coming from the Gunfire volume slider, in which case this was all for nought ... you have to have you gun, AA, etc sounds
  • However, I'm going to check it again on the PTS ... it's possible some sound changes were made there that are different from live ... I'm not very hopeful right now

edit 3:

• I've played many more games on the PTS ... it's been surprisingly hard to get set on fire
  • So far I have been on fire only twice but have NOT gotten the Fire Klaxon like I did on the live server, hope returns for now

Edited by DocWalker
table update, added comment
  • Cool 11

Beta Testers
1,556 posts
14,671 battles

Great job - a picture can be worth a thousand words in some cases.

[_RNG_]
Members
119 posts
5,519 battles

Just gonna ask, anyone's sounds sound reverberated and off in the distance like it's not coming from their ship? Since the 8.8 patch, the quality seems to have gone down, not up. 

Beta Testers
1,310 posts
7,070 battles

The new sounds suck.

I can't hear the other ships near me firing and most of the cruiser guns sound like somebody throwing a turnip against a wall. Really, who TF created this and who TF approved it? 152mm guns should sound like a "boom", not a suppressed M4.

Seriously, did you have Marlee Matlin create the new sounds?

[WOLFC]
Members
2,097 posts
11,972 battles

I made another discovery about the Klaxon ... with the new settings I still get it on the live server ... but not on the PTS server

There was nothing about additional sound fixes in the Developer Bulletin ...  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-089/

But we can hope ... see edit notes 2 and 3 in the original post

[O-PN]
Members
2,095 posts
4,401 battles

My OCD wishes I had that kind of time -- after discovering guns were under 3 sliders, something else game up.  Shared it, moved on. +1'd

[WOLFC]
Members
2,097 posts
11,972 battles

After more testing this morning, Final update until Patch 0.8.9 is released:

Currently the Fire Klaxon is also controlled by the General SPX Volume Slider in 0.8.8.1 ... that means there is no way to turn the Klaxon off without turning off ALL other special effect sounds.  Ridiculous, I know.  When you have multiple controls for multiple, different sounds ... you basically have no control.

This is not the case for the Public Test Server.  Fire and Water Splash sounds are controlled by the General SPX Slider, but not the Klaxon.  I'll do a new post after testing the sounds in Release 0.8.9. It's unknown at this time what may or may not change.

Edited by DocWalker
corrected version number