Sign in to follow this  
CommodorePerryIPA

Mikasa is a Blast in PvE!

16 comments in this topic

Members
226 posts
7,580 battles

Just finished a Tier II co-op game in my Mikasa (10 point capt secondary spec).  My teammates were 5 bots and two new players.  One had 16 games played co-op (no random). The other had about 200 co-op games played, with a 73% WR,  I didn't even know that was possible (until I saw him play).

By the time I chugged into battle, we had 2 greens left (me and the 16 game newbie) and 6 reds (including Mikasa).  I had warned my teammate to stay away Mikasa secondaries and shoot from a distance, so I saw him shooting AP from about 8-10 km... not exactly what I meant but he got a Plays Well for listening.  Anyway, I play the Mikasa like the Nassau..always be turning and let the secondaries do the work.  After the low stuff was gone, then it was time to get the Mikasa.  My buddy got too close to the red Mikasa but managed to barely escape with a thin slice of health.

He ended up with one kill and I had 6. I understand Mikasa is terrible in PvP, but I love it in PvE!

I think I will save this replay. :)

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles

It really helps if you have a BFT/AFT trained captain for the improved ROF and range on her large secondaries.  DE probably would be nice too.

Honestly, I think that WG is unfairly limited the Mikasa, because pre-dreadnoughts would depend on their "secondaries" just as much as her primaries.  The reality of pre-DNs was that their large secondaries were as much a part of her main battery as their largest guns.  And the Mikasa's "secondaries" should really have a lot better range, perhaps as much as 6-8 km.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,264 battles
1 hour ago, CommodorePerryIPA said:

Just finished a Tier II co-op game in my Mikasa (10 point capt secondary spec).  My teammates were 5 bots and two new players.  One had 16 games played co-op (no random). The other had about 200 co-op games played, with a 73% WR,  I didn't even know that was possible (until I saw him play).

By the time I chugged into battle, we had 2 greens left (me and the 16 game newbie) and 6 reds (including Mikasa).  I had warned my teammate to stay away Mikasa secondaries and shoot from a distance, so I saw him shooting AP from about 8-10 km... not exactly what I meant but he got a Plays Well for listening.  Anyway, I play the Mikasa like the Nassau..always be turning and let the secondaries do the work.  After the low stuff was gone, then it was time to get the Mikasa.  My buddy got too close to the red Mikasa but managed to barely escape with a thin slice of health.

He ended up with one kill and I had 6. I understand Mikasa is terrible in PvP, but I love it in PvE!

I think I will save this replay. :)

Actually I win in PvP with Mikasa about 60% of the time rocking a 3 point captain. 

It's not because I am the greatest thing since sliced bread, it's just most players give up on her because she can't fight like the Dreadnoughts they are used to and they don't want to bother figuring out how to make her effective. 

Of course, she's a blast in PvE as the bots charge her.  

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,081 posts
21,659 battles

Oh. My. God. Yes.

If you or allies can waste the torpies, then the real fun begins. Mikasa can even chew T3 battleships to bits, as long as you can maneuver without needing to worry about being torpedoed.

Especially that T2 Ice map, push in to B cap, or the middle in Standard mode, (is that all there is?) and watch the fireworks fly.

1 minute ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Actually I win in PvP with Mikasa about 60% of the time rocking a 3 point captain.

Mine’s 12-14 points?

I’ve heard of three Mikasa divisions raising hell in Randoms.

Had one push into B cap on Solomon and kill everything because they wouldn’t listen when I said to pull back and burn it down with HE. (Saw it when I was grinding the MN destroyers.)  

• Funny 1

Members
226 posts
7,580 battles
33 minutes ago, Crucis said:

It really helps if you have a BFT/AFT trained captain for the improved ROF and range on her large secondaries.  DE probably would be nice too.

Honestly, I think that WG is unfairly limited the Mikasa, because pre-dreadnoughts would depend on their "secondaries" just as much as her primaries.  The reality of pre-DNs was that their large secondaries were as much a part of her main battery as their largest guns.  And the Mikasa's "secondaries" should really have a lot better range, perhaps as much as 6-8 km.

I agree.  The whole Dreadnought revolution was "all big guns".  Pre-dreadnoughts relied on all sizes of guns with the thought most fighting would close in quickly (until the Battle of Tsushima).  From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tsushima):

Prior to the Russo-Japanese War, countries constructed their battleships with mixed batteries of mainly 6-inch (152 mm), 8-inch (203 mm), 10-inch (254 mm) and 12-inch (305 mm) guns, with the intent that these battleships fight on the battle line in a close-quarter, decisive fleet action. The Battle of Tsushima conclusively demonstrated that battleship speed and big guns[7] with longer ranges were more advantageous in naval battles than mixed batteries of different sizes.

So far, statistically in PvE, I do about the same as my Tier II cruisers.  The big difference is I have 10 point captain on Mikasa and the cruisers had a 1 pointer probably. So while fun, it is under powered from a game play perspective.  6-8 km may be unbalancing, but I think an additional 0.5-1.0 km could be justified from both a game play and historical viewpoint.  I don't play RvR much, so I am speaking strictly from my PvE experiences.  When Mikasa first came out, I believe I read she had favorable match-making and got Tier I games.  Given she has no Tier I and lots of Tier III games, it seems reasonable.

Members
226 posts
7,580 battles
50 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I am impressed. 

In a Random game, assuming no other Mikasa's are in queue, what ship do they substitute?

Edited by CommodorePerryIPA

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
5 minutes ago, CommodorePerryIPA said:

I agree.  The whole Dreadnought revolution was "all big guns".  Pre-dreadnoughts relied on all sizes of guns with the thought most fighting would close in quickly (until the Battle of Tsushima).  From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tsushima):

Prior to the Russo-Japanese War, countries constructed their battleships with mixed batteries of mainly 6-inch (152 mm), 8-inch (203 mm), 10-inch (254 mm) and 12-inch (305 mm) guns, with the intent that these battleships fight on the battle line in a close-quarter, decisive fleet action. The Battle of Tsushima conclusively demonstrated that battleship speed and big guns[7] with longer ranges were more advantageous in naval battles than mixed batteries of different sizes.

So far, statistically in PvE, I do about the same as my Tier II cruisers.  The big difference is I have 10 point captain on Mikasa and the cruisers had a 1 pointer probably. So while fun, it is under powered from a game play perspective.  6-8 km may be unbalancing, but I think an additional 0.5-1.0 km could be justified from both a game play and historical viewpoint.  I don't play RvR much, so I am speaking strictly from my PvE experiences.  When Mikasa first came out, I believe I read she had favorable match-making and got Tier I games.  Given she has no Tier I and lots of Tier III games, it seems reasonable.

I look at it this way.  The Mikasa was a battleship.  A pre-DN battleship, but a battleship nonetheless.  I don't think that as a tier 2 she should be better than tier 3's and I don't think that she would be with 6-8km "secondaries".  They'd still have pretty weak accuracy, and Manual Secondaries skill wouldn't help her much.  But at least with 6-8 km secondaries, she'd be somewhat more of a battleship.  Also, they should improve her main gun accuracy at least somewhat.  

The Mikasa's ability to be effective relies heavily on the volume of fire of her secondaries.  And when teams just pepper her from outside secondary range, she's nearly defenseless.

[SALVO]
Members
22,980 posts
23,611 battles
4 minutes ago, CommodorePerryIPA said:

I am impressed. 

In a Random game, assuming no other Mikasa's are in queue, what ship do they substitute?

Perhaps a cruiser.  There may be special MM rules for the Mikasa.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,330 posts
11,679 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Perhaps a cruiser.  There may be special MM rules for the Mikasa.

Probably is, I've seen some interesting match making when Mikasa's get involved.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[WOLFG]
Members
7,065 posts
5,064 battles

If I ever get my captains trainers worked out to my satisfaction, Mikasa will likely be the first "purely for fun" premium I will buy.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,264 battles
19 hours ago, CommodorePerryIPA said:

I am impressed. 

That's a good question.  I actually don't recall but tinkling around in the back of my memory is an impression of a T3 cruiser like St. Louis.  

[DBRIS]
Members
283 posts
7,889 battles

I had it with that container rental, It was a blast. Main guns are so-so, but it will absolutely crush t2 destroyers in a ram with pretty much zero dmg back (Without a flag). (I couldn't seem to hit them with anything, so I just rammed a couple in frustration). Pleasant surprise!

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,264 battles
19 hours ago, Crucis said:

The Mikasa's ability to be effective relies heavily on the volume of fire of her secondaries.  And when teams just pepper her from outside secondary range, she's nearly defenseless.

Well she can be decisive if a couple of thin skinned T-2 cruisers decide to close with you, Mikasa can chew targets like those up really quickly so getting into a close range brawl with cruisers, but also other battleships, works to Mikasa's advantage.  Her other qualities at T2 is that she packs the heaviest guns by far in the tier.  They can be wildly inaccurate but if they land a hit, particularly on a broadside cruiser, the results can be ... gratifying.  

She's also by far the toughest ship in the tier which gives her a lot of staying power in comparison.  Better yet, red ships and dreadnoughts in particular, often don't see her as a real threat so she can get this unnatural fire exclusion zone simply because other players know she's trash so they don't target her and  she can stick around in a game a lot longer than you might expect and yes, she has only 4 of them, but they are still 12 inch guns and they can do some damage at that tier. 

The other thing she has going for her is an insanely tight turning radius.  This helps her bringing her limited number of guns to bear but its also pretty useful when she has to engage destroyers (not her strong suit unless they get too close, in which case it's kind of fun) and avoid torpedoes.  She can actually turn much sharper than many dd commanders are used to so that works in her favor. 

Soooo ... with only four 12 inch guns, Mikasa is not going to be anyone's damage farmer unless people make the mistake of closing with her, but she can stick around in a game for quite a while and she can contribute while she's there, especially when the red team is in the "pay no attention to the Mikasa behind the curtain" mode. That can give her opportunities she might not get otherwise. 

She's not helpless by any measure if you recognize all of her advantages but you have to play her smart because those advantages come at a considerable cost.  If you go out trying to play her like a Dreadnought, you're going to have a long day (well, actually, a very short one).

Members
150 posts
3,598 battles

Main guns are an embarrassment. They cant be accurate for hopefully blatantly obvious reasons, but I've hit teammates over a km away from the ship I was aiming at with the absolutely pathetic accuracy.

Secondaries are fun in Coop if you dont have any destroyers on your team. But as you do 90% of the time and all they do is charge the AI and spam torpedoes because apparently Wargaming isnt bothering to stop skill less losers from playing, good luck getting there in time to make any use of them.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,261 posts
10,040 battles

OP I could not agree more. 

I sent a co-op Mikasa game to Lord Zath in which I got five kills (including the opposing Mikasa, which I rammed for the final kill and the win). And yes, if the bots get serious and you fire on cruisers from close enough in, you can penetrate and citadel them with great effect.

Sign in to follow this