Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

Penetration on 100% HP ship - but no dmg, no modules hit, not torp pen...

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

442
[FORM]
Members
935 posts
8,296 battles

I've noticed this a few times in the last patch, and finally figured I'd share a replay and see if I'm just not understanding what's going on. I know that you can get zero damage result if you hit something already destroyed. Or that the damage can be absorbed by a module... and at the end of this match it said I had damaged only 1 module the end of battle screen - (I didn't think to screen cap it,) but in this instance I shot at a 100% healthy Gneisenau, got 3 penetrations reported on my salvo, but registered zero damage.

Is this a display bug? Did a single AA mount get hit by all 3 shells and that's what happened (if so, that seems a bit absurd and perhaps saying "module damage" or something will at least explain it.) Or is it possible that there is some kind of other issue going on? Anyway, I only started really noticing this all in the latest patch, so I figured I would at least post about it.

You can see here the penetration hits reported at 13:06, but no change in damage done by me shown in the last screenshot 13 seconds later.

REPLAY: no-dmg-pens-20190926_150025_PFSB108-Richelieu_35_NE_north_winter.wowsreplay

wows-19-09-26-02.thumb.JPG.82a360f7fa68fbb2c13cd28981753382.JPG

wows-19-09-26-04.JPG

Edited by TheArc
removed excess image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,281
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,127 posts
19,915 battles

That is due to saturation of the area hit combined with the ammo used. This was pointed out long ago that Chesters were getting beaten down to very low HP and continued hits did no further damage. The solution offered was to change ammo type and try to hit an area that hasn't been saturated. I tried that back then and it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
442
[FORM]
Members
935 posts
8,296 battles
12 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

That is due to saturation of the area hit combined with the ammo used. This was pointed out long ago that Chesters were getting beaten down to very low HP and continued hits did no further damage. The solution offered was to change ammo type and try to hit an area that hasn't been saturated. I tried that back then and it works.

But there was NO damage done to the ship at all. So it couldn't have been damage saturation, right? The target was at 100% health before and after the 3 penetration shots. It was AP ammo btw... even overpens would've done around 1K damage each.

Edited by TheArc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
110 posts
8,564 battles

Turret hits most likely? I think turrets have their own health pool (so you can damage/disable individual turrets), but are not part of the ship HP pool and thus it's not reported as damage. That's my guess anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,281
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,127 posts
19,915 battles
32 minutes ago, TheArc said:

The target was at 100% health before and after the 3 penetration shots.

What ^^^^^ he said then.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
442
[FORM]
Members
935 posts
8,296 battles
15 minutes ago, SouthboundPachyderm said:

Turret hits most likely? I think turrets have their own health pool (so you can damage/disable individual turrets), but are not part of the ship HP pool and thus it's not reported as damage. That's my guess anyway.

Hrm... wouldn't it have shown turrets as damaged modules? After the battle there was one AA module damaged total, that was it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,602 posts
7,449 battles

Yes turrets have their own health pool that isn’t counted in the ship hp, but you only get an incapacitation ribbon for knocking out or destroying a turret not for just dealing damage to it. The same thing in the results screen - it will show incapacitated and destroyed modules, not damaged ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
442
[FORM]
Members
935 posts
8,296 battles
22 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Yes turrets have their own health pool that isn’t counted in the ship hp, but you only get an incapacitation ribbon for knocking out or destroying a turret not for just dealing damage to it. The same thing in the results screen - it will show incapacitated and destroyed modules, not damaged ones. 

Good to know. Perhaps having a "module penetrated" or "module damaged" would help clarify it. Either way, I am glad to know it isn't a new bug... just a feature ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×