Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rentaloli

Best Tier 8-9 Premium Battleship/Cruiser

16 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
938 battles

Currently deciding on which 8-9 prem I should buy, are the Georgia, Azuma, Massachusetts or Jean Bart any good, which one would you recommend? Im looking for something to power me through my Izumo since I cant stand the ship 

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
1,097 posts

Georgia

Massachusetts secondaries and heal + speed boost (can keep up with most DD's) plus decent accuracy 18" guns.

If you have enough for them and willing to accept tier X, I HIGHLY recommend Thunderer.

I am on the same Izumo grind...for the last 6 months.  So bad I just dont want to play it.

Members
1,072 posts

From what I've seen in the forums, you can't go wrong with any of Massachusetts, Georgia, or Jean Bart.  Azuma's not really a BB, it's a large cruiser, basically what Alaska was built to counter. 

Azuma has good HE in my understanding, but it's not at all in the same class as the other three.  

[WOLFC]
Members
752 posts
6,110 battles

Massachusetts. The other 3 ships are available for in game currency, so save your money.

Edited by Nevermore135

[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,270 battles
1 hour ago, jmanII said:

Georgia

Massachusetts secondaries and heal + speed boost (can keep up with most DD's) plus decent accuracy 18" guns.

If you have enough for them and willing to accept tier X, I HIGHLY recommend Thunderer.

I am on the same Izumo grind...for the last 6 months.  So bad I just dont want to play it.

I have been "grinding" my izumo for like 4 years. I got a mushashi just so I didn't feel the need to ever play it again. I enjoy my Bart, it feels very rewarding to play some times. 

[VW]
Members
3,212 posts
16,263 battles
2 hours ago, Rentaloli said:

Currently deciding on which 8-9 prem I should buy, are the Georgia, Azuma, Massachusetts or Jean Bart any good, which one would you recommend? Im looking for something to power me through my Izumo since I cant stand the ship 

All are good. Just a note: jb is completely dependent upon people sailing broadside to her in order to work. If you enjoy flanking you can make some damage, if people sail broadside youll get bonus damage with reload booster. But if people angle and keep your guns straight on their bow those dinky guns will just bounce.

georgia, mass can chew on ships regardless of their angling.

i dont have azuma but you need to long range snipe primarily with he for it to work.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,740 posts
12,072 battles

Love my Georgia, don't have Mass or Azuma... the JB is very good too, just different playstyles.... also would second the Alaska if you got the free xp...she's a beauty too!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,672 posts
11,725 battles

Mass or JB, depending on if you want to use US or French captains.

Georgia can be fun, but Mass is a little more versatile, personally.

[FORM]
Members
939 posts
8,304 battles
3 hours ago, Rentaloli said:

I love my Mass and Alaska, I consistently hear and witness, great play with both the GA and JB... not so much on the Azuma.

3 hours ago, jmanII said:

And had let the Izumo sit til the recent 200% bonus period. Then I made it a point (no matter how painful it was, ) to get my win each day during it. Then the day the 200% ended I spent my FXP and leveled out of that POS. I have never hated a ship so much. I'd shoot point blank AP salvos at high tier BBs, and still get nothing but didn't pens & overpens (IN THE SAME SALVO!!!) - And the armor? Terribly soft on the sides, you can't even try to bring that 3rd turret into play if there's anyone paying attention at all.  And forget how easy it is to penetrate from long range plunging fire. And slow... ugh... what a terrible ship.

Lots of secondaries in the rear too, in case you find someone who wants to chase you forever. Of course you can't actually shoot them with the big guns at that point...

Members
2,612 posts
7,484 battles

In general, I’d recommend either Georgia or JB (depending on whether you want a us or French ship), although I’d recommend Georgia over JB since it has more accurate guns that can hurt things and don’t require ships giving you broadside.

Alaska is also a great ship if you have the free xp for it, and both a standard usn bb and ca captain will fit in easily (although it needs a dedicated build to really shine).

Azuma is an okay ship but nothing to write home about, so personally I’d say to avoid it. 

Keep in in mind all of these are available in game for in game currency so I wouldn’t recommend buying them from the premium shop for money. For premium shop only ships, both Alabama and Mass are good if you like the usn battleships (Alabama has a similar performance to nc with a significantly better torpedo belt, and mass has great secondaries at the expense of main battery sigma), and Tirpitz is a decent choice if you like the german battleships, but my recommendations would be either Alabama or Mass. 

[WOLF3]
Members
22,417 posts
20,527 battles

Georgia or Jean Bart

Jean Bart's fast reload, coupled with the MBRB consumable makes her stand out.  For those times when you want Cruiser Reload with Battleship guns, JB and Bourgogne (a pricey Tier X Steel French BB) are the only BBs capable of this in the game.  You make a mistake against a decent JB player and the punishment comes in very quick succession like a Cruiser, but with hard hitting French 380mm shells.  It also helps the ship is fast, has Engine Boost, as well as a fantastic AA suite.  In Tier IX Ranked, Jean Bart did extremely well for herself alongside Musashi.  She had a significant presence to go with that performance.

Georgia does the peculiar USN 457mm x6 with Graf Spee dispersion + Mass Secondaries + Iowa speed + for some ridiculous reason Engine Boost on top of all that.

A great hilarity I found facing Massachusetts is despite her Mega Secondaries, she's slow for High Tier at 27kts.  When this ship first came out, I had a hilarious moment when a Mass player tried to push to brawl my Montana where the fight would be more even.

:Smile_veryhappy:

But I'm sorry:  Montana's 30kts > Massachusetts 27kts

Kite away easily and hammer her face mercilessly with 16"/50 x12 to the face.  Repeatedly.  Not a d*mn thing Mass can do about it.  Gave up on the push and turning away?  Hammered her some more with the twelve guns.  Done.  Dead.

Georgia doesn't have that problem.  Georgia is already as fast as the fastest BBs in the game, Iowa-class, and has Engine Boost on top of that.  If there's a window of opportunity to push for a brawl, Georgia is easily able to impose her will on people if given the chance.  The guns, secondaries are nice, but it's the speed of Georgia that changes everything for her.  Use the speed to push, use it to get out of dodge from a bad situation.  No BB in the game is close to Georgia's speed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this