Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Yoshino or Thunderer?

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[WAKE]
Members
190 posts
15,953 battles

Normally I don't have issues selecting what I want from the Armory, but this time i'm torn. 

 

Only options I have in Armory are Yoshino or Thunderer. Which one should I get? 

I have the Azuma, and I do LOVE its play style, just unsure how Yoshino fairs at one tier higher since its essentially an Azuma with torpedoes. 

I do have the Conqueror, and I also LOVE its play style, I use to use the 457's on it until it was taken away. So naturally I'm looking at it too, but I can't find any good "release" reviews. 

 

My initial knee jerk reaction is to get the Yoshino first since it may go out of the armory soon, then save for Thunderer, but then again I keep going back and eyeing the Thunderer more than I eye ball the Yoshino. Eventually I want both, but for now, can only get one. 

 

Can ya'll help me decide?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228
[SIMP]
Members
1,083 posts
9,546 battles
5 minutes ago, Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds said:

Normally I don't have issues selecting what I want from the Armory, but this time i'm torn. 

 

Only options I have in Armory are Yoshino or Thunderer. Which one should I get? 

I have the Azuma, and I do LOVE its play style, just unsure how Yoshino fairs at one tier higher since its essentially an Azuma with torpedoes. 

I do have the Conqueror, and I also LOVE its play style, I use to use the 457's on it until it was taken away. So naturally I'm looking at it too, but I can't find any good "release" reviews. 

 

My initial knee jerk reaction is to get the Yoshino first since it may go out of the armory soon, then save for Thunderer, but then again I keep going back and eyeing the Thunderer more than I eye ball the Yoshino. Eventually I want both, but for now, can only get one. 

 

Can ya'll help me decide?

 

 

Thunderer for the sheer trolling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
771
[INTEL]
Members
2,553 posts
13,163 battles

I don't have Azuma but I do I do have Yoshino.  One of my favorite ships now.

The torps can be hilarious but it's an infrequent joy.  I killed a Mogami and an Iowa last night with the starboard side launchers in the first 4 minutes of battle.  The problem as with a lot of other battles the Yoshino can't really carry a T10 battle like a DD or BB can.  Maybe you experience this in Azuma as well.

I don't play battleships as much as I used to and I don't have a Conq so I'll probably be getting Thunderer.

If you are certain to get both, get Yoshino now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,468
[ARGSY]
Members
15,261 posts
10,040 battles
4 minutes ago, Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds said:

I have the Azuma, and I do LOVE its play style, just unsure how Yoshino fairs at one tier higher since its essentially an Azuma with torpedoes. 

How often are you seeing Tier 10 in your Azuma? If you have no problem with Azuma in a T10 battle, what makes you think having torpedoes would make your lot any worse? Or does the ability to be top-tier against T7 make your day when it comes to the Azuma? If you love the Azuma that much that you want a second one a tier higher with torps, then the Yoshino might be for you.

I was interested in Azuma/Yoshino until Azuma was released and I caught the general vibe that she was something of a let-down (not for all players, obviously). That sort of poisoned me against Yoshino as well, and so my high-tier premium coal ship buying has been as follows: Salem, JB, Smolensk, all since Christmas last year. I have been happy with all of those, because they add capabilities to those nations' fleets and they suit certain captains that I already had in those fleets. 

The other thing that would poison me against buying Yoshino now is that I already have a high-tier IJN premium (Musashi), and feel no need for another - not even a different one.

It would make more sense for me, with a strong British BB fleet and TWO British 19 point captains, to get Thunderer. That will also give me an upper-tier (9 or 10) ship in a fourth Navy (I favour diversification), and if Siegfried is released as an FXP ship, that would give me an option in a fifth.

That's my two cents' worth, with the underlying reasons why. Apply it to your situation as you see fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
367
[RTXN]
Beta Testers
1,120 posts

Thunderer

Most describe it as a Conquerer with its 457 guns.  It is so much more.

Yes, it does have the 457's, but with Mod 3 you get a 22.9 sec reload.  Mod 3 will slow your turret rotation down some, but you also get a 5deg/sec traverse (compared to 4deg for Conqueror).  These turrets are much faster.

You keep the 63% fire chance on HE, but AP gets the normal shell fuse settings (not like any other Brit BB) which is a citadel machine.  Most people in game ask me if it is a mainline AP or HE ship - my response is that both are effective.  If you know what situations to use each, this is a monster!

This combined with a much improved dispersion makes Thunderer a sniper, a VERY effective sniper. 

In addition to the guns, you also get better rudder shift and access to Def AA.

No, you don't get the super heal of Lion/Conqueror, but it is not a bad heal.

This makes Thunderer a sniper NOT A BRAWLER.  Depending on your playstyle and adaptability, this may be the ship for you. 

It is for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
124
[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
383 posts
6,355 battles

I play bb relatively minimally so I’d say Yoshino. I have her and she’s fun to play, especially if you live into the mid-late game and can push a little more. I don’t have Azuma but I will eventually get her. The ability to move the commander back and forth between the 2 just makes sense to me to get both. I don’t think thunderer is bad from what I’ve seen and will eventually get her as well. Free premiums are always good to have imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
771
[INTEL]
Members
2,553 posts
13,163 battles
1 minute ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

I play bb relatively minimally so I’d say Yoshino. I have her and she’s fun to play, especially if you live into the mid-late game and can push a little more. I don’t have Azuma but I will eventually get her. The ability to move the commander back and forth between the 2 just makes sense to me to get both. I don’t think thunderer is bad from what I’ve seen and will eventually get her as well. Free premiums are always good to have imo

I have the Azuma commander and yet I don't have the ship.  Works on Yoshino well enough and if I ever get Azuma it won't require a respec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,178
[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts
32 minutes ago, Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds said:

Normally I don't have issues selecting what I want from the Armory, but this time i'm torn. 

 

Only options I have in Armory are Yoshino or Thunderer. Which one should I get? 

I have the Azuma, and I do LOVE its play style, just unsure how Yoshino fairs at one tier higher since its essentially an Azuma with torpedoes. 

I do have the Conqueror, and I also LOVE its play style, I use to use the 457's on it until it was taken away. So naturally I'm looking at it too, but I can't find any good "release" reviews. 

 

My initial knee jerk reaction is to get the Yoshino first since it may go out of the armory soon, then save for Thunderer, but then again I keep going back and eyeing the Thunderer more than I eye ball the Yoshino. Eventually I want both, but for now, can only get one. 

 

Can ya'll help me decide?

 

 

Yoshino is actually a big improvement over Azuma, and to be honest, HMS Thuderer just sounds like a cabbage joke waiting to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,468
[ARGSY]
Members
15,261 posts
10,040 battles
18 minutes ago, jmanII said:

You keep the 63% fire chance on HE, but AP gets the normal shell fuse settings (not like any other Brit BB) which is a citadel machine. 

Swings and roundabouts - I guess for you, the ability to get deep inside layered armour and/or phat battleships is working out better for you than avoiding overpens on cruisers? Or are you not even finding overpens a problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
367
[RTXN]
Beta Testers
1,120 posts
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Swings and roundabouts - I guess for you, the ability to get deep inside layered armour and/or phat battleships is working out better for you than avoiding overpens on cruisers? Or are you not even finding overpens a problem?

No problems.  Get a flat broadside, they are gone.  If angled, switch to HE.  

This ship rewards shell switching more than any other I have experienced.  Been honing my shell switch decisions and being rewarded.  Just take expert loader skill.

I can honestly say that this ship may have saved this game for me.  I am interested again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,468
[ARGSY]
Members
15,261 posts
10,040 battles
13 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Just take expert loader skill.

My 19 point BB captain's skills are already maxed out. I'll have to have a look when I get home tonight and see what, if any, compromises I'm able to make at the next free re-spec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
124
[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
383 posts
6,355 battles
51 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I have the Azuma commander and yet I don't have the ship.  Works on Yoshino well enough and if I ever get Azuma it won't require a respec.

Yup, I agree. That alone to me is almost worth getting them both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
620
[HELLS]
Members
2,355 posts
23,033 battles

Thunderer. I get to use her 18.1-inch guns and can leave the four triple turrets on Conqueror, swapping my 19-point Conqueror captain between the two ships. If you are a cruiser main and have Azuma then Yoshino is a good choice. Since I am a BB main and am not in love with IJN cruisers, I went the other way. Personal preference, really...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,456
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,479 posts
4,925 battles

I went Thunderer after having the same  decision.. I haven't played in randoms yet, but a couple of games in Co-Op have made me happy with the decision..   Incredible reload for a BB and ridiculously effective HE rounds and very good AP.   It eats AP shells pretty hard but as long range sniper I'm guessing it could lead to some big games..  I'm looking forward to playing it some more when I am done with directives.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,176
[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,525 posts
13,256 battles
2 hours ago, Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds said:

Already got it. Hence why I stated, Yoshino and Thunderer are my only options. 

I would definitely go for the Smolensk...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,520
[RKLES]
Members
10,810 posts
12,413 battles
2 hours ago, Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds said:

Normally I don't have issues selecting what I want from the Armory, but this time i'm torn. 

 

Only options I have in Armory are Yoshino or Thunderer. Which one should I get? 

I have the Azuma, and I do LOVE its play style, just unsure how Yoshino fairs at one tier higher since its essentially an Azuma with torpedoes. 

I do have the Conqueror, and I also LOVE its play style, I use to use the 457's on it until it was taken away. So naturally I'm looking at it too, but I can't find any good "release" reviews. 

 

My initial knee jerk reaction is to get the Yoshino first since it may go out of the armory soon, then save for Thunderer, but then again I keep going back and eyeing the Thunderer more than I eye ball the Yoshino. Eventually I want both, but for now, can only get one. 

 

Can ya'll help me decide?

 

 

Word of warning about Thunderer is that it lacks the Royal Navy “Super Heals” that ships like Conqueror get. And still has the softer armor that Conqueror has. Reading that in my researching info on the ship is at least for now a deal breaker for me. If your good with Azuma Yoshino might work for you, as players have learned how to actually play Azuma and Yoshino I have noticed those 2 ships actually contributing at times and being oddly harder kill when used well despite the stereotypes about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
476
[NUWES]
Members
2,633 posts
8,466 battles
1 hour ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Thunderer. I get to use her 18.1-inch guns and can leave the four triple turrets on Conqueror, swapping my 19-point Conqueror captain between the two ships. If you are a cruiser main and have Azuma then Yoshino is a good choice. Since I am a BB main and am not in love with IJN cruisers, I went the other way. Personal preference, really...

Just a small point to note. Thunderer's guns aren't 18.1-inch guns (460mm). Only Yamato and Musashi have those. Thunderer's are 18inch or just under that (467mm). That .1 inch (3mm) difference is where Yammy and Mushy get the supreme overmatch that makes them unique. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WAKE]
Members
190 posts
15,953 battles

Do yall think Yoshino will go out of armory within the next 3-4 months? (about how long it takes to get that much coal.)

 

Also, I mainly play battleship for our clan, and just in general when being competitive. When i'm not in a battleship, I switch to the Stalingrad or a Henri (usually). 

For fun, you typically find me in a cv, bb, or flint/atlanta/worcester/mino/colbert/smolensk.

 

 

Edited by Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,131
[WOLFB]
Members
3,026 posts
12,670 battles

Yoshino won't be removed so soon. Smolensk might be removed but not Yoshino.

 

As for you question, personnally I don't own Thunderer but after the buff she received on her 457, I think you can think of Thunderer as an "improved" 457mm Conqueror . Old 457 Conqueror is garbage but Thunderer doesn't looks too bad.

 

As for Yoshino personnally I really enjoy her. She's fairly tanky but easily gets citadel when broadside. Her guns are very good to be honest, HE is strong and AP is ok. She's a total improvement over Azuma (and tbh Yoshino is what Azuma should have been. An IJN supercruiser without torps but more HP)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WAKE]
Members
190 posts
15,953 battles
29 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Yoshino won't be removed so soon. Smolensk might be removed but not Yoshino.

 

As for you question, personnally I don't own Thunderer but after the buff she received on her 457, I think you can think of Thunderer as an "improved" 457mm Conqueror . Old 457 Conqueror is garbage but Thunderer doesn't looks too bad.

 

As for Yoshino personnally I really enjoy her. She's fairly tanky but easily gets citadel when broadside. Her guns are very good to be honest, HE is strong and AP is ok. She's a total improvement over Azuma (and tbh Yoshino is what Azuma should have been. An IJN supercruiser without torps but more HP)

Good to know! I'm leaning towards Yoshi currently just to be safe and get her, but from the thunderer video someone just PM'd me...my god do I want that ship. It's right up my alley. 

Edited by Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,123
[LEGIO]
Members
3,348 posts
6,879 battles
8 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Just a small point to note. Thunderer's guns aren't 18.1-inch guns (460mm). Only Yamato and Musashi have those. Thunderer's are 18inch or just under that (467mm). That .1 inch (3mm) difference is where Yammy and Mushy get the supreme overmatch that makes them unique. 

Completely unrealistic Japanese bias right there.

Thunderer seems an incredible rip-off to me because instead of fixing the 18" option on the Conqueror they removed it and made the ship the 18" Conqueror should have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×