You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

The tech tree grind treadmill is getting me down. Here is my solution.

69 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles

1) STOP grinding. From now until I get my enthusiasm back, any grinds that are not within easy (percentage) reach of their end are going to be ignored.

2) Ships will be played as and when I feel like playing them, or if they are incontrovertibly an (or the) optimal choice for an active directive. Their successors will be researched in the fullness of time.

3) In this way, not only will I avoid grind fatigue; I will also (hopefully) slow my progression across ALL grinds to the point where my silver earnings can catch up. 14 million is hardly poor, 

4) It's not often I quote Jesus Christ with respect to gaming, but I'm going to do it here. He told the Pharisees that the Sabbath had been made for man (i.e. to give us a break one day in seven), not the other way round (i.e. if you HAVE to break one of the rules that tell you to do nothing at all, do so in the context of the situation and don't sweat it). Likewise, the tech tree was made for us so that we could get better ships, not so that we would feel obliged to spend all our energies climbing it.

I love this game, and I don't want to get burned out. So while my end goals have not changed (grab everything for which I have a free permacamo), my pace and methods definitely have. No more randoms unless I feel like it, no more competitive modes unless I'm in the mood or my clan is in dire need of that extra ship. Just relaxing co-op with the occasional operation thrown in, and lovely surprises when I look up and see to my pleased amazement that the ship I've selected has enough XP on it to research its successor. I still remember the feeling of having won the Vampire back in 2017... and then looking at the XP on my Emerald and realising I now had enough to unlock the Leander. It was like winning two ships in the one event. Noob happiness for sure, but I'd like to try to recapture that feeling.

• Cool 12
  • Boring 2

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles

I find a ship I like, and pretty much only play that one, it has its ups and downs, but if I am enjoying it, I see no need to play anything else.

• Cool 2

Members
1,072 posts

I have my 'current grind target' ships marked as primary.  However, I play what I feel like, and sometimes I just use a random number to pick one.

Right now, I have my carousel set to only show ships that still have the 'gift' mark, and I play what I want, or will fulfill the directive.

I don't worry about how fast I'm grinding.  That way lies madness and uninstallation, for me, at least.  

[WMD]
Members
1,085 posts
7,945 battles

I run daily wins on ships I'm grinding, but otherwise I play what I feel like playing. 

Grinding up the tech tree isn't my idea of fun, but slowly working my way up is. I may not get the regrind to DM, and Mino completed before the next RB season, but I will get it done. 

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
Members
10,269 posts

I don't grind.  I rarely play a ship more than the one time needed to get the daily bonus. 

I play the ships I like, across all tiers.  There are many tier IV to IX ships in my fleet with several hundred "elite" XP built up, and while I have no 19 point captains yet, I have a ton of 12 to 16 point, a couple 17, and one on the verge of 19. 

[TDR]
Members
372 posts
6,248 battles

Good post OP. I have also let go of my previous push to grind but not really on purpose, it’s just game time and I’m ok with that. I’m getting news ships during line releases and all the premiums so that has been fun. I have 4-5 tech tree grind I’ve making for several months, in some cases 6 months and I’m not to t10. I’m good with it. Between ranked, ranked sprint, clan battles, clan brawls, naval battles and directives/events I have chosen to spend my time there instead of the tech tree grind. It’s been a nice change of pace

[HYDRO]
Members
3,678 posts
5,280 battles

To be honest I have lost alot of my appetite for tech tree grinds. Even for Vauquelin, my current priority I'm pondering on just free-xping it for Fantasque. And it's not even that I'm doing bad in her, I just don't care much :Smile_hiding:.

My other gripe is that my appetite is slacked by "unique" ships. Problem is that most of the ships with unique playstyles tend to be premiums, so for example I get my fun playing ships like Haida or Friesland just because of that.

[TARK]
Members
4,130 posts
1,620 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) STOP grinding. From now until I get my enthusiasm back, any grinds that are not within easy (percentage) reach of their end are going to be ignored.

2) Ships will be played as and when I feel like playing them, or if they are incontrovertibly an (or the) optimal choice for an active directive. Their successors will be researched in the fullness of time.

3) In this way, not only will I avoid grind fatigue; I will also (hopefully) slow my progression across ALL grinds to the point where my silver earnings can catch up. 14 million is hardly poor, 

4) It's not often I quote Jesus Christ with respect to gaming, but I'm going to do it here. He told the Pharisees that the Sabbath had been made for man (i.e. to give us a break one day in seven), not the other way round (i.e. if you HAVE to break one of the rules that tell you to do nothing at all, do so in the context of the situation and don't sweat it). Likewise, the tech tree was made for us so that we could get better ships, not so that we would feel obliged to spend all our energies climbing it.

I love this game, and I don't want to get burned out. So while my end goals have not changed (grab everything for which I have a free permacamo), my pace and methods definitely have. No more randoms unless I feel like it, no more competitive modes unless I'm in the mood or my clan is in dire need of that extra ship. Just relaxing co-op with the occasional operation thrown in, and lovely surprises when I look up and see to my pleased amazement that the ship I've selected has enough XP on it to research its successor. I still remember the feeling of having won the Vampire back in 2017... and then looking at the XP on my Emerald and realising I now had enough to unlock the Leander. It was like winning two ships in the one event. Noob happiness for sure, but I'd like to try to recapture that feeling.

PREACH!

Welcome to sanity, sir!

May your games be fun!

• Cool 1

Members
2,950 posts
11,398 battles
28 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

STOP grinding

That right there.  I literally did grind for only a couple of ships at the start, and the rest of high tier ships I got were "helped" along the way by ships give away, flags, and free XP.  At this point I am content with what I have, my active duty "stable" consist of:

12xT10 ships with 1 CV, 5 BB, 2 CA, 2 CL, 2 DD

8xT9 premiums with 4 BB, 2 CC, 2 DD

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
1,097 posts

Feel the same way....then Ohio hit.  How to accomplish both "grinding" and enjoying the game?

I felt like more punishment I guess resetting 2 lines thus far (UK BB and US CA).  Easy enough to tier 8 - fxp and operations. Thinking about resetting US CL also.

Made sure I have premiums to fill the gap for the ships I lost with reset while I easily work tier 8-10 in coop with flags while saving some fxp for Brit Heavy cruisers and Subs.

Less salty players in coop, less stress in coop (have enough stress in real life) + a month break + proper prior planning = enjoying the game a little more.

Here is to everyone finding their balance with this game.

Members
1,849 posts
16,078 battles

I had sorta got past the “hamster wheel” thing awhile ago, grinded all the lines except CVs, and just grinded new lines as they came out.  Grinding one one at a time did not seem so much of a burden....but now

Decided to take advantage of the double points and reset one line (US BBs).  Have been grinding French DDs also.  Now both lines up to tier 9 and a long way to go (around 180k) for each.  Tiers 7-9 are feeling very sloggy right now.  Not a huge fan of French DDs (prefer stealth torp boats),  did not enjoy replaying Colorado (just too slow for tier 7), North Carolina was ok but uptiered into tier 10 games a lot (thought new MM was suppose to fix that), and now long tier 9 grind in Iowa.  

Was hoping that I would enjoy the regrind more, but it feels like more work and resources (credits, special flags, Commander exp), then I like.  While I only try for 1st wins to use daily bonus, harder to get to the ships I enjoy playing, verses being yoked to ships I feel I need to play to make progress.

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Noob happiness for sure, but I'd like to try to recapture that feeling.

I know how you feel, I quit for almost a year and came back and it feels new again. But I am avoiding the grinding of the Tech Trees this time as well. I am just going to play my favorite Ships, like my HSF Admiral Graf Spee and just try to have fun in the game. 

Not going to worry about getting to that next Tier, or the New Line coming out as well.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
2 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Not going to worry about getting to that next Tier, or the New Line coming out as well.

New lines are a different kettle of fish. Some of them have been breaths of fresh air as regards their playstyle (e.g. Brit DD - single-fire torps and no speedboost; Russian BB - accurate up close but limited DCP charges; French DD - no smoke) and others will continue to be (Italian cruisers - SAP shells); and that keeps things fresh enough that I'm happy to "grind" those (while at the same time relishing every early release the free crates are willing to toss me). But they are few and far between enough that it's not really all that onerous.

• Boring 1

[CMFRT]
Members
10,269 posts

I'll probably get on the Italian cruiser line simply because there will be other stuff attached (directive, events, etc) and future events that will be easier if I have Italian ships in my fleet. 

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

New lines are a different kettle of fish.

True, but I was just talking about for me. I am just not too interested in the new lines, having just gotten back into the game. Some of the "older" lines are still new to me, so that is why.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
2 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

True, but I was just talking about for me.

And so was I; sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

For sure, take it at your own speed. Last thing I want to do is burn out someone who's just picked the game up again.

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Last thing I want to do is burn out someone who's just picked the game up again.

Well it was not just burn out in my case, BUT I will not go into that on your thread.:Smile_honoring:

[O_O]
Members
3,943 posts
17,871 battles

I stopped grinding the lines almost two years ago. It was just too much. As a new line would come out I would focus on one ship that "felt" right out of the tree, get her, assign a captain. I've been working on getting those 19 pt captains completed - and now done for all the tech tree ships I favor.

Not sure I want to grind ships anymore but am having fun playing whatever I want to get thru the directives/missions.

I've kind've walked away from the tech tree altogether. My fleet of 84 ships are all premiums. 34 of those are award/free xp/coal/steel ships and I've spent some whale-meat to get the rest. This game is enjoyable and I am having fun with no angst (at the moment).

When the eye-tie line comes out I will probably pick one, free xp to her, assign my D'Aosta/Abruzzi 19 pt. captain to her, play her awhile, and then sell her. If I pick wrong I will rinse and repeat. All casual with no need for speed...

Members
148 posts
10,623 battles

I'm probably doing the slowest grind ever.  I have been here since beta (not sure if I was in open or closed, one of those).  As of now, I have I think 4 T9 ships (US BB & CA; KM BB; IJN CA or CL off the top of my head).  I've got all lines working; but don't have any urgency to get to T10 in any rush (obviously).  I usually play what I feel like recently, usually to get some captain's experience more than the ships.  Recently just working on 'blowing off the snowflakes' (or whatever the right term is for the fourth anniversary crates).

[WOLFG]
Members
6,937 posts
4,987 battles

I need a patch where I am not interested in the directives so I can go back to grinding.

Meaning playing for two crates and logging off.

I may not be that interested in Italian cruisers.

[DOG]
Members
448 posts
9,377 battles
7 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I need a patch where I am not interested in the directives so I can go back to grinding.

Meaning playing for two crates and logging off.

I may not be that interested in Italian cruisers.

For the most part, you can just grind away and you will finish the tasks of the directives. Some optional ones (e.g., earn X amounts of credits for a specific nationality) don't have to be done.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,937 posts
4,987 battles
8 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

For the most part, you can just grind away and you will finish the tasks of the directives. Some optional ones (e.g., earn X amounts of credits for a specific nationality) don't have to be done.

Secondary hits has been a labor without a lot of good secondary ships.  JB is good, but the next best is the Bayern, and the lack of speed and short range means I have to work.

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,786 posts
9,171 battles

I don't get why people "grind" tech trees. Just play the stuff you like (and already have), progression will happen naturally, in its own good time.

Members
104 posts
2,322 battles

I fell into this trap like in wot. Grinding numerous lines instead of focusing on one or two. Now I'm at the tier 7 brit bb, brit ca, us bb jap bb jap ca us cv jap cv and ru ca line.