You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mastrec

Please WG add a friendly torpedo warning

30 comments in this topic

[KAG]
Members
13 posts
5,857 battles

I'm a main dd player (3.5k battles) and this is a very common problem for me,  I know we have to be carefull avoiding this situations but sometimes you have to torp in front a team mate or worse, they just drive on to them.

Is a simple solution, add a quick wheel command or a F key

Sorry for my bad english.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 4

[WORX]
Members
6,448 posts
16,189 battles
33 minutes ago, mastrec said:

I'm a main dd player (3.5k battles) and this is a very common problem for me,  I know we have to be carefull avoiding this situations but sometimes you have to torp in front a team mate or worse, they just drive on to them.

Um no... Its bad enough a cruiser wants to risk hitting two friendlies (with torps),  just because he wants to be careless with his ordnance..

No thank you... This will embolden bad behavior pre 2017 levels... No thank you...

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Supertester
22,836 posts
12,789 battles

It is not the job of friendly ships down range to watch for your torpedoes. Don't be afraid of checking fire when you see a ship that is close enough to get into the line of fire.

Friendly fire isn't and incoming fire has the right of way.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles

I can see the OP's point, a quick command is better than having to open the chat box and type and hope they see it, even a generic "warning torpedoes" and that can be done if you see red ones coming to hit a ship.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
Supertester
22,836 posts
12,789 battles
7 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I can see the OP's point, a quick command is better than having to open the chat box and type and hope they see it, even a generic "warning torpedoes" and that can be done if you see red ones coming to hit a ship.

True but the player should have realized that it was a flaky shot before pulling the trigger. Accidents do happen, accept the consequences and press on.

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

True but the player should have realized that it was a flaky shot before pulling the trigger. Accidents do happen, accept the consequences and press on.

I get that, and yes I agree, but having an f key for torp warning is a good idea

[GWG]
Supertester
22,836 posts
12,789 battles
8 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I get that, and yes I agree, but having an f key for torp warning is a good idea

True but I fear that too many would use it as an excuse for bad launches.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
3,224 posts
16,288 battles
4 hours ago, mastrec said:

1. Never torp behind teammates 

2. The friendly fire should do no damage to the targeted ship but reflect 100% on the firing ship.

I get sick of eating torps from someone launching behind me be it a human or a bot and taking damage because of it while the offender only turns pink and only takes damage once he does it again while being pink. There is enough to worry about in front of you to have to worry about what’s behind you as well (teammates).

[PVE]
Members
3,840 posts
22,029 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

But it could replace one of the unneeded F command keys like the :etc_swear: one that gets spammed every other battle.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[O-PN]
Members
2,099 posts
4,418 battles

Need a system on the hud that shows friendly torps inbound where they're green and if there's a likely hit possible it flashes red/green.  Friendly torps don't show up fast enough and the hud sucks.  The orientation of the torp should be properly shown around the ship instead of always showing a symbol as if it's pointed at the ship.

Nobody should be against something that improves our situation awareness.  I'd like them to show on the minimap with a triangular direction line thingy.  Several occasions I've sent torps down both sides of a teammate on coms telling them not to turn and it's killed a ship that could have caused some issues.  It's a good aggressive tactic to chase torps in when you know an enemy is likely in front.  Works great for rushing smoked up ships, especially if they've got hydro up.  Makes for a quick kill. 

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
3,010 posts
19,099 battles

An F key won't do much in many situations especially when the player is engaged with another ship.

For example, just the other day I was in a cap late in the game with my Alsace. I was helping to kill a DD coming towards it and bow on to an Iowa.

A Yoshino on my team decides to fire torps into the cap at the Iowa. Meanwhile the Iowa and my BB get close enough that he tries to ram me. As I avoid the ram I get a broadside full of torps from the Yoshino and he was mad at me for not avoiding them because I had time...lol.

[PVE]
Members
18,362 posts
11,368 battles
8 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

:Smile_great: :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Kizarvexis

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts
8 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

And fewer accidents might happen with the introduction of a simple key command, one that has been requested before.

[SIMP]
Members
1,081 posts
9,522 battles
10 hours ago, mastrec said:

That is a really good idea!

More communication is better!

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts
10 hours ago, mastrec said:

WG isn't going to do anything about it because it would give the "Oh my God, you own every piece of ordinance ever launched since Alpha" crowd less to pontificate about, so...

images.jpg

Edited by Doombeagle
typo

[TMS]
Members
2,820 posts
27,969 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

An F key won't do much in many situations especially when the player is engaged with another ship.

For example, just the other day I was in a cap late in the game with my Alsace. I was helping to kill a DD coming towards it and bow on to an Iowa.

A Yoshino on my team decides to fire torps into the cap at the Iowa. Meanwhile the Iowa and my BB get close enough that he tries to ram me. As I avoid the ram I get a broadside full of torps from the Yoshino and he was mad at me for not avoiding them because I had time...lol.

I tend to have to dodge friendly Yoshino and ZAO torps alot while in my shima because 95% of the time they are behind me and i can't always get out of the way.

Some warning would be nice because i already have a lot on my plate.

[5D]
Members
3,010 posts
19,099 battles
1 minute ago, Final8ty said:

I tend to have to dodge friendly Yoshino and ZAO torps alot while in my shima because 95% of the time they are behind me and i can't always get out of the way.

Some warning would be nice because i already have a lot on my plate.

Yeah your captain should be saying "That moron Yoshino fired torps 12 km behind us, watch out".

[TMS]
Members
2,820 posts
27,969 battles
3 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Yeah your captain should be saying "That moron Yoshino fired torps 12 km behind us, watch out".

Or 20km.

[ARCO]
Members
719 posts
1,220 battles

Just some kind of fast warning in the "B" cirle as "turn back" or "requesting support" would be nice.

I find italian torps the most prone for that kind of incident, as they have great range but very low speed

[O-PN]
Members
2,099 posts
4,418 battles
2 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

And fewer accidents might happen with the introduction of a simple key command, one that has been requested before.

Torp launches need to pop up like consumables and the ship should flash.  We can be told of hydro and radar, yet not torps!?  Even fighters call their missile launches and the type of missile it  is upon release so that all friendlies in the area know to BOLO. "Fox" and the corresponding number lets other pilots know a missile is loose and what its parameters are (radar guided, IR, etc)
image.png.a9c8c2df890e9a4a370e797fc63a04cd.png

Edited by NoSoMo

[REVY]
Members
1,662 posts
10,545 battles
19 hours ago, mastrec said:

OK..........

18 hours ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Don't torp where you'll hit teammates then

18 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

It is not the job of friendly ships down range to watch for your torpedoes. Don't be afraid of checking fire when you see a ship that is close enough to get into the line of fire.

Friendly fire isn't and incoming fire has the right of way.

14 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

1. Never torp behind teammates 

2. The friendly fire should do no damage to the targeted ship but reflect 100% on the firing ship.

I get sick of eating torps from someone launching behind me be it a human or a bot and taking damage because of it while the offender only turns pink and only takes damage once he does it again while being pink. There is enough to worry about in front of you to have to worry about what’s behind you as well (teammates).

^

Really nothing more needs to be said.

If there is even the most remote chance of your torpedoes hitting a friendly, you probably should not fire them.

You fired them, you own them. It is not the teammates fault if your torpedoes happen to hit them.

• Boring 1

[WOLFB]
Members
3,010 posts
12,610 battles

Don't fire torps behind a friendly.

If you do it by mistake then just ping the minimap and says in chat you dropped torps here and if you still hit a friendly just apologize and move on. Everyone makes mistake, having a TK once isn't the end of the world. But if you keep TK people for the same mistake you might want to reconsider your gaming choices.

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,940 posts
4,835 battles

For those who actually do pay attention: The torpedo warning alarm does go off, for all torpedoes capable of hitting your ship. I believe for DDs the DWTs still sound the alarm, but much fainter, and no voiceover. The only thing that does not happen with friendly torpedoes, is the voiceover. The Voiceover only happens with enemy torpedoes.