Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tito_D

Can citadel hit exceed maximum shell damage.

12 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
4,097 battles

Played my Mahan this evening and was finished off by a tier VII Vauquelin whose 1 HE shell (the only hit I took from the V) accounted for 11,906 in damage.  Max damage for V's HE is 2,000 which beyond a bewildered "what just happened," prompts this question . . . can a citadel exceed a shell's max damage?

Edited by Tito_D
Grammatical error

[TOG]
Members
3,968 posts
21,336 battles
10 minutes ago, Tito_D said:

Played my Mahan this evening and was finished off by a tier VII Vauquelin whose 1 HE shell (the only hit I took from the V) accounted for 11,906 in damage.  Max damage for V's HE is 2,000 which beyond a bewildered "what just happened," prompts this question . . . can a citadel exceed a shell's max damage?

Sounds like you're detonated by the Vaquelin.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Members
536 posts
19,884 battles
6 minutes ago, Tito_D said:

You detonated.

In general, yes, there is a bug known as the 'double pen bug'.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,113 posts
6,989 battles

Mahan has no citadel, so you can't even be hit for citadel damage in the first place.

As was said by others, that's a detonation. It's RNG telling your that you're having too much fun and to go back to port. Exceedingly rare, so you never expect it when it does happen, but always frustrating.

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
533 posts
3,333 battles
46 minutes ago, Tito_D said:

a bewildered "what just happened"

That's the normal response to a Detonation

[PVE]
Members
3,840 posts
22,029 battles
2 hours ago, Tito_D said:

1st off welcome to the forums :-)

As has been pointed out you were detonated...it can happen to any ship after you get down to 75% HP or less & even a miss w/an HE 2ndary shell (which has a chance to cause incapacitations just by landing close to you on the water) can cause 1.

It is fairly rare but it gives an extra loud bang when it happens & also gives you 10 anti detonation flags which you can equip to make your ship 100% invulnerable to detonations.

In any other circumstance no...a shell may not exceed it's maximum damage & as DDs have no citadels they can't even be hit for maximum damage by any shells.

BTW...detonations are so rare it's best to not use the flags unless you are in a competitive mode (ranked or clan battles).

Unfortunately if you use them for a long time the "expected" detonations you would have gotten stockpile & all come at once when the det flags run out.

[VW]
Members
3,224 posts
16,288 battles
3 hours ago, Tito_D said:

Detonation.

Members
5 posts
4,097 battles

To Hood'ed might also add: Invincible'd, Indefatigable'd, and Queen Mary'ed.

And here I had hoped to read that I hit a mine or dragged my bottom across a previously unchartered reef but there is no uncertainty in those replies . . . appreciate everyone's help.  Thanks All.

Edited by Tito_D

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,001 posts
9,125 battles
6 hours ago, Tito_D said:

In answer to your titular question:  Yes.  It happens in two ways:

1. Detonation.  Your ship's magazine (most often found within a citadel) cooks off and your entire ship disappears in a horrendous space kablooie.
  2. Double Penetration.  This is a bug where a shell registers two damaging hits instead of one.  It's not very commonplace, but it's not super-rare.  It's limited to occurring with AP shells.

To answer your actual question:

Your Mahan doesn't have a citadel (no destroyer does).  From what you describe, it sounds like your magazine cooked off from a detonation (destroyers have magazines even if they don't have citadels).  If you look in your World of Warships folder, you should be able to find the replay and upload it here for us to see.

Sign in to follow this