Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Exeter vs Furry Taco

24 comments in this topic

Members
414 posts
8,447 battles

I'm considering getting her but I'm not sure if $17 is worth it for a tier 5 CL. Is she very strong top tier? How does she compare to the FurryTaco which I consider very strong at tier V? TIA

[ES]
Members
423 posts
20,550 battles

I don't have the Taco, but I play the Exeter often. I like the ship, it can do everything. You just have to make sure that you shots count. You have a low rate of fire and only 6 guns

[VW]
Members
3,202 posts
16,233 battles
31 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I'm considering getting her but I'm not sure if $17 is worth it for a tier 5 CL. Is she very strong top tier? How does she compare to the FurryTaco which I consider very strong at tier V? TIA

The exeter is good at tier 5. The ability to shoot he is good for roasting bbs, while the ap is good for punishing ca. Its really the heal that makes her strong since the tech tree non brit ca lack it. The games i played in i had no trouble taking on even aobas, but this always depends on who you’re shooting at.

mouse said she was op.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,361 posts
4,277 battles
32 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

With the scourge of low tier carriers it's a great investment right now. She's one of only two I believe CAs at tier V. Lower armour than Taka. If you have a high tier UK captain from the high tier CLs goes well.

[SYN]
Members
15,444 posts
12,778 battles

the guns on Furutaka are significantly better than Exeter, despite the same size.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

Depends on whether or not you're terrified of CV's.

Sure the Furutaka is armored better... but it's a HP pinata for carriers... Exeter clears skies. Literally.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,972 posts
9,119 battles

Furutaka is the total package while Exeter is a stealth-monster with a heal.  Furutaka has the slight advantage on firepower and noticeable advantage on speed and armour.  Exeter is more agile and stealthy, plus the ability to repair herself.  Of the two, Furutaka is easier to use.  Exeter has similar potential, but a much higher skill floor.

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
110 posts
8,564 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The F has been buffed since I played, I think.

When I played it, it almost made me give up on the IJN cruiser line.  

You're not the only one. I did not enjoy my time in the taco. I do like the Exeter - although I haven't played it since they changed AA again. I think it may be a decent premium trainer for the RN heavy cruiser line coming up. 

[RLGN]
Members
12,019 posts
21,526 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Furutaka is the total package while Exeter is a stealth-monster with a heal.  Furutaka has the slight advantage on firepower and noticeable advantage on speed and armour.  Exeter is more agile and stealthy, plus the ability to repair herself.  Of the two, Furutaka is easier to use.  Exeter has similar potential, but a much higher skill floor.

Love mine. Outfitted by your req, and in usually for me jumped feet first into Randoms first game. Didn’t accomplish much, but gut instinct and hydro ftw, made a Fubuki driver regret their life choices.

Later game dove into an endangered Standard home cap, killed the Omaha and two smoked destroyers responsible.

Whatever else she is to others, to me she is a perfect destroyer killer; and I’m not exactly a fan of cruisers. (Perhaps unsurprisingly, I also love Furutaka...

...but of course, you know that first hand Mouse! 😁 )

1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

My only regret is she’s been Aoba-ized.

Guess I’m just a weirdo who liked the old pyramid gun layout.

Effectively I did give up, but Atago helped in that regard.

Never really liked Aoba; didn’t like Atago, because I couldn’t get it to do anything close to its reputation; never liked any of the Myokos, (sold Myoko, and Ashigara is driving Shinonome, as an ARP example,) never bothered purchasing the T8.

[U571]
Members
2,025 posts
13,925 battles

Exeter will be your Captain Trainer for the RN CAs...  As mouse said speed and better guns go to the Furry Taco, but Exeter can be every bit as dangerous.  Getting a heal on a cruiser at T5 is also nice.

[COOP2]
Members
143 posts
4,739 battles

I would normally put the Furutaka as slightly better than Exeter (both very good ships!) because it is well rounded overall, however these days Exeter's better AA I think edges it just ahead.

1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Guess I’m just a weirdo who liked the old pyramid gun layout.

Not at all, to each his own, but I found Furutaka to be much easier to use after upgrading and getting the twin gun turrets.

[RLGN]
Members
12,019 posts
21,526 battles
9 minutes ago, Ironshroud said:

Not at all, to each his own, but I found Furutaka to be much easier to use after upgrading and getting the twin gun turrets.

Well, as I said at the time of the change; that just makes it an Aoba.

[CAST]
Members
2,018 posts
9,288 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The Furutaka was a fragile glass cannon with big guns.  It seemed like it exploded just watching shots go over the ship.  I hated it and couldn't get out of it fast enough.  After the buff, I played it again and loved it.

[GOBI]
Members
778 posts
2,121 battles

Exeter is a good ship, but takes some skill to do well in if you are bottom tier. If you have t7 CA in match and they focus on you you will be kiting a lot as they out range you with 6" guns, have smoke, and much faster reload. If you are top tier you can seal club. I really wanted to love her, but am not good enough to at this point. I do much better in CA with smoke and faster reloads. I hope to go back to her in the future when I have more experience and skills. She is unique vessel.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
9,535 battles

I like my Exeter, but there are a few things that took a while to adjust to:

1)  The guns are relatively anemic aside from being 203s.  The AP has ~25mm less penetration than Furutaka's guns at normal combat ranges.  For example, at 10km Furutaka has 206mm pen while Exeter has 180.  While this may not seem like a lot, it's the difference between a slightly angled Fuso bouncing your shells or eating full pens through the upper belt.  The HE has ~500 less alpha than the IJN 203s.

2)   You are extremely vulnerable to direct damage from HE.  My first instinct was to hunt all the CLs.  Turns out while you are super effective versus them, they're also super effective versus you.  Your shell juking needs to be on point or you'll never have time to use your heals.

3)  Angling sorta doesn't do much.  Sometimes your best defense against a BB is to mess with the throttle, not to angle towards them.  13mm armor is too thin to arm most BB or CA shells so as long as they don't hit that cit you're in the clear.  If you fall into higher tier habits and present the best possible angle you'll eat full pens as their shells overmatch you for days.

That aside, she's very fun!  She barely loses speed in a turn which makes maneuvers easy, accelerates fast even for a British cruisers, and munches planes like no other.

[DDCO]
Members
73 posts
12,006 battles

I started with the furry taco and hated it. bought the exeter and have had a blast! It has nice balance to it. Fast acceleration, stealthy, good punch for only 6 gun's, AA that shred's aircraft, decent torp's. As with all thing's it is a skill boat that  require's the player to think ahead and to keep there wit's about them. 

I usually have decent game's in the exeter even when bottom tiered. When top tiered, the boat rock's!

$17 is a good price for the boat in my opinion. I paid it and have never regretted it.

just my 2 cent's

Members
1,072 posts
7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

didn’t like Atago, because I couldn’t get it to do anything close to its reputation

Atago at first glance is very similar to Boise. (5 twin 8-inch vs 5 triple 6-inch, similar layout)  Why is it that I can do so much more with Boise more easily?  (Even top tier).  I'm sure it's me.  Just have to play Atago more and get it figured out.

Members
1,072 posts
3 hours ago, Frigate007 said:

Exeter is a good ship, but takes some skill to do well in if you are bottom tier. If you have t7 CA in match and they focus on you you will be kiting a lot as they out range you with 6" guns, have smoke, and much faster reload. If you are top tier you can seal club. I really wanted to love her, but am not good enough to at this point. I do much better in CA with smoke and faster reloads. I hope to go back to her in the future when I have more experience and skills. She is unique vessel.

Yeah, T5/6 Brit CLs are almost as fun to hunt as DDs are with Boise.  

[WOLF9]
Members
4,204 posts
11 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

The answer is yes, get it.  It's a quite fun ship to play.  VERY different from Furutaka- for starters, you don't have that tanky bow armor.    The guns are good (AND get HE shells); the torps are good; and the AA does a decently workmanlike job.  Exeter is also a small and stubby ship, compared to the Taco- so it's highly maneuverable as well.

It does take some skill and experience to get the most out of it,  but it's worth the effort, imo.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,204 posts
24 minutes ago, agm114r said:

Atago at first glance is very similar to Boise. (5 twin 8-inch vs 5 triple 6-inch, similar layout)  Why is it that I can do so much more with Boise more easily?  (Even top tier).  I'm sure it's me.  Just have to play Atago more and get it figured out.

Atago is made of citadel- like all IJN CA's.  And she has just enough armor to arm most AP shells sent her way...    The turning radius and rudder shift are also a difference- Atago is LOONG, and takes a lot of space to turn- Boise is more maneuverable.   There's likely some differences in firing angles, too.

Most of all, Atago has torpedoes.  4 individual launchers- two of which have forward firing angles.  Boise is a pure gunboat.   That right there makes for a huge difference in playstyle.         US cruisers get excellent gun handling to offset the lack of torps.  And without torps to aim and fire, you needn't ever show your side unless you want to- nor do you need to close to torpedo range in order to use a big part of your damage capability.

Boise is far more effective at dealing with planes as well.  Which is increasingly important, lately.

And then there's the whole tier 7 vs tier 8 thing...  T8 is rougher on cruisers especially.    The current meta favors rapid firing CL's over slower shooting, but harder hitting CA's.

Even though they may look superficially similar, Boise and Atago are totally different animals.

[RLGN]
Members
12,019 posts
21,526 battles
1 hour ago, agm114r said:

Even after basically giving up on it two years ago, it’s still my second most played ship, (300 games,) after RTS Bogue, (325.)

Averages; xp: 1,229, damage: 30.7k, mbhr: 28%, thr: 4%, survival: 170/300, 193 ships sunk.

Highest game: 3,200xp, 147.4k damage, ships sunk 5.

Obviously that last was some kind of accident.

[SYN]
Members
3,496 posts
11,935 battles

I'm not sure I'd say Atago is similar to Boise... Atago is a beast; not sure about Boise...

Sign in to follow this