You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

I don't get it...playing a BB

43 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
497 posts

I've tried playing BBs.  Honestly, I just don't get it.  They are so slow and cumbersome.  What is the point of 'big' hits if you fall asleep waiting for the reload.  Trying to maneuver them is just painful.  I'm not being flip, I just can't see how people enjoy them.  Somebody please enlighten me on what kind of pleasure you get from this.  Seriously, thanks.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 3

[WOLF3]
Members
1,747 posts
6,592 battles

I guess, for me, it would have to be the punishing broadside.  Not much better than dealing 30k+ damage in a single salvo.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,410 posts
20,527 battles
17 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I've tried playing BBs.  Honestly, I just don't get it.  They are so slow and cumbersome.  What is the point of 'big' hits if you fall asleep waiting for the reload.  Trying to maneuver them is just painful.  I'm not being flip, I just can't see how people enjoy them.  Somebody please enlighten me on what kind of pleasure you get from this.  Seriously, thanks.

You can try Cruisers, where the guns are accurate and reload much more quickly.  But then you're trading away Battleship survival ability for reliable, faster, accurate, albeit weaker gunnery.  Just don't get too upset if a BB smashes your Cruiser with AP shells.

All the ship types, DDs, Cruisers, BBs, CVs have their good sides and stuff you have to put up with.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
615 posts
2,164 battles

BBs are a good class if you like random accuracy, roll of the dice dispersion, inability to spot a 120m long DD firing torps at you at 5k range and usually spending half the game on fire.. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,623 posts

It's a pretty fun thing when your aim is perfect and RNG smiles upon you.  You watch that great salvo reach the top of the arc and drop in.  You get a bunch of citidel ribbons and remove a full health cruiser from the game, in a single salvo.

• Cool 1

[_EASY]
Members
265 posts
10,576 battles
39 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Your are using the wrong BB.  Get a Georgia.  With engine boost a speed of 39.7kts, 22 second reload on main guns with hard hitting American AP and secondaries that reach out and touch someone at up to 11.3k

For a BB what's not to love....

• Cool 1

Members
3,933 posts
4,205 battles

The same joys of big numbers destroyers can see, but at a safer pace. Little demand to do your job properly usually. Heals and being able to laugh off hits is nice too I guess. 

In short. Easy Modo. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
11,334 posts
31,791 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

1. Your div mate yells for help with a cruiser pestering his DD. You remove it with a salvo.

2. You bait out a DD for a div mate in a Belfast.

3. You put up a spotter and two-salvo the enemy Sky Artillery.

4. You put your Massachusetts into B cap, put down 100K damage and kill 2 ships and hold that cap while the better players on the flanks roll up the red team with you as the anvil to their hammer.

5. You lead a push into the red cap doing 200K damage and wrecking face.

6. You put your Lyon into your cap to stop 3 DDs from capping you out. You kill two and wreck the third, dodging wave after wave of torps.

7. One of your teammates, not understanding the concept of "heal", yells at you for being nearly full strength. In mid-rant, you get a CONFEDERATE and HIGH CALIBER. You finish with 2000 base XP and first in team score.

I really like playing BBs....

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
2,096 posts
6,986 battles

There's a BB (or CB) for everyone, really, so long as you don't go in looking to do DD stuff.

BBs too slow? Iowa, Georgia, Mo, Hood, Ishizuchi, Ashitaka, and many more.

BBs fire too slow? Scharnhorst, Jean Bart and Borgogne have your back.

BBs seen from the moon? RN BBs exist. Detection like a CA!

BBs too inaccurate? Georgia, Thunderer, Yamato, Warspite, and then there are also certain BBs that make up for quality with quantity, such as Arizona and Lyon.

Radar? Mo.

Torps? Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, and Kii.

Really, the niches that BBs don't touch on are few and far between. Off the top of my head, there's no torp reload booster or smoke BB. Even if it at times they require a premium to get the playstyle you want, you can often get just about anything from some BB or another.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Cool 1

[YARRR]
Members
659 posts
5,375 battles

Being in a 21 knot US Standard BB at Tier VI in a Tier VIII match and ending with the highest score and carrying your team on your back FTW.

Because you can.

• Cool 2

Members
3,933 posts
4,205 battles
6 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Really, the niches that BBs don't touch on are few and far between. Off the top of my head, there's no torp reload booster or smoke BB. Even if it at times requires a premium to get the playstyle you want, you can often get just about anything from some BB or another.

Makes me wonder how many would buy a BB that comes with smoke but can't use it and is meant more for supporting cruisers and DDs? 

[KAPPA]
Members
2,096 posts
6,986 battles
3 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Makes me wonder how many would buy a BB that comes with smoke but can't use it and is meant more for supporting cruisers and DDs? 

If she has good secondaries and/or torps and creeping smoke, she'd be scarier than a Flint. Secondaries don't bloom your detection.

[VOP]
Members
474 posts
8,225 battles

Brawling with another BB is what I like. Secondaries shooting while on fire and in a hard turn to keep their guns off of you while you train your guns on them and fire...:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
95 posts
6,870 battles
10 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

If she has good secondaries and/or torps and creeping smoke, she'd be scarier than a Flint. Secondaries don't bloom your detection.

Oh, how I would love creeping smoke for my full secondary spec Grosser Kurfurst (with legendary module). With the hydro running I’d like to see someone dislodge me from a good defensive position.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts
3 hours ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Because the average WoWs player wants only to sail straight line across the map in his $60 invincible e-peen making gun sounds and fantasizing that he is Admiral Rambo Patton.

• Cool 1

Members
5,026 posts
8,503 battles

Same reason anyone likes a class of ships.  I don't get how people love DDs - I suck in them.  I can't process information fast enough to do well in them.  For me BBs are a chess match - and I suck at chess.  I play plenty of CAs as well and fun in them but I am a BB main in general.

[PVE]
Members
877 posts
6,527 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

7. One of your teammates, not understanding the concept of "heal", yells at you for being nearly full strength. In mid-rant, you get a CONFEDERATE and HIGH CALIBER. You finish with 2000 base XP and first in team score.

LOL! I have lost a lot karma this way. It's usually a DD who got torpedo sitting broadside in his smoke that reports me for using my heals while I claim my third victim.

Who knew, fire damage heals back.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
3 hours ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Graduate to the next level.

Become a GoDD....

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[IXM]
Members
599 posts
3,285 battles
2 hours ago, Yoshiblue said:

The same joys of big numbers destroyers can see, but at a safer pace. Little demand to do your job properly usually. Heals and being able to laugh off hits is nice too I guess. 

In short. Easy Modo. 

This is pretty much how I see it. BBs are the slow, forgiving easy-mode this game gives to the people who want to have a drink in one hand and still be able to play. I find them to be only somewhat fun in Co-Op. This is just because the matches are much shorter so you're not waiting around able to go to the store and buy food before you can actually get a decent shot on someone. In randoms they're just so boring to me.

[RLGN]
Members
12,019 posts
21,526 battles
3 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I guess, for me, it would have to be the punishing broadside.  Not much better than dealing 30k+ damage in a single salvo.

3 hours ago, Burnsy said:

It's a pretty fun thing when your aim is perfect and RNG smiles upon you.  You watch that great salvo reach the top of the arc and drop in.  You get a bunch of citidel ribbons and remove a full health cruiser from the game, in a single salvo.

Whatever ‘button’ I press to do this with any regularity I have apparently never found.

Never in the right place to get the numbers so many seem proud of.

Confederate and High Caliber? Those are accidents and exceptions, not regular occurrences,

[WOLFG]
Members
95 posts
6,870 battles

For me the ship selection (SS) is based on multiplying (1) my fatigue level (1-10), (2) aggregate mental load from work (1-10), and (3) beer consumption (Bn*2)+1.

If SS > 50, play BB. If SS < 10 play DD. Otherwise play CA. Exception: if good reward available by playing CV and effort likely low (3 or fewer expected games) play CV.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,521 posts
6,745 battles
5 hours ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Playing a battleships is about enjoying the fact that, with your ship angled against the enemy, you can reduce or eliminate damage from enemy gunfire that would cripple or outright destroy another type of ship, while hauling guns that can do the same in return.  You're the core of your team, moving where the team needs to control and forcing the enemy to either give way or take the punishment you can deal out.  Aircraft carriers prefer to find targets that aren't bristling with AA guns.  Cruisers go cold with fear when they realize turning in your gunsights is a death sentence.  Destroyers may savor the chance to put you onto the bottom of the sea (hey, that's their job), but that smile goes away after you evade eighty-five percent of their torpedoes, take the hits, and they realize they are about to go nose-to-nose with some very big guns without anyplace to hide.

The important points about battleship play are to keep your ship angled about 30 degrees towards the main threats facing you, keep turning and weaving to throw torpedoes off your track, time when to shoot your salvoes for best effect (look for cruisers and battleships showing you their broadside), and avoid giving anyone your own broadside except when they can't see you.  And, if all else fails, take as many of the enemy with you as you can, all guns blazing.

However, if you don't like the time it takes to load a multi-ton shell into a gun that requires enough explosive charge to blow a good portion of your ship apart to get that shell a couple of kilometers downrange, or the handling of a brick of layered armor sailing on the water, or the desire of every ship to set you afire (because that's the only way more than a few of them can more than tickle you), then it might be that battleships are just not the ship for you.  It happens.  Not everyone has the talents needed for these behemoths of armor and flame.  Patience and an enjoyment of planning your moves two minutes ahead of time are requirements of good battleship commanders.

If quick action and the blaze of rapid-fire guns are your thing, then I might recommend a cruiser.  If the more stealthy gameplay of torpedo plotting is to your taste, then look up destroyers.  If you want to see all and be the Death of a Thousand Pinpricks From Over The Horizon, then try out carriers.

Hope this helps.